Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Seasoning corroded hole through tin foil.  (Read 1593 times)

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Seasoning corroded hole through tin foil.
« on: February 17, 2019, 06:15:38 PM »

When brisket hit internal temp of 155 I put in foil pan and covered with Reynolds foil. Put in oven for about 4 hours to finish at 205 internal temp. When I was checking meat temp I noticed a spot in foil about 1" in diameter.Had bunch pin holes with 1/4" hole in center and spot felt like it was falling apart. I could see the spot where foil was touching meat and had off color look. The seasoning was Oakridge Black Ops. My thought was the salt and some kind of electrolysis. Any of you every have this happen?

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Seasoning corroded hole through tin foil.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 06:37:57 PM »

Aluminum pan and aluminum foil.  Hmmm.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 06:45:35 PM »

i've seen same thing when i leave food in pan and put in fridge
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 07:56:52 PM »

This is intriguing.  A ¼" hole and pin holes.  Where did that aluminum go?

I'm looking around the Internet and can't find anything.

Edit:  Removed extraneous characters generated by system update.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 02:22:45 PM by pmillen »
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 08:14:55 PM »

I found this.  I don't know if it's sensationalism or even a qualified authority.  http://theconversation.com/why-you-shouldnt-wrap-your-food-in-aluminium-foil-before-cooking-it-57220

A couple of quotes–
  • "Aluminium [sic] is significantly more likely to leach into food, and at higher levels, in acidic and liquid food solutions like lemon and tomato juice than in those containing alcohol or salt. Leaching levels climb even more when spice is added to food that's cooked in aluminium [sic] foil. Anything acidic sparks a particularly aggressive process that dissolves layers of aluminium [sic] into food.

"This research suggests that aluminium [sic] foil should not be used for cooking."
  • "Scientists are exploring whether over-exposure to aluminium [sic] may be posing threats to human health. For instance, high concentrations of aluminium [sic] have been detected in the brain tissue of patients with Alzheimer's disease."

Edit:  Removed extraneous characters generated by system update.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 02:39:54 PM by pmillen »
Paul

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 08:29:37 PM »

I also believe it is he salts  and the steam that are in direct contact with the the foil. I cover my butts with foil after I put them in my meat lug and  get small holes n the foil. Never had an issue when wrapping cold meats with rub, only hot.

dclord

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 01:14:01 AM »

I've seen that kind of thing with pizza and tomato based food wrapped and left in the fridge over night, but not with anything else.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

BC Buck

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 06:43:43 AM »

This is intriguing.  A ¼” hole and pin holes.  Where did that aluminum go?

I'm looking around the Internet and can't find anything.
The spot where the foil was touching meat had a aluminum tint to it.

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 08:52:31 AM »

I haven't foiled during a cook in a long time.  The only time I will wrap with foil will be if I am going to wait a few hours before serving. I will foil, wrap with a towel and put it into a cooler. The only thing I have noticed when I unwrap is the discoloration of the foil.

ZCZ

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 12:40:42 PM »

I found this.  I don’t know if it's sensationalism or even a qualified authority.  http://theconversation.com/why-you-shouldnt-wrap-your-food-in-aluminium-foil-before-cooking-it-57220

A couple of quotes–
  • “Aluminium [sic] is significantly more likely to leach into food, and at higher levels, in acidic and liquid food solutions like lemon and tomato juice than in those containing alcohol or salt. Leaching levels climb even more when spice is added to food that’s cooked in aluminium [sic] foil. Anything acidic sparks a particularly aggressive process that dissolves layers of aluminium [sic] into food.

“This research suggests that aluminium [sic] foil should not be used for cooking.”
  • “Scientists are exploring whether over-exposure to aluminium [sic] may be posing threats to human health. For instance, high concentrations of aluminium [sic] have been detected in the brain tissue of patients with Alzheimer’s disease.”

Why I am thinking of switching to parchment paper instead of foil when I do ribs.
Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 01:13:24 PM »

Why I am thinking of switching to parchment paper instead of foil when I do ribs.

I am, too, as of yesterday.
Paul

yorkdude

• Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 03:47:40 PM »

I have not tried this but I am pretty darn sure you can use plastic wrap as long as it is against the food, covered in aluminum foil and not above 220º-250º.
Not sure how it works but I have seen it done.
The moisture from the food on one side as well as the foil protection on the other somehow spares it.

ZCZ

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2019, 04:39:13 PM »

I am, too, as of yesterday.

i experimented with it when I was practicing for the 2015 Royal.  It actually does a good job of holding in juices.  The problem becomes trying to seal it up.  i was folding it over and stapling the ends shut.  During my prep this summer for the Royal I will give it a try and post results with pictures.  It is more difficult to work with than tin foil - but just like they say you should not cook food on your stove in aluminum pans I would think the same should hold true of tin foil.  Especially after reading what we read here.

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2019, 09:08:28 PM »

...but just like they say you should not cook food on your stove in aluminum pans I would think the same should hold true of tin foil.  Especially after reading what we read here.

Z

Another web site addressed aluminum pots and pans.  The article said that they normally build a seasoning-like layer, mostly made up of aluminum oxide and they shouldn't pose a threat to leach aluminum into food.  The article cautioned against scouring them beck to shineyness and exposing raw aluminum.
Paul

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2019, 02:34:57 PM »

I've been reading about alternatives to aluminum foil.  It appears that pink butcher paper may be the best.
Paul

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up