Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Traeger JR too much heat after repairs  (Read 1866 times)

DMikeM

• Lurker
Traeger JR too much heat after repairs
« on: August 09, 2023, 01:33:39 PM »

I have a Traeger JR or Tail gaiter I acquired from a hoarder house clean up about 10 years ago, free brand new in the box. I have used it a lot I cook everything in it. Years ago I switched the manual controller to the Ortech digital and had to replace that once as I couldn't get the temps to hold above 250F. I would get the intake fan squeal on cold days but it would go away after a minute or 2.
A few days ago it stopped working so I pulled the controller and found the fuse blown. Replaced fuse it blew instantly. S I ordered a newer digital controller with the 2 probe ports and replaced the sensor probe. Pop fuse blew out. So I replaced the fans and auger motor and fire rod. The new pot would not fit but the old one is in good shape. I left the rod out just about 1/4 inch. it fires up fine and burns pellets again.

Problem is even on the low or smoke setting I got to over 450F (tested with digital oven probe) display showed errh I think. Error hot, looked inside and it looked like a blast furnace under the pan. I checked the pot after shutdown and it was full of charred pellets. I cleaned it out and covered it up since it was late. I plan on checking that I did't plug wires in wrong and move the rod back to 1/8th inch.

Anyone else have a similar experience and maybe go back to the previous controller? I have ribs thawed out..... ::)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
Re: Traeger JR too much heat after repairs
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 02:52:00 PM »

To me, it sounds like a problem where the unit is plugged into the electrical outlet!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 03:08:16 PM »

Don't know much about your Traeger model. Question I have is do you have to manually light it or does it have a hot rod/igniter? If it has an igniter there is more then likely your issue, it shorted out and pops the fuse. replace the fuse, and unplug the igniter if it has one and light the cooker with a torch, a few fritos or how ever you have to get the pellets burning.

DMikeM

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 04:48:03 PM »

I've tested my outlet, it's fine. The fuses are not blowing out any longer but it just keeps burning even on smoke, just tested and it went to 450f in about 8 minutes. Checked all wires cleaned up where rtd probe mounts, it ignites pellets with the fire rod. It's 1/8 inch exposed. Will remove new Meat Tender controller and try the old Ortech one.

I think the original burn rod had failed and that's why it was blowing fuses.

DMikeM

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2023, 07:52:12 PM »

Okay so the Meatender upgraded controller (Item#365) I purchased is either defective or not compatible with the Traeger JR. I went back to my Ortech 100 replacement and after a few test runs and adjusting the PID a little, the grill is working fine.
Meatender controller being sent back.

Anyone have a recommendation for a known to work controller with meat probes for a traeger Jr grill?

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2023, 08:04:38 PM »

I know there are a lot  of them on Amazon, most look to be made by the same company just a different name on them.

I put a Pellet Pro/Smoke Daddy on my Pit boss vertical. It has one probe, Savannah Stoker is another good controller from everything I have read.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2023, 10:38:30 AM »

Get a separate wireless thermometer. It will be better and able to be used with more than one grill. Maverick, SnSGrills, Fireboard, Thermoworks, etc. There are even several players in the wireless probe market now too, I’m loving my Combustion Inc. setup.

I quit using the onboard meat probes on pellet grills a while ago. It’s nice to have something that tells you if the grill itself has an episode. Until I got the Combustion set, the Fireboard was used just about every cook.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2023, 04:11:26 PM »

I have a Savannah Stoker in my Trager Select and it works fine, I don't know if it's compatible with the Traeger Junior.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas
Pages: [1]   Go Up