Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Darwin on 23 Jan 2018
  • TechBargains often has a discount deal on the membership of anyone is looking.
  • #17 by Bar-B-Lew on 23 Jan 2018
  • half the time at sams i end up with a sausage, peppers, and onions sandwich after checking out before i leave the store
  • #18 by DaisyCutter on 24 Jan 2018
  • I can only find choice and select in my Sams club. Usually choice, never seen a prime brisket there yet.  >:(
  • #19 by Trooper on 24 Jan 2018
  • I can only find choice and select in my Sams club. Usually choice, never seen a prime brisket there yet.  >:(

Aye? I have NEVER seen any Select grade of beef meat at Sam's Club. I'm not saying it ain't so. Just would find that very hard to believe.
  • #20 by DaisyCutter on 24 Jan 2018

Aye? I have NEVER seen any Select grade of beef meat at Sam's Club. I'm not saying it ain't so. Just would find that very hard to believe.

My club has full packer selects mixed in with the choice quite often.
  • #21 by LowSlowJoe on 24 Jan 2018
  • I have both Costco and Sam's club memberships...

From where I live, the nearest Costco is 27 miles away... from where  I work, it's one mile away...  I pretty much feel that the discounted prices on gas alone pay for my membership at Costco, so regardless of which of the stores is better, I will keep my Costco membership...

Sam's... There is one about 13 miles from my home.. ( in Jackson ).  Often on weekends and other times, I'm near there, so regardless of which store is better, I want to keep my Sam's club membership... even though my wife wants me to drop it...   

IMHO, Sam's Club is just ever so slightly the lesser of the two membership clubs... 

I don't know that they ever carry any PRIME meat, where Costco does.  Now, I rarely buy PRIME meat because I don't see the value in it for me personally, at least not very often.  The exception being Costco's PRIME brisket... and the main reason I buy that , is it's not really expensive... My Sam's rarely has any kind of Brisket for under $5/lb, and Costco sells the PRIME for $3.29/lb right now.  Sam's has reasonably good meat , at reasonably good prices, but Costco has slightly better meat ( non prime ) at the same prices as Sam's.  Sam's does sometimes mark down meat as it hits the sell by date, when I'm there , I always look for good deals of this sort, my Costco never seems to have any meat that hit's the expiration date, so never any deals of this sort...

For some odd reason, there are certain things that Costco just doens't sell, but Sam's does sell , bulk bags of pepperoni for example... Price of pepperoni has gone up recently it seems, and I use enough of it that I do buy it in bulk, then vacuum seal it up in smaller bags, I feel better about my pepperoni purchase price doing this.    I'm not 100% sure on this, but I don't think Costco sells uncooked bacon either... Not that I buy much bacon these days , since I make my own ( using pork belly from Costco )...   On the other hand, my Sam's rarely has pork belly for sale, and when it does, it's like 50% higher priced than Costco...   

The main issue with these stores, and what probably should be your deciding factor, is are you really going to buy in bulk... and where will you store the 'bulk' that your not using at the moment?  Most of the really good values are related to bulk purchases...  Like even toilet papper... you have to buy like 50 rolls at a time. ( I've heard that toilet paper is one of Costco's biggest sellers, I assume Sam's is the same ).     Yes, there are good deals to be found on single items of things, but how many times do you need a slow cooker that's $5 cheaper then what you can get at Target?

So, my advice would be go to Sam's , I think they very likely will give you a guest pass for a day. ( not sure if you'll actually be able to buy using it though )...  Look around, see what you see, figure out if it's worth your time...   And/or just buy a year membership...  Not 100% sure, but it may be the case that you can return your membership if you don't like it ( I know Costco will let you cancel your membership for full refund )...   But anyway, if you like what you see on your day trip, get the membership ... at worst it's a $50 gamble... If you find you don't use it much thorough the year, just don't renew next year...
  • #22 by slaga on 24 Jan 2018
  • I am not talking about logistics or anything like that. It has nothing to with one being closer than the other or more convenient. If there were a Target on one side of the street and a Walmart on the opposite side, and one could pull into either location as easily as the other, I have found with the people that I know personally, there is a pretty good correlation between those that prefer Walmart over Target, generally prefer Sams. The opposite seems to hold true for the most part too. Those that prefer to shop at a Target over Walmart, seem to prefer Costco.

• #23 by ylr on 24 Jan 2018
  • We use our Sam's membership for whatnot and stuff; it's on the other side of town, so we usually don't get gas there unless we're near in the first place. We have the $100 membership, which gets us Instant Savings several times a year, plus 2% credit back ($10 per $500 spent) at the end of the year. Between the two, it pays for itself.

As for meat, not much selection; an occasional Choice flat, no Prime anything, but you can buy all the ribs, butt, ground beef, and chicken you want.
  • #24 by reubenray on 24 Jan 2018
  • I have both Costco and Sam's Club membership.  The Sam's Club location is easier to get to and we use it the most.  Unless we are buying meat then we use Costco.  Costco's meat selection IMHO is better than Sam's. 

I originally joined Costco for the 2% money back on the membership being I bought a pair of hearing aids from them.
  • #25 by Bentley on 24 Jan 2018
  • I wish Costco had these...Or better yet, the ones with the yellow color bag you brought last May to Liberty, IN...

• #26 by lamrith on 24 Jan 2018
  • I have both Costco and Sam's club memberships...

From where I live, the nearest Costco is 27 miles away... from where  I work, it's one mile away...  I pretty much feel that the discounted prices on gas alone pay for my membership at Costco, so regardless of which of the stores is better, I will keep my Costco membership...
    I do not have one quite that close to work, but I have one right between home and work.  That Costco gas is a super deal and the savings on fuel alone over the course of a year more than pays for my membership.
  • #27 by Ross77 on 24 Jan 2018
  • Costco has similar sirloin beef patties.
  • #28 by Bentley on 24 Jan 2018
  • Not yesterday in Fredericksburg they didn't!
  • #29 by Trooper on 24 Jan 2018
  • So as a matter of distance, I'm a member at Sam's Club-18 miles.
    And I have visited Costco (the more distant)-38 miles about a half dozen times.
    Other than being able to by prime beef, I feel that it's a coin toss between the two.

Neither store sells and junk brands. Everything in the stores is MAJOR Brand.
    I'm sure that both stores spend mega effort in the selection for the repackaged brands (Kirkland Signature and Members Mark)

I suppose there is an occasional time where I'd like to plop a prime cut porterhouse on a grill.
    But around here, that would be just for me. The USDA Choice Angus that I can buy 2 miles away,  is more than sufficient for the little lady.
  • #30 by Rydes84 on 25 Jan 2018
  • We have had a Sams membership for about 8 years and have noticed a lot of differences store to store. We recently moved from NE Iowa to Central Iowa and the club closest to us now is about as full service as I have seen. Prime grade meat, dino bones, and ever cut of meat imagined available huge difference from the previous one we shopped at.  We have always had good luck with the members mark private label items. I particularly like their grill covers, heavy duty and resist sun damage rather well.
Pages:
Actions