Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any experience with Inkbird or Thermopro thermometers  (Read 3321 times)

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Any experience with Inkbird or Thermopro thermometers
« on: November 28, 2019, 07:39:22 PM »

Have a Thermo Pop thermometer that reads in about 4 to 5 seconds and love it. Saw a Thermopro TP19 for $25. Claim 2 to 3 second read, and water proof. Inkbird is even cheaper and comes with recharging cable with 2 to 3 second read. Saw these while looking at classic Thermapen. Everyone tells me there the Cadillac but cost $80.

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Re: Any experience with Inkbird or Thermopro thermometers
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 08:43:27 PM »

I have a couple of thermapens, and bought 2 thermopro TP18 no where near as fast I gave them to people that needed a thermometer but won't use it enough to know they aren't as good and the thermoworks product. Temp wise they were within a degree of each other when I compared them. No experience with the TP19 or the inkbird.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2019, 10:06:14 AM »

Thermapen is on sale for $59 today.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BC Buck

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »

Thermapen is on sale for $59 today.
Thanks, went with the MK4 on sale for $75.

tewharaunz

• Using less gas.
  • Charteris Bay, NZ
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »

I have been using the Inkbird 2-probe Bluetooth for about 2 years and recently both probes have started under-reporting temps, but one is worse than the other.

There is no way to calibrate (or troubleshoot) and 2x replacement probes aren’t much cheaper than a new unit.

An inaccurate thermometer is worse than no thermometer so I’m leaning towards a Thermopro.
Traeger Pro 22 Traeger Lil Tex w/ GMG Pizza oven insert GMG Davy Crocket

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2019, 01:51:08 PM »

I think the Thermoworks sale is still going on.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Th3Batman86

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • I love Pellet Grills - Abraham Lincoln (Probably)
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2019, 04:48:10 PM »

I bought a thermopro after seeing so many ads on reddit and good reviews on Amazon. I sent it back after one use. Was not accurate at all. I have been seeing the same type of marketing for Inkbird so not sure I trust it.

I went with the Maverick XR 50 from Adrenaline bbq. I have been very happy with it. They also had a few that were having a problem and sent new ones to everyone who owned one. I thought that was pretty stand up. So now I have two of them.
LoneStar Grillz 42”, Blackstone Griddle, Pit Barrel Cooker, Meadow Creek TS250, Weber Summit Kamado, Gozney Dome,

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 08:43:56 AM »

I've had my Thermoworks smoke for a few years and still love it.

Accurate,  great battery life and pretty decent range on the wireless display.   Doesn't display on an app on my phone,  but they do sell a part that will do that.

I'd buy it again...

The wifi for the Smoke was on sale yesterday for about 40% off.

Last day of sales is today.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:42:46 AM by Bar-B-Lew »

RWhyman

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 10:38:05 AM »

I'm a big ThermoPro fan. I have many different ones and a timer. All of them have preformed great. Customer service has been great when I've had a probe stop working.
Blaz'n Grand Slam, Yoder 640, 36" Blackstone Griddle, RecTec 340 & 22" Blackstone Griddle in the 5th Wheel

dclord

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 09:41:42 PM »

I have an Inkbird with two probes and the accuracy is pretty poor. The two probes don't even read the same while sitting on the counter. Even the inconsistency is inconsistent. I think a good part of the problem is the contacts where the probes plug in.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2023, 01:40:31 AM »

I've used the ThermoPro Twin TempSpike unit a few times.  I love it.  I suspect that it'll replace my FireBoard unit.

I had a confusing few hours setting it up because I don't like the way the Owner's Manual is written.  I'm sure it makes sense to someone who already understands the product, but I had zero entry level knowledge and I almost always interpret things differently than what the author was trying to explain.

As one of many examples, the owner's manual reads, "When both probes are placed in the Booster for charging, the Booster will be automatically turned off."  So I thought that the unit turns off when charging.  When I couldn't find the instructions for shutting it off for storage, I texted ThermoPro Customer Service for help.  The response was that it'll turn off after five minutes when the two probes are in their storage positions.  It doesn't have to be charging.

So from my perspective, the instruction should read, "When both probes are placed in the Booster as if for charging, the Booster will be automatically turned off."  But those of you who don't have Asperger syndrome may not be troubled by these instructions that I view as incomplete.

There are several reviews on Youtube.

I recently discovered this unit from Combustion Inc.  I'll probably buy one.  It may reduce my wondering if I have the IT probe at the proper depth.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Phil0110

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2023, 12:47:17 AM »

You can look through this article about the best meat thermometers the Thermopro is the first one, I think it has more advantages.
Pages: [1]   Go Up