Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by BigDave83 on 10 Jul 2022
  • There is probably a difference in the two, so call this what you like.

Has been a long time since I have made or tried to make some. I made some from a kit the other week and it didn't turn out well, my mistake on that one. I questioned the folks on the FB page that I am in, they gave me some idea of what went wrong on the first batch. I asked for a recipe with things that I would have, as a lot of them have these special things like powdered dextrose, sodium erythodate. So the guy in charge suggested a recipe.

Some ingredients like savory and corriander I am not a fan of so I omitted them and added some others. Below is what I ended up with.

I did them in the little Davey C, it took me about 5 hours, I started at 150 for a while then upped temps and I did end them at 180.

Summer Sausage               

Meat             (Pounds)   5            
    Kosher Salt        (Tablespoons)   3.5            
    Sugar                   (Tablespoons)   3.5            
    Cure 1            (Teaspoons)   1            
    Buttermilk Powder        (Cups)   0.5            
    Mustard Powder         (Teaspoons)   4            
    Garlic Powder              (Teaspoons)   3            
    Onion Powder               (Teaspoons)   2            
    Citric Acid                    (Teaspoons)   0.5            
    Black Pepper              (Teaspoons)   3            
    Chipotle Powder         (Teaspoons)   1            
    Mustard Seeds             (Teaspoons)   2            
    Ice Water                  (Cups)   1            

Grind Meat.                  
    Mix spices and water together well, ( I used the Kitchenaid with dough hook )                  
    Cover with plastic wrap and in the refrigerator 2 days.                  
    Grind again.  (I did not do this step, original recipe called for it, I opted for a few minutes in the stand mixer.)                  
    Stuff in to Casings.                  
    Smoke at 180° for 3.5hours or until internal temp is 150°                  
    Ice Bath for 1 hour.                  
    Slice and eat it up.                  
  • #2 by 02ebz06 on 10 Jul 2022
  • Looks pretty tasty.  Nice project.
  • #3 by Bentley on 10 Jul 2022
  • That is nicely done.  I tried that trail bologna way back when and I would prefer summer sausage!
  • #4 by BigDave83 on 10 Jul 2022
  • That is nicely done.  I tried that trail bologna way back when and I would prefer summer sausage!

Okay what is the actual difference. I kind if always thought it was just a regional name thing.
  • #5 by Bentley on 10 Jul 2022
  • Maybe so, and maybe I just Screwed the Pooch on the Ring Bologna.  It did not taste like other Sumer Sausage I have had.  I have always liked Summer Sausage.
  • #6 by BigDave83 on 10 Jul 2022
  • Maybe so, and maybe I just Screwed the Pooch on the Ring Bologna.  It did not taste like other Sumer Sausage I have had.  I have always liked Summer Sausage.

I understand the screw up thing. I have more of those than I want to admit.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Jul 2022
  • ring bologna, summer sausage, and sandwich slice bologna are three different things to me
  • #8 by 02ebz06 on 11 Jul 2022
  • ring bologna, summer sausage, and sandwich slice bologna are three different things to me

I agree, except for the ring bologna, never had it.
    Summer Sausage has more flavor IMO.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Jul 2022

I agree, except for the ring bologna, never had it.
    Summer Sausage have more flavor IMO.

There is also a thing here called Lebanon Bologna too which is different than the others already listed.
  • #10 by BigDave83 on 11 Jul 2022
  • Love Lebanon Bologna and cheese with frenchs yellow, even better if I have the bread or roll buttered. But not the sweet Lebanon, that is horrible tasting to me.
  • #11 by BigDave83 on 11 Jul 2022
  • This turned out pretty good, had some on some Ritz crackers with some longhorn cheese. everything room temp.

I will make this again, maybe work a bit more seasoning, the chipotle didn't really add any spice, I didn't want to over do it as the GF is big on really spicy.
  • #12 by yorkdude on 11 Jul 2022
  • I would be all over that, looks great.
  • #13 by Canadian John on 11 Jul 2022

•  Picture perfect. Amazingly good looking. Wish I could have a taste.
Pages:
Actions