Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by smokindad on 18 Dec 2018
  • Usually I get boneless country style ribs from Costco and cut them into chunks.

From there I marinade in a copy cat recipe of Johnny D's Hog Wash... which seems to have been discontinued.  (if anyone knows if it is still available I would be grateful if you would let me know.) Marinade for about 24 hours.  I tend to smoke at a higher temp so they brown up nicely (275-325°F) ~ 1hr depending on size.  Sauce, let set and enjoy.

Marinade:  (hog wash)
        1 cup white distilled vinegar
        1/4 cup ketchup
        1/4 cup apple juice
        3 tablespoons Light brown sugar
        1 tablespoon kosher salt
        1 teaspoon hot sauce (tapatio)
        1 teaspoon ground pepper
        1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

• #2 by pmillen on 18 Dec 2018
  • This might make it to a point near the top of Marcia's BBQ list.  We'll be trying it soon.
  • #3 by pmillen on 23 Dec 2018
  • Okay, the chunks have been marinating since yesterday.  How do I know when they're done cooking?  Do you have a feel for the proper internal temperature?

(Yeah, I know, it's a rookie question.)
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Dec 2018
  • Okay, the chunks have been marinating since yesterday.  How do I know when they're done cooking?  Do you have a feel for the proper internal temperature?

(Yeah, I know, it's a rookie question.)

I cook them to a temp similar to brisket.  When they have that same tenderness, they are done.
  • #5 by pmillen on 23 Dec 2018
  • Oh, okay.  Send me a chunk of that brisket so I can use it as a standard.   :)

I'm thinking 140° like I use for most pork.  Is that about right?
  • #6 by Bentley on 23 Dec 2018
  • Add some hoisin sauce and a little rice wine and you almost have char siu...
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Dec 2018
  • Oh, okay.  Send me a chunk of that brisket so I can use it as a standard.   :)

I'm thinking 140° like I use for most pork.  Is that about right?

country style ribs are a pork shoulder run through a band saw so i cook them to over 200
  • #8 by reubenray on 23 Dec 2018
  •  Where are the pictures?
  • #9 by smokindad on 27 Dec 2018
  • Actually, I usually cook them to ~150°F-160°F, kinda like a thick pork chop. 
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 Dec 2018
  • I had a bunch in the freezer that I had thawed.  I threw them in a pan with some rub yesterday and put on the top shelf of the MAK at 275° for about 4 hours.  I poured the juice off and put the burnt ends in the fridge in a pan last night.  Not sure how I am going to finish them up.  I may vac seal them into quart bags and freeze.  I can then pull them out, thaw, throw in some sauce and finish on the grill when I want them.  I plan to cook them until they are fall apart tender.

• #11 by pmillen on 29 Dec 2018
  • I made these a few days ago.  They were quite good.  They will be better the next time when I take the internal temperature higher, maybe 205°F as Lew suggested.

Marinating

Out of the pit and ready for sauce

Consolidated with 2 different sauces

Sauce is set
  • #12 by smokindad on 30 Dec 2018
  • Hmm, those look good.  The chunks are a little smaller and more uniform than what I have prepared in the past.  Making for a more uniform cook.  I like that.  When placed on the smoker did you use the aluminum pan or directly on the grate?  I will need to try this technique and cook to a higher temp. 

Thanks.
  • #13 by pmillen on 31 Dec 2019
  • They were golf ball sized chunks cooked on Frogmats on the pit grate.  I put them in the pans as I took them from the pit.  Then I decided to pack them into the pans a little tighter.
  • #14 by reubenray on 31 Dec 2019
  • I will have to try this.  I love country style ribs.
Pages:
Actions