Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 20 Oct 2018
  •  This isn't my idea. Came across it searching winter BBQ.

Fully baked, unwrapped potatoes were "injected" with melted garlic butter while on the grill. It was stated the garlic butter would work its way

throughout the spud.. That's a must try for me.. Has anyone done this?
  • #2 by triplebq on 20 Oct 2018
  • I haven't done it YET! Oh I have to try this.
  • #3 by pmillen on 20 Oct 2018
  • I haven't done it YET! Oh I have to try this.

+1  (I'm giggling I'm so looking forward to it.)
  • #4 by Bentley on 20 Oct 2018
  • How would anything permeate and disperse in something as dense as a raw potato?

I see now, fully baked is another story!  I would think it would take many different injection sites!
  • #5 by mo-kid on 20 Oct 2018
  • please try this!!! Let us know if it works... I can see doing this on small red potatoes?
  • #6 by Goosehunter51 on 25 Oct 2018
  • Cool beans
  • #7 by hughver on 26 Oct 2018
  • Come on guys(and Gals), someone try this and report results.
  • #8 by Canadian John on 06 Nov 2018
  •  I did it: Two baked potatoes, cooked  unwrapped over direct heat in my kamado until done. That is, an easy give when squeezed with tongs and  >205º. Mixed 1t of granulated garlic in 1 FL OZ of butter and

poured it into my injector. Next, injected the potatoes. The mixture leaked out of the thermometer probe  and injector holes- the same thing that happened to Kristin + Bentley. The taste was definitely faint

but noticeable. A more heavy butter/garlic taste would be made by cutting the potato open and adding butter and garlic..The next time I won't temp probe and will carefully insert the needle by using one

hole at the top to carefully distribute the mixture...The leaked mixture smoked a lot when it hit the coals and didn't generate any off taste to the pork-chops that were cooked later at a much higher

temperature.
  • #9 by RoadRunner18 on 18 Dec 2020
  • This sounds like a recipe I must try!  Thanks for Sharing :bbq:
  • #10 by 02ebz06 on 18 Dec 2020
  • Guess I don't see how that would be any better (definitely not easier) than just cutting potato open and putting butter on it when you are ready to eat it.
  • #11 by okie smokie on 18 Dec 2020
  • How about a well done potato, then carefully mash (from all sides)without breaking the skin, if possible,. then injecting?  Bet you could get it done that way.
    Not sure you could not accomplish the same by just cutting in half and then pouring the mixture in as you mash the potato meat. Maybe we have been locked in too long!  :2cents:+ :2cents:=4cents.(or in Orwell's world =5cents)
  • #12 by Bentley on 18 Dec 2020
  • Seeing this pop up again, I was thinking of posting the exact same thing.  My one uncle used to kind of roll and smash his potato before cutting it open and putting fixings in it.  I would think the injection would work very well on that.
  • #13 by okie smokie on 18 Dec 2020
  • To me just as easy to open, mash and add the ingredients. Loading syringes and injecting requires additional skills, I think you have to be a pharmacist now. Gee, I remember when only MD's wore stethoscopes and gave shots. Times have changed.
    PS, cleaning stethoscopes and needles is time consuming as well. Merry Christmas to all! :bbq:
  • #14 by GatorDave on 21 Dec 2020
  • To me just as easy to open, mash and add the ingredients. Loading syringes and injecting requires additional skills, I think you have to be a pharmacist now. Gee, I remember when only MD's wore stethoscopes and gave shots. Times have changed.
    PS, cleaning stethoscopes and needles is time consuming as well. Merry Christmas to all! :bbq:

At least everyone has masks now to go with their stethoscope and injectors...lol
Pages:
Actions