Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Igniter Replacement  (Read 8093 times)

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Igniter Replacement
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2020, 02:07:02 PM »

One last thought. Is it possible the igniter stays activated, that is stays on. Never turns off.  A fast + easy test would be to use a power consumption meter such as this one.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=kilowatt+meter&qid=1604342076&sr=8-6https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Electricity-Usage-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=kilowatt+meter&qid=1604342076&sr=8-6

The initial draw @ start-up should be ~ 300 to 400 Watts ( fan, auger + igniter). Then after ~ 3 - 4 Min; drop to under 100 Watts( fan + auger, if called for) could be as low as 30 Watts( fan only).

Without a power consumption meter, use a test light or a voltmeter to check for power in the igniter circuit. Should be energized @ start-up then drop to "0" or light out after ~ 3 - 4 Min.

If the igniter becomes deactivated and stays that way after start-up, then the igniter itself becomes suspect.

I just can't comment on Englander igniter reliability. I do know there are some less reliable igniters. A few years back igniter failure was very common in most pits.  It is possible Englander bought several

rejected or low quality igniters to sell @ a low $, or just got a bad batch.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »

You could go the old fashioned route and remove the igniter start manually.

Throw a handful of pellets in the bottom of the firepot.  Start them on fire manually.  Once the fire gets raging, turn on the smoker.  If you do it before, it may blow out your small fire.  I know from experience.

Downside is you have to pull out everything in the grill to startup your grill every time.  Upside is that you get to vacuum it before you start up and maybe not have any issues once you get the fire and the controller blowing air.

My youngest son has been doing that for years on his GridIron.
Maybe I should buy him an igniter for Christmas.  ;D
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:13:22 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

sbryant24

• Using less gas.
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2022, 11:14:54 AM »

Any chance of replacing the ignitor with a ceramic version?
Rec Tec RT-680 ( Sold ) Genesis S-330 Firecraft Q-450 ( Selling ) Rec Tec RT-590

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »

Any chance of replacing the ignitor with a ceramic version?

I wouldn't see why not, you may need to get a burn pot to go with it as some attach differently.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up