Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Jiggle Racing on 15 Jun 2022
  • It has served me well and it works great. Temps across the grate are pretty even and match the controller for the most part. Different pellets, and ambient humidity have the most effect. The hot spot is back right. I only use the center heat deflector, drip pan, and duct relocating stack inlet to left side. Threw away the two side heat deflectors. I'm on my 3rd controller due to corrosion from living near the beach and 2nd hotrod. So.... what to get now? One main feature I want is quick and easy fire pot clean-out.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
  • #2 by BigDave83 on 16 Jun 2022
  • As for fire pot clean out, I am sure there may be others but Camp Chef is the one I am aware of having something like that. If I was looking to buy today and was not looking at dropping bigger Cookshack or MAK money. I would be buying a Grilla Silverbac AT. I think their dual mode controller would be a great thing to have.

Hope you find a cooker you like with the features you want, it is not always an easy process to do that.
  • #3 by Canadian John on 16 Jun 2022

•  A good quality stainless should help with structural corrosion issues. The electronics - that's a different story..Some are better made than others.. 

Igniters have come a long way since the early days with failures almost unheard of.

By now you should have a good handle on what you expect from a pellet fired pit.  Comes down to cost and how that relates to the features you are looking for.

Easy burn pot clean out is a good feature. My old Traeger was a chore to access.. The Memphis is a breeze.

• #4 by Brushpopper on 16 Jun 2022
  • Good luck in your endeavor to find a new pit.  The three that I have owned have been a pain to clean out so the Woodwind sounds appealing when I have to clean mine out.  What do you have on the stack of your DB?
  • #5 by Jiggle Racing on 16 Jun 2022
  • Yah I'm paralyzed on picking a new pit. I do believe they perform the best when the burn pot is cleaned.

I toss on a 10 ft vent pipe during startup to prevent a ton of smoke blasting into my neighbors windows. Then I remove it once I get cleaner smoke and because it also causes large temp fluctuations

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

• #6 by pmillen on 16 Jun 2022
  • As I recall, the Blaz'n Pit has a slide-out fire pot.  IDK much more about them.
  • #7 by Bentley on 16 Jun 2022
  • Take a look at the Camp Chef Woodwind PT on here.  It had space, an easy clean fire pot, and the uniqueness of the side grill for finish work, or the quick grill when you dont want to take the time to wait for the Wood.

• #8 by Bentley on 16 Jun 2022
  • I can only imagine how many advancements this grill has had in 5 years!
  • #9 by Jiggle Racing on 16 Jun 2022
  • Thanks Bent! I like it!!
  • #10 by 1MoreFord on 17 Jun 2022
  • AFAIK all the Camp Chef grills have the fire pot clean out.  They also offer pellet hopper clean outs and some have moveable  heat deflectors that allow for hot grilling.  The propane side cookers are available in a couple of versions and can be added to most all of their grills down the road if you don't want to spring for one up front.
  • #11 by Jiggle Racing on 20 Jun 2022
  • all good info. I know Camp Chef is coming out with a pellet/propane combo grill that I'm looking out for. I also want to check out the Recteq 1070 which is an all stainless unit.
  • #12 by atlasx2001 on 28 Jul 2022
  • Please share your feedback.   I too have a GMG that is nearing its lifecycle.   I have done a few replacements including a new auger (thanks to a great rain storm).    I am thinking Yoder as some friends rave about it.   I just don't like the rusting....plus nearest dealer is pretty far.   Rec is on my list too.
  • #13 by MP09 on 31 Jul 2022
  • Blazin grills pot cleanout works like a charm. Well designed .
  • #14 by silverbullet on 29 Dec 2022
  • Started  with a Traeger back in 2008. Then on to a GMG JB, My DC was born in 2013 I still have & keep it at my camper. On to a Louisiana 800 Elite, Now have a Camp Chef Woodwind 26.
    Camp Chef cooks as good as any of my previous pits. The deal breaker was the easy clean pot. Also has a sliding heat deflector so you can cook over the fire. I'm real happy with this pit. Would buy another in a heartbeat if necessary.
  • #15 by 02ebz06 on 29 Dec 2022
  • Glad you are pleased with it.  That's what's important.
Pages:
Actions