Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bar-B-Lew on 29 Jan 2018
  • I am going in right now.  I have a Northern Tool 5lb stuffer, but for this small amount, I am going to see if Kristin will help me and since it is good and cold, sue the Kitchen aid!

Please take a picture of the setup before you start.  Thanks.
  • #17 by Bentley on 29 Jan 2018
  • There is a reason why I bought the stuffer 9 years ago!  It is so I would never have to deal with piping sausage through the KitchenAid again!  Well, that should be enough reminder for another 9 years!

Certainly not the preferred method of cooking sausage for me, but I wanted to taste it.  Certainly not my finest, it is OK.  Lacks a depth of flavor I am having trouble nailing down, but again, I think it just comes back to way to lean.  Also, the Jap taste mellowed a bit over the 24 hours, but still to predominate.  I would use 2 in a 5lb. batch, not 3 in a 2.5lb. batch.  Might have to seed them next time too.  I best some high heat cheddar would go great in these!

Oh well, these can go to AA friends and I will start again!  More fat, only 1 grind and course to boot and much more chili powder and some cumin next time!

• #18 by LowSlowJoe on 30 Jan 2018
  • Hmm... I 'm starting to get interested in making sausage again...
  • #19 by Free Mr. Tony on 30 Jan 2018
  • I was about 10 minutes into trying to stuff my first batch of sausage with my grinder attachment. I put the rest of the meat in the fridge, drove to gander mountain, and bought a stuffer. Worth every penny, and then some.

When I use jalapenos I roast them first, strip off the skin, then chop. It mellows them, and gets most of the moisture out too. If you really like the flavor but don't want to overpower, this may be an option for you.
  • #20 by Bentley on 30 Jan 2018
  • That is not a bad idea, I have always used fresh, just cut the tops off and grind the whole thing.  Maybe a bad batch, like some that say they get batches that are hotter then others.  They were the largest I have ever seen, twice the size I normally buy.  So I would if they have some new variety that appeals to the masses at Martins and is not like my good ole ones I a used to!  It was more of a Green Bell Pepper flavor then Jap!
Pages:
Actions