Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Israeli Hummus  (Read 3734 times)

elenis

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Israeli Hummus
« on: April 17, 2022, 09:08:40 PM »

Since pmillen suggested I should post the hummus recipe I had mentioned in another thread in the recipe section here it is.

This recipe comes from one of my Milk Street cookbooks. I get asked to make it somewhat often because it is that tasty and if you can get into it while it is still warm all the better. My understanding is that in Israel a fresh homemade hummus is something a lot of people enjoy as part of their breakfast.

227 grams of dried chickpeas (small work best)
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup sesame tahini at room temperature
3 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice

In a large bowl combine 8 cups water, the chickpeas and 2 tablespoons of salt. Soak for at least 12 hours.

In a stockpot over high heat bring another 10 cups of water and the baking soda to a boil. Drain the soaked chickpeas and add to the pot. Return to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium and cook until the skins are falling off and the chick peas are very tender, 40-50 minutes.

Reserve 3/4 of a cup of the chickpea cooking water and then drain the chick peas into a mesh strainer and give them a minute to let all the liquid drain. Then add all the chickpeas to a food processor and the teaspoon of salt and run the food processor for 3 minutes. (the amount of time they will be in the food processor or blender overall is going to seem like a really long time, but it is important for getting the proper texture to the hummus)

Add the tahini to the processor/blender and blend for an additional minute. Use a rubber spatula to scrap the sides and bottom to ensure everything is mixed well. Then turn the machine back on and slowly add the reserved cooking liquid and lemon juice until fully combined. Then you can taste and add more salt if you need to.

Beyond that you can move it to a serving bowl and add whatever flavors you like. Lots of people like to drizzle a nice extra virgin olive oil over it and sprinkle a little chopped parsley, ground cumin, and ground paprika over it, but whatever additional flavors you add, or if you like it as is, is up to you.
Mak 2 Star General #1799

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Israeli Hummus
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 11:07:43 AM »

:)

Yum!
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower
Pages: [1]   Go Up