Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Mar 2018
  • I had 2 pork shoulders that weighed in at a combined 21#.  I trimmed the top layer of fat off of them to try something new and to have the fat for future homemade sausage needs.  I trimmed 2# 2oz of fat from the top of them.

Trimmed of fat cap

Used a few store bought Cuban rubs (Iron Chef and McCormick) I had in the pantry with some Cinnamon Chipotle rub

Onto the Elite set at 275° with Camp Chef cherry pellets
  • #2 by rwalters on 16 Mar 2018
  • Here we go... another Memphis cook in progress :)
  • #3 by Canadian John on 16 Mar 2018
  •  Nice to NOT see snow in the background... The shoulders appear to be off to a good start.
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Mar 2018
  • Yes, almost all of the snow melted while I was out of town.
  • #5 by ZCZ on 16 Mar 2018
  • Thanks for posting Lew.  I got this one on "notify."

Z
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Mar 2018
  • 2 hour mark....one at 95° and the other at 105°...getting some nice cherry color

Once they hit about 160° they are getting a beer bath in a pan for 3-4 hours at 350°

• #7 by Bentley on 16 Mar 2018
  • I see that you have gone with the Grape Nuts rub, how do you like that?  I guess I am old, do they even make Grape Nuts anymore...
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Mar 2018
  • I see that you have gone with the Grape Nuts rub, how do you like that?  I guess I am old, do they even make Grape Nuts anymore...

It is a lot of course salt that was in the Cuban rub and probably some dry onions.
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Mar 2018
  • After 4 hours, the bigger shoulder was at 145° and the smaller one at 155°.  I am running out of time so I pulled them off, gave them a bath, and put them in the 350° oven to finish in about 4 hours so they are ready to pull apart.  I may flip them over after 2 hours since they are not covered by the beer like the thinner chuck roasts were.

bigger shoulder

smaller shoulder

resting in the pan

pork shoulder bath water

pork shoulders bathing
  • #10 by Bentley on 16 Mar 2018
  • Certainly one way to concentrate flavors and keep the meat moist!  Do you allow the beer to reduce as you cook?
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Mar 2018
  • Certainly one way to concentrate flavors and keep the meat moist!

I figured it works for pulled beef so why not try for pork shoulder.  Nothing like experimenting when I have 60 people to serve. ;D
  • #12 by BigDave83 on 16 Mar 2018
  • those will feed 60? You must have a lot of other things to eat.

They do look great.
  • #13 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Mar 2018
  • those will feed 60? You must have a lot of other things to eat.

They do look great.

find the st patricks day menu thread
  • #14 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Mar 2018
  • Been about 2 hours in the bath.  Looking good so far but not quite falling apart done yet.  Maybe another hour.

• #15 by Bentley on 16 Mar 2018
  • It a shame you don't get a smoke ring or any color with the Elite!

Frigen figures it would go on the 2nd page!
Pages:
Actions