Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 02ebz06 on 20 Nov 2020
  • A very simple Green Chili recipe...

Green Chili

Ingredients:
    1    lb     "Cooked" pork (cubed or shredded)
    1    can   28 oz. Diced Tomatoes
    2    can   10.5 oz. Cream of Mushroom soup
    1    ea     Large Onion (diced)
    5*  ea     Whole Roasted Hatch Chilies (skinned, seeded, cut into small pieces)
                 Salt and Pepper

Directions:
    You can speed things up if you pre-cook the onions in the microwave.

Put everything in slow cooker, cook on medium (stirring occasionally) until onions are done.
    Salt and Pepper to taste.
    * Add more or less Chilies to taste (or for heat).

Serve with tortillas.

• #2 by ofelles on 20 Nov 2020
  • Love me some green chili.  :clap: The recipe I use is much more complicated
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 20 Nov 2020
  • Yes, I have one those as well.
    This one is simplicity at it's best.
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 20 Nov 2020
  • What would I use instead of the Hatch Green chilis. I have never sen them around here unless they are in a can.
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 21 Nov 2020
  • Check in the freezer section.
    Canned chilies can be used, but have preservatives in them that change the flavor. Frozen ones do not.

Other options would be find dehydrated chilies in Mexican Food section and re-hydrate them or maybe Jalapenos.

We have these in the frozen food section.

• #6 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Nov 2020
  • You can use Anaheim's instead of hatch and get much the same flavor and texture.
  • #7 by 02ebz06 on 21 Nov 2020
  • You can use Anaheim's instead of hatch and get much the same flavor and texture.

I call them Hatch, because they come from Hatch, NM
    They are Anaheim's.

You would have to roast them yourself.
  • #8 by Kristin Meredith on 21 Nov 2020
  • I was told that unless they were grown in Hatch, NM they could not be called Hatch and that Anaheim's were just a slightly different version of a hatch.  But like Rick in Casablanca, I may have been misinformed. :pig:
  • #9 by BigDave83 on 21 Nov 2020

I think I still have some dried Anaheims.
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 22 Nov 2020
  • I was told that unless they were grown in Hatch, NM they could not be called Hatch and that Anaheim's were just a slightly different version of a hatch.  But like Rick in Casablanca, I may have been misinformed. :pig:

I did some googling...
    They are the same pepper but have different flavors.
    Anaheim peppers came to the US (California) from Mexico.
    When they started growing them in the Hatch, New Mexico area the flavor changed due to soil and climate differences.

The Anaheim peppers you buy in the produce section are most likely from California or Mexico.

What the flavor difference is, I don't know.

I might have to find some Anaheim peppers and roast them to see what the taste difference is compared the the Hatch Chilies.
Pages:
Actions