Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by MikeMcQ on 05 May 2023
  • 3 days since my last post and 3 days since I last called Memphis support. Now 9 days since ordering replacement controller. Still nothing, no notice of shipping or charge to cc. no communication of any kind from Memphis. I logged an "online" service request this morning and did get an automated email response, first communication of any kind from Memphis. Will see if "one of our support agents who will contact you within the next two business days." actually happens and or if the replacement controller actually ships!

Logging an online service request this morning (referencing previous phone calls etc.) is/was the only way I could think of to attempt to escalate the issue. I mean it's beyond ridiculous! 9 days ago was told the replacement controller was in stock and would likely ship next day but they still haven't shipped the dang thing. Pathetic.  :'(
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 05 May 2023
  • Wow! Hope I don't need any service help on my probably close to 15 year old Elite.
  • #18 by MikeMcQ on 08 May 2023
  • Apparently logging online service request Friday worked. Text of email received this morning "Thank you for your patience, tracking number is 500799394982 and will be arriving Wednesday."  Checked tracking (wasn't UPS or USPS 3rd try a charm FedEx) shows shipped Saturday eta Wednesday.

Interestingly cc still not charged as of moments ago. If not charged by time I receive, install and confirm new controller works will call Memphis back about processing payment!
  • #19 by 02ebz06 on 08 May 2023
  •  :clap:
    Could possible be because of the unkind note I sent them about their lack of service ever since Greg left.
  • #20 by MikeMcQ on 09 May 2023
  • Interestingly cc still not charged as of moments ago. If not charged by time I receive, install and confirm new controller works will call Memphis back about processing payment!
    $710.25 charged to cc (inc. shipping and tax) OUCH! More than many entry level smoker grills cost for just this replacement controller. :-X Of course a Memphis Pro especially pre-China isn't entry level but still, dang.
  • #21 by 02ebz06 on 09 May 2023
  • That's a really big OUCH!
    They are going to put themselves out of business.
  • #22 by MikeMcQ on 09 May 2023
  • Wow! Hope I don't need any service help on my probably close to 15 year old Elite.
    Yeah I definitely expected better than 3 1/2 years before a catastrophic failure, but doo doo occurs! May your Elite rock on with another 15 years!
  • #23 by MikeMcQ on 09 May 2023
  • That's a really big OUCH!
    They are going to put themselves out of business.
    While no question a big ouch grateful to be in a position it wasn't a break the bank decision to replace.

If buying now I definitely wouldn't even consider a Memphis, besides IMO their new ITC3 models being butt ugly with the controller hanging off the side like an afterthought, moving manufacturing to China well not a good sign to me. A money grab not a maintain quality move.
  • #24 by 02ebz06 on 09 May 2023
  • I agree on that controller. Older one was much better I though.
    Really annoyed me that as soon as you turn it on it goes right into cook mode feeding pellets.  Really stupid.
    If you just want to set up WIFI you have to do it while it in cook mode.  Not very bright.

I ruled them out quickly when looking for another grill.
    The Fireboard controller on the Lone Star Grillz pellet grill I have on order lets you do what ever you want when you power on, then you can press the start button when ready to cook or cold smoke.
    Really looking forward to get it.  13 weeks to go.  :'(
  • #25 by MikeMcQ on 09 May 2023
  • Really annoyed me that as soon as you turn it on it goes right into cook mode feeding pellets.  Really stupid.
    If you just want to set up WIFI you have to do it while it in cook mode.  Not very bright.
    Actually, to me makes total sense to start up when you turn it on. It's not like I need to do a setup procedure every time I power on! MAK is same way turn it on and immediately feeding pellets initializing fire up. In fact IIRC every pellet grill I've owned since first Traeger in the 90s started up when turned on. Need to do some extensive programming? Turn it off to stop pellet feed etc. and go for it....
  • #26 by 02ebz06 on 09 May 2023

• Actually, to me makes total sense to start up when you turn it on. It's not like I need to do a setup procedure every time I power on! MAK is same way turn it on and immediately feeding pellets initializing fire up. In fact IIRC every pellet grill I've owned since first Traeger in the 90s started up when turned on. Need to do some extensive programming? Turn it off to stop pellet feed etc. and go for it....
    I guess we have different views, makes no sense to me to start cook mode before you have even set temp.
    I agree that every one I have owned goes straight to cook mode, and bugged me.  Maybe I'm weird. Haha

It would really be simple to set a flag.
    If flag is set, cook, useful if you hade a power failure, go right back to cooking on power up.
    If not set, do nothing and let person set temp, setup, or whatever.
    Clear flag at shutdown.
    Easy Peasy...
  • #27 by MikeMcQ on 12 May 2023
  • Pro back up and running. New controller (ITC v2) arrived via FedEx Wednesday 2 weeks after ordering. Memphis had emailed me a link to video to r&r controller. It said needed 3/8" socket or wrench, phillips, and 5.5mm socket. I had 5 & 6mm sockets, checked local hardware store and no 5.5mm. One guy in customer service (Parkrose Hardware not Memphis) who knew what he was talking about told me to try 7/32" SAE very slightly larger than 5.5mm. Yup that's what was needed and much more typical size socket.

Well things started to progress until attemping to disconnect a very stuck on connector from old controller. Couple minutes wiggling rocking pulling hard and it finally jumped off. Unfortunately my left hand flew back a good distance and hit the removed shield edge. Top of hand about 1 1/2 inch deep cut cushing blood. :-[ Normally I'd just pressure bandage up best I could at home but this seemed a bit severe. So had Debi run me to the ER. 3 1/2 hours and 3 stitches later headed back home. Way past dinner so we grabbed a Jersey Mike's hot sub on the way home. Pro work done for the day/evening.

Had other things to do Thursday until afternoon so then went back to it. CAFEFULLY removed remaining cable connections, removed the 4 small 5.5mm nuts with the 7/32" socket, pulled and replaced controller, buttoned her up. Fired right up. Debi wanted dogs for dinner so 4 Nathan's on @ 180f for 1 1/2hour then upped temp to 300f to finish about 20 more minutes. We like them to plump until they just start to split.

Had have a weird wifi anomaly but it's working from my phone app even though at setup doesn't recognize home network. Tried a few things like resetting, then moving router no go. Tried using my phone's hotspot but it didn't show up on the Memphis either. However when I turned off the phone wifi hotspot the Memphis showed up on my phone as a wifi connection! Strange. Didn't attempt to connect just enable my usual home 5g connection. It was after this brought up the Memphis app on my phone and whoa, it's working to monitor and control the Pro! I highly suspect for now the app will only work at home not out and about like it used to since not connecting through my home network. Don't know for sure though, haven't tested at a distance yet.
  • #28 by Canadian John on 13 May 2023

•  FINALLY - good to hear the pit is up & running.

A NOTE ON PULLING CONNECTORS..Hold one connecter in each hand. DO NOT PULL as when the connectors dislodge your hands go flying with great force. Instead, hold the connectors one in each

hand & use your two thumbs pushing aganst each other to separate the connectors. The disconnect is far less violent this way.
  • #29 by 02ebz06 on 13 May 2023
  • Sorry to hear about the cut,  Hurts thinking about it.
    I think you were lucky getting out of ER in only 3-1/2 hours.
    Took my wife is a few months ago and after 11 hours they took her in.
    Another hour before we got out.
    Sure glad I didn't have a finger cut off or something worse.

Bet you're happy to have the Pro running again.
  • #30 by Jon515 on 10 Dec 2023
  • For the money you paid both times, that is terrible.  I have 10 year old GMG and when my igniter went out ($15 bucks ) I had it in 3 days.
Pages:
Actions