Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 11 Jan 2021
  •  The following GUIDE should help anyone seeking a cook time for pork ribs.   These data were compiled by a person on a another form. It may prove helpful if for whatever reason if a cook temperature and time

is sought.

St. Louis

225  5 to 6 hours

225 5 hours no foil

225º Allow 5 to 7 hours

250-275 for about 4-4.5 hours

275 3/2 (Franklin)

325 2 hours and 15 minutes

350 - 375 for 120 minutes

Baby backs

225 3 to 4 hours

250 for 5-5:30 hour range

250-275 for about 4 hrs, no foil

225º Allow 4 to 5 hours

250 for 5-530 hour

250-275 for about 4 hrs

275 indirect for 3 hrs. Do not open or flip

275 3 hrs (sauce the last 20 mins) . No foil needed and they will be perfect.

275 4.5 hrs and never foil. Perfect rib's everytime.

275  More like 3/.5/.5 (up to one) in an egg.

275 for 3 hrs.

275 for 3 hrs 

275 for 4.5 hrs

350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. I like a little bite. Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip).

350 for 1hr 40 min

350 - 375 for 100 minutes

As a GUIDE, there are variables that must be considered such as: personal evaluation of the cooked ribs, rib weight, opening the pit during the cook, actual grate temperature...

• #2 by Bentley on 11 Jan 2021
  • I am not trying to be a downer, and it is a good guide for someone who needs help, which I appreciate.  But these number do not correspond to how I would cook ribs.
  • #3 by pmillen on 11 Jan 2021
  • I'm probably not understanding some entries, but there seems to be some contradictions (i.e., Baby Backs @ 275°).
  • #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Jan 2021
  • I'm probably not understanding some entries, but there seems to be some contradictions (i.e., Baby Backs @ 275°).

Same here.  It seems more confusing than useful to me.
  • #5 by hughver on 11 Jan 2021
  • The chart is much appreciated but the data is confusing and IMO, not exactly accurate.  ???
  • #6 by Canadian John on 11 Jan 2021

•  I respect all the comments.  The reason the data may be confusing to some is that all of it came from individuals. There was o blending of numbers or adjustments made. I just thought this could help guide a newcomer or help someone wanting to cook at a different temperature.

IF IT'S THAT BAD I'LL DELETE IT.. It will be gone in 24 HRS if I don't hear anything positive by then. Thank you.
  • #7 by pmillen on 11 Jan 2021
  • Oh, John, I always look forward to your posts and have often thought of you as a really nice, helpful, guy.  I didn't mean to dump on you.  I just didn't know which entry to believe might be correct for my situation.  If I don't know which one to "believe" then I really can't "believe" any individual one.

IDK if you should delete it.  Maybe edit the last statement by adding something like people cook their ribs differently based on ...
  • #8 by okie smokie on 11 Jan 2021
  • Don't delete. Big Brother does not live here. We are not Tweeter or Facebook. Differences of opinion should be seen here.  I think a lot of the data depends on what time of year, how accurate the pit control, personal taste, and in particular the size and weight of the rib rack. I always look for 3lb or less because they indicate younger (sometimes) piggies and small round bones, which I prefer (more meat to bone size IMO.)  A 4 lb baby back, or should I say senior back?, will be fatter and take longer to cook. Same with spares. Also, some like em chewy and some mushy, so time variation is expected. And--I may be all wet!
    I will say that your presentation does not help me pick the right time without those other variables, but still is appreciated as always.  :2cents:
  • #9 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Jan 2021
  • I wouldn't delete it either, but would suggest clarifying that it is a list of multiple answers provided by people on how they cook.  Trying some of these suggestions until you get the desired level of texture you desire.
  • #10 by reubenray on 11 Jan 2021
  • I like to do my St. Louis ribs at 225 which allows for me to drink more beer while they cook.  One thing that I noticed is the quality of the ribs makes a bid difference.  Of course a thin rack will cook faster than a thick rack.  Mine usually take between 4 and 5 hours.
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 11 Jan 2021
  • I do both at 275 for about 4 hours, no foil. which is about what the chart says.
    Altitude does make a time difference.
    I find the most cooks take at least 10 minutes longer here (~5600ft) than when I was in Texas.

• #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 11 Jan 2021
  • My brother was interviewed by an online radio station several years back as part of advertising for his BBQ business.  The DJ asked him how long it took to cook ribs.  His reply was something along the lines of - my brother taught me that they would be done after 12 beers.  That was my rule of thumb when I was cooking on a 3 tiered Kenmore propane grill and moving ribs around over a pan of apple juice.

After I migrated to pellet grills, it has been 3.0-3.5 hours at 250°-275° for baby backs and about an hour longer for STL style ribs.
  • #13 by urnmor on 11 Jan 2021
  • IMO it should not be deleted.  One should use as a guide.
  • #14 by ylr on 11 Jan 2021
  • This is a useful general guide to those with little or no experience in smoking ribs. I think the numbers above(except for maybe the 350+ temp cooks) will get the cook 90% to where they need to be.
  • #15 by Canadian John on 12 Jan 2021
  •  
     I thank all of you for your kind words.   I will leave this post open....  My thin skin gets the best of me at times.
Pages:
Actions