Pages:
Actions
  • #196 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Jul 2021
  • So do you cut it in half or just use the hunch method?

hunch
  • #197 by okie smokie on 22 Jul 2021
  • I would go for that instead of wings any day.  Will look into that locally.
  • #198 by 02ebz06 on 27 Jul 2021
  • Threw a couple burgers (made from ground brisket) on the grill today.
    With Swiss/white cheddar cheese, onion, tomato, green chili, a couple pickle slices, and some cat soup.
    With a side of Loaded Potato Salad.

Lousy picture. Camera always seems to shadow part of picture.
  • #199 by Bentley on 28 Jul 2021
  • It almost looks as if it is...how should I put this, a Runza, or a Cheeseburger Calzone or a Bierock...
  • #200 by 02ebz06 on 28 Jul 2021
  • Nah, just store bought buns from the bakery area.
    I think it looks that way, because the bun wasn't cut all the way through, and the top and bottom are attached on left and right.
  • #201 by 02ebz06 on 29 Jul 2021

• Will be giving smash burgers a try a week from Saturday.

Watched a Youtube video and looks pretty straight forward smashing them.

Just wondering if there is there anything special or unique about how you smash them?

• #202 by dk117 on 29 Jul 2021
  • I did Kirkland Signature 100% Grass-Fed WAGYU Beef patties (Costco) on Monday.  I'll be doing this again.   Right on the gasser, with seasoning (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder).   Fastest and easiest way to a decent burger.   beef quality was exceptional. 

DK

Pictures next time, didn't think worth documenting but forgot about this thread. 
  • #203 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jul 2021

Just wondering if there is there anything special or unique about how you smash them?

I've read some recommendations to hold the press on the patty for 10 seconds after smashing it.  I get great flavor out of the smash burger but not the crust on my porcelain coated griddle.  I have not tried on the stainless steel yet.
  • #204 by BigDave83 on 29 Jul 2021

I've read some recommendations to hold the press on the patty for 10 seconds after smashing it.  I get great flavor out of the smash burger but not the crust on my porcelain coated griddle.  I have not tried on the stainless steel yet.

Do you put any oil, or butter down first? even with the coated griddle I would think it would get hot enough to make a crust.
  • #205 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jul 2021
  • Yes,I have put down oil first.  Maybe I don't have it hot enough too.
  • #206 by Bentley on 30 Jul 2021
  • I guess it just depends on how thin you want them.  I have come to believe the smash and pull is the way to go. It is the reason i like the thing I bought with the handle on top, you can push down and pull towards you.  I have come to believe that if I do not have the grilled onions on them at the flip, like that S. Korean video, that I dont like a smash burger!

• #207 by Free Mr. Tony on 30 Jul 2021

I heat the griddle to 500, take a 4 oz ball of 80/20 and add only salt around the ball. Put the ball straight onto the griddle. Put a piece of parchment over top and smash with a grill weight to about 3/16 inch. Carefully peel the parchment off. The burger should not come up off the griddle at all.

Wait one minute and flip. Top with cheese and wait about 30 seconds. It's done.

The trick is really in the flip in my mind. You have to take a good scraper.  Put alot of weight on the scraper against the griddle surface. Make a quick and confident swipe to get under the burger in one shot. That's how the crust stays intact.

• #208 by 02ebz06 on 30 Jul 2021

• I heat the griddle to 500, take a 4 oz ball of 80/20 and add only salt around the ball. Put the ball straight onto the griddle. Put a piece of parchment over top and smash with a grill weight to about 3/16 inch. Carefully peel the parchment off. The burger should not come up off the griddle at all.

Wait one minute and flip. Top with cheese and wait about 30 seconds. It's done.

The trick is really in the flip in my mind. You have to take a good scraper.  Put alot of weight on the scraper against the griddle surface. Make a quick and confident swipe to get under the burger in one shot. That's how the crust stays intact.

Thanks

Looking forward to it.
    Found another option, think I'll be doing half Smashed and the other half Oklahoma Onion Burgers.
  • #209 by W6YJ on 30 Jul 2021
  • I did Kirkland Signature 100% Grass-Fed WAGYU Beef patties (Costco) on Monday.  I'll be doing this again.   Right on the gasser, with seasoning (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder).   Fastest and easiest way to a decent burger.   beef quality was exceptional. 

DK

Pictures next time, didn't think worth documenting but forgot about this thread.

DK,

Out of curiosity, how pricey were the WAGYU patties?

I looked on the Costco site and didn't see them, nor have I noticed them at our local Costco (Vista, CA).

And after seeing the pricing at Costco's web site ($25/lb for hamburger and $150/lb for New York steaks), I am not sure I can justify the costs.
  • #210 by dk117 on 30 Jul 2021
  • I'm going to spitball a response and then get back to you next time I visit Costco.  They have frozen chuck, sirloin and then waygu.  1/3 pound and you have to watch for number of patties, but I don't think waygu was over $25 for 10 patties.
Pages:
Actions