Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 02ebz06 on 04 May 2023
  • Had the the Yoder YS640S with comp cart at the top of my list.
    Then saw a review of a YS60S by AngryBBQ, and he had some advice for newbies to NOT buy this as your first grill, but buy something cheap to start with to see it you will stay with it.
    Good advice.   Also, he made mention of another USA made grill that I had forgotten all about - Lone Star GrillZ.

Well, after watching their video, and numerous emails with Chris about the grills, I pulled the trigger.

I ordered the 20" x 42" pellet grill.  No shortage of grill space in this puppy.   ;D
    Comes with 5" solid rubber tires, I upgraded to 8" pneumatic.

Some nice features, some that Yoder doesn't have:
    Grates slide out.
    40lb pellet hopper
    Pellets are ignited by hot air.   I guess a fan blowing hot air over the ceramic igniter extends the life of the igniter.
    They say the contact with pellets cause igniter failure.
    Burn pot pulls out for cleaning
    Has FireBoard Controller with 6 probe ports
    Chris said the hole for probes on the grill is big enough for 6 probes to go through.  My Memphis could barely allow one to go through.
    Auger has an open center. Supposed to virtually eliminate any auger jams
    Auger tube is 8" long, hopper is out 10" and pellets slide down a ramp, so unlikely to have any auger fires.

Lead time is 6-18 weeks.  Now the waiting...
  • #2 by MikeMcQ on 04 May 2023
  • Chris said the hole for probes on the grill is big enough for 6 probes to go through.  My Memphis could barely allow one to go through.

Interesting, I can get all 3 heavy jacket probes through no problem my Memphis Pro. Maybe they changed with the made in China stuff.
  • #3 by 02ebz06 on 04 May 2023
  • Chris said the hole for probes on the grill is big enough for 6 probes to go through.  My Memphis could barely allow one to go through.

Interesting, I can get all 3 heavy jacket probes through no problem my Memphis Pro. Maybe they changed with the made in China stuff.

I could get more than one Thermoworks Smoke through, but the Memphis probe have a thick metal casing, probably 3/16 or 1/4 inch in diameter.
  • #4 by MikeMcQ on 04 May 2023
  • I was referring to the Memphis probes getting all 3 through no problem.... ;)
  • #5 by 02ebz06 on 04 May 2023
  • I was referring to the Memphis probes getting all 3 through no problem.... ;)
    Must have a larger hole than I had on the Elite.
  • #6 by Fire708 on 04 May 2023
  • Congrats!
  • #7 by pmillen on 05 May 2023
  • I'm happy for you.  That appears to be a superior choice.  There's an uncrating and burn-in video on youtube that has caused me to rethink my short list.  I'll continue to research it.
  • #8 by 02ebz06 on 05 May 2023
  • I've seen both of those videos.
    Uncrating is pretty straight forward.
    Will have to keep track of every nail when taking it apart, since I ordered the 8" pneumatic tire upgrade.
  • #9 by okie smokie on 06 May 2023
  • Very impressive, and the price is reasonable for all that quality, and options. Keep us informed.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 May 2023
  • After my pellet grills that I have left kick the bucket, I am not sure that I will buy another.  Sad, but true.
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 07 May 2023
  • After my pellet grills that I have left kick the bucket, I am not sure that I will buy another.  Sad, but true.

Reason ?
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 May 2023

Reason ?

Too much hassle vs a gas grill compared to to the cost differential nowadays.   They used to be almost comparable in price but it seems a good pellet grill is 3x+ a Weber gas grill nowadays.  I also haven't budgeted $5k+ for a new one,
  • #13 by MikeMcQ on 07 May 2023
    Which of your pellet grills listed are still functioning? Could be a long long time until you'd need to make that decision!  ;D
  • #14 by 02ebz06 on 07 May 2023
  • Too much hassle vs a gas grill compared to to the cost differential nowadays.   They used to be almost comparable in price but it seems a good pellet grill is 3x+ a Weber gas grill nowadays.  I also haven't budgeted $5k+ for a new one,

Well, you probably wouldn't want a new Memphis anyway, you'd be disappointed when comparing it to what you have.
    There are American made units for a lot less money that have removable burn pots, or a way to dump the ash in less than a minute.
    Don't have to vacuum inside for many cooks.
    Cleaning exterior is no different that a gasser.

• #15 by chefjeff on 19 Aug 2023
  • Just saw your post, written on May 18....looks like you are getting very close to delivery!  I ordered the same grill, other than getting the 20 x 36 inch.  I ordered on July 3, and hopefully mid October I'll be in business. 
Pages:
Actions