Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ham Pot Pie  (Read 1421 times)

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
Ham Pot Pie
« on: November 05, 2023, 07:54:02 PM »

Had two ham bone with a fare amount of meat left on and some stock from smoking a butt I cured and smoked. Decided it had been a while since I had made ham pot pie. (not as good as Womans growing up) So here is what we did.

Tossed the bones in the 8 quart instant pot covered with water, for about 40 minutes. Took them out and took the meat off and kind of shredded it, dumped the left over strained stock in the turkey fryer pot, also added about 1.5 gallon of water and some ham base from Gordons food.To that I added some chopped onion and garlic.

For the dough I made it in 2 batches. Each batch was.

3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder (not sure this did anything)
3/4 cup of milk (could probably use water)
2 tablespoons olive oil

If you have an egg noodle recipe you could use it and just roll and cut as below.

Mix together and add milk or flour as needed to get a formable dough. I ended up needing more milk, I kneaded it a bit to get it all together and then left  on the table and covered with a bowl for about 15 minutes.

Divided in to 4 pieces to make rolling it easier. flour the board well and roll out to 1/4 inch or slightly less. Cut with the pizza cutter and then laid on a rack to dry some, you could just add right to the pot of boiling ham broth if you are making smaller amount.

After all the dough was rolled and cut, I left them dry a bit while I peeled and cubed some potatoes, I had youkon golds here so that is what I used. You can use your own judgement on the amount of potatoes you choose to add, I assume they were added back in the day to help control the salt flavor in the end product. Growing up there were cooked dried big lima beans that I would pick out. These are not a part of my recipe. But feel free toadd if you like them.

Add the dough to the boiling broth and stir as you are adding at times to keep them from sticking together, once all in boil for a while, time will really depend on how thick your dough is. after the dough was getting close I added the potatoes and the shredded ham and cooked for for another 10 minutes then just covered and left sit. If I was  not making this big of an amount I would have left it for about 30 minutes before eating.

This was a large amount, ended up filling the roaster as you can see, we had this for a birthday party, I made it the day before because like most things like this it is better the next day.

Should have taken another picture of it on the plate but I didn't do that.

everyone must have liked it because they all took containers of it home, very little left in the fridge tonight.

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
Re: Ham Pot Pie
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2023, 06:06:48 AM »

A great meal for a cold Fall day..  Sounds delicious.

hughver

• University of Louisiana
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 10:44:04 AM »

Interesting, but not something that I would try.
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2023, 08:44:46 PM »

I love chicken pot pie like that, but never had ham pot pie.  That reminds me.  I need my wife or mother to make some pot pie this winter.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2023, 09:17:49 PM »

Big Dave, tell me if I'm understanding this cook.

It isn't individual one-serving pies, it's more like a big pot of the individual pie's filling with what would normally be the top crust cooked in the pot with the filling.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2023, 09:40:45 PM »

No, it is more similar to a dumpling soup
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

BigDave83

• South West PA
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2023, 07:16:50 AM »

Big Dave, tell me if I'm understanding this cook.

It isn't individual one-serving pies, it's more like a big pot of the individual pie's filling with what would normally be the top crust cooked in the pot with the filling.

As Lew said more of a flat dumpling. I had to much liquid or not enough dough it is usually thicker, like a gravy, also this was the first time using this brand of ham base and it darkened it more than normal.

I did a trial run on the dough the week before and made it with chicken and chicken stock, added in a bag of frozen mixed vegetables. That I used a corn starch slurry to thicken. and decided to change up the dough a bit for this one.

So you could make it with whatever protein base you like and add in what ever you like. I believe the PA Dutch Ham Pot Pie is just as the ham stock, taters and dough with the shredded ham added back in.

It was something Woman would make when I was growing up and I never paid attention to how she did did the dough, I helped her roll it out as she got to where she couldn't do that any more. I have made it maybe 4 times in the last 15 years she has been gone and it isn't exactly the same as I remembered it, but close enough for me.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2023, 08:18:07 PM »

Somewhere I have the recipe for the dough that my Mom uses that she got from my Dad's PA Dutch mother.
Pages: [1]   Go Up