Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Trooper on 30 Oct 2020
  • Just after bein pulled, I mix just a small amount to the pork meat to moisten it a little more. I then like to have a sauce available for guests to further sauce as they prefer.

I prefer my own homemade concoction for my sauce.

If I need to use the store bought variety, I prefer BULL'S-EYE Original. A Kraft product.
  • #17 by okie smokie on 30 Oct 2020
  • Great responses from all. Thanks for your input.  Very interested in catching the drippings and separating out the fat. Then use the drippings as a moisturizer before serving. Then just offer a sauce of choice on the table.  I do the same for ribs and it is excellent.  (full of meat juice, rub seasonings, brown sugar, butter, honey, and Tiger sauce). One advantage of foil wrapping is that the juices can be collected easily.  So I wrap pork butt as well. (at the stall). Also, I think that the pulled pork stores better in fridge and freezer with the juices added.
    (note: for ribs, I just poor the drippings over the rack after slicing them, and save some to put in the ziplock for those left. Later the leftover ribs and drippings go into a foil pouch for reheating. Keeps them from drying out.)
  • #18 by hughver on 30 Oct 2020
  • Very interested in catching the drippings and separating out the fat.

After the stall, I put the butt in a foil pan with 4-6 ounces of liquid, pork broth/apple juice/Dr. Pepper/etc., cover tightly with foil and complete cooking. When meat is done (in pit or oven), I pour off all of the liquid (there will be 3-4 cups) into a suitable glass/metal container, FTC the meat and place the liquid in the freezer. After an hour or so, I pull the pork, remove fat from liquid, rewarm liquid in microwave and add enough back to the pork to achieve optimum moisture.
  • #19 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Oct 2020
  • After the stall, I put the butt in a foil pan with 2-3 beers, cover tightly with foil and complete cooking.  When it is done, I pull the pan off the grill, move to my work table in the garage, pull the pork immediately and mix in with the liquid.  Remove chunks of fat, connective tissues and excess juice and serve.  I don't have a problem with liquid fat from the drippings being mixed in with the pulled pork.  Sometimes, I will throw some more rub on the pulled pork before mixing in with the liquid.
  • #20 by hughver on 30 Oct 2020
  • I don't have a problem with liquid fat from the drippings being mixed in with the pulled pork.

I don't mind a little fat, after all fat is flavor, but pork butts are inherently fatty and no matter how hard you try, pulled pork its self contains quite a bit of fat. Some times the liquid that I get out of the pan is a third or more fat. Adding a cup of fat, IMO, not good.
  • #21 by okie smokie on 30 Oct 2020
  • I don't have a problem with liquid fat from the drippings being mixed in with the pulled pork.

I don't mind a little fat, after all fat is flavor, but pork butts are inherently fatty and no matter how hard you try, pulled pork its self contains quite a bit of fat. Some times the liquid that I get out of the pan is a third or more fat. Adding a cup of fat, IMO, not good.
    I'm with you on that.  Fat is good but not too much of it. I will probably use the foil pan rather than double wrap to catch the liquid.  All is good.
  • #22 by Bar-B-Lew on 30 Oct 2020

Some will say the 3 bottles of beer in the pan are not good for me either. ;)

Only time will tell before my motto of medicate me for my lifestyle causes me serious problems.  Until then, I am going to enjoy life and good tasting food.
  • #23 by hughver on 30 Oct 2020
  • Amen!
  • #24 by okie smokie on 01 Nov 2020
  • I will usually add some apple juice and some additional BBQ rub to it. I don't serve with sauce. Will have sauce available if people want it though.
    That sounds like a good idea and easy. 
Pages:
Actions