Pages:
Actions
  • #76 by slaga on 29 Jan 2018
  • Was it a three, four or five way?

When we go to fix our plates I had to inquire what was with the spaghetti noodles. Apparently (some) people in Ohio put their "chili" on spaghetti noddles.

I honestly do not remember, and truth be told, I am not much of a fan of pasta. The thought of chili on spaghetti noodles was unappetizing, and still is, no matter how much cheese you throw on top.
  • #77 by FSUwelder1212 on 29 Jan 2018
  • Was it a three, four or five way?

When we go to fix our plates I had to inquire what was with the spaghetti noodles. Apparently (some) people in Ohio put their "chili" on spaghetti noddles.

Its gotta be five way or no way. I love Cincinnati Chili. I had to take some classes in Ohio over a 5 year period of time. Quite often I would go with friends taking the same classes. They knew at some point in the trip there was going to be a Skyline stop, it wasn't up for debate.

The first time I took my son to Skyline Chili they asked if we had been there before. Told them I had, but he hadn't. The waitress told my son he could eat for free. Probably the wrong thing to tell a young growing boy. He ordered a plate of the five way chili, a chili cheese dog, and chili cheese fries. I couldn't believe the bill. It was under $5. I paid for two pops and my two chili cheese dogs!! They also gave him a bunch of coupons for freebies the next time we visited and a drink cozy. Fans for life!!!

If you want to try the OG Cincinnati chili try camp Washington. I married a Cincinnati girl and she loves skyline but even she will tell you camp Washington is the best, it is meatier. There’s also a raging debate over gold star vs. skyline, my wife is a skyline zealot so I’ve never been able to try gold star... ::)
  • #78 by Bobitis on 29 Jan 2018
  • I've lived in Washington State my whole life and am completely unaware of any iconic dishes. Maybe apple pie . . .?

Same here - 61 years next month.

I picked the cedar planked salmon simply for its advertising value. I've never had it, or geoduck for that matter. I can think of a lot of things I've eaten growing up that are spectacular and regional; but they all fly well below the radar.

The most common and overlooked would be Dungeness crab and the Pacific oyster. The best fish I've ever eaten was river caught steelhead. There is simply no comparison to any other fish I've eaten.

I could go on and on about the PNW food, but you'd have to have lived here for a long time  to get any meaning out of it.

Not sure that's a good thing or not. Maybe it's best that some things are forgotten...
  • #79 by Free Mr. Tony on 29 Jan 2018
  • We just had a skyline open here in Fort Wayne. I've had it before and like it. I just don't eat that sort of food often. I do go through the drive through and get their buffalo chicken or Greek wraps for lunch. I hope it goes over well, but there does not ever seem to be that many people in the lot. Not a good sign, and it's in a very good location.
  • #80 by Bobitis on 29 Jan 2018
  • I've been called a rebel many times in my life, so the next batch of chili is going on some pasta!
  • #81 by smokin soon on 29 Jan 2018
  • I was bored once and tried it with riced cauliflower. It was pretty good!
  • #82 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2018
  • I believe those things would be the not so well know?  Correct?  Would love to hear of a few...

Not so well known iconic state dishes.

I can think of a lot of things I've eaten growing up that are spectacular and regional; but they all fly well below the radar.
Pages:
Actions