Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Not so well known iconic state dishes.  (Read 5519 times)

mowin

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Not so well known iconic state dishes.
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2018, 10:05:19 PM »

Really can't think of any "famous " let alone not so famous dishes in NY.  The Buffalo wings, are primarily the western part of NY. 

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2018, 10:18:00 PM »

This one may be not so well known outside of PA Dutch area of the state.  Certainly not as popular as the cheesesteak or pretzels or Hershey's chocolate.

gatherforbread.com/chicken-pot-pie-pennsylvania-dutch-style/

My Mom makes it similar to this.  I wish my wife would learn how to make it.  Love this dish on a cold day.

Both chicken pot pie and Chicken and noodles are staples in our house during the winter. Those look great.

There were some interesting items on your previous link as well. I watched a video on the olde forge pizza recently. Never heard of it prior to that. Id like to try it. I make wedding soup often,  but it doesn't have chicken in it.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:52:28 PM by Bentley »

riverrat49

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • "If all else Fails call it Burnt Endz" Spokane, WA
    • G-Pa D's BBQ Team
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2018, 06:37:49 AM »

Geoduck or Panopea generosa only the best from Washington State  :rotf:
World Food Championship Culinary Team- 2016, 2017, 2018 Taste of America Challenge Champion- 2016/2018 World Food Championship Judge Competition Pitmaster/ Certified BBQ Judge

FSUwelder1212

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2018, 11:25:37 AM »

I lived in Ohio for 6 years and I can’t believe no ohioans have mentioned goetta. It is the most vile thing I have ever put in my mouth and is primarily found in the Cincinnati and surrounding southern Ohio area.

Other than the brief stint in Ohio and a year in Colorado, I’ve lived in Michigan my whole life. I can’t think of anything too unique here maybe pasty’s? One thing that isn’t specific to Michigan but seems to be unique to the Great Lakes region is blue moon ice cream, my favorite flavor.

Also anyone ever had sugar creme pie? I’ve been told that’s an Indiana thing and is the only place I’ve ever seeen it.

I wonder if most of us have trouble coming up with unique regional foods because to us it is the norm.

slaga

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2018, 11:43:30 AM »

This thread reminds me of a neighbor that I had that was from Ohio. He raved about his "chili". So they invited my wife and I over for chili one night. When we go to fix our plates I had to inquire what was with the spaghetti noodles. Apparently (some) people in Ohio put their "chili" on spaghetti noddles. I had never heard of chili on noodles.
HTTR 2018 Pitboss Copperhead 5 2011 Yoder YS640 w/ Savannah Stoker Controller V4 2010 BBQ07E w/ Savannah Stoker V1 - SOLD

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2018, 12:48:47 PM »

Geoduck or Panopea generosa only the best from Washington State  :rotf:

Those geoduck things are insane looking. Not sure I could eat it.

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2018, 12:51:43 PM »

Also anyone ever had sugar creme pie? I’ve been told that’s an Indiana thing and is the only place I’ve ever seeen it.

I wonder if most of us have trouble coming up with unique regional foods because to us it is the norm.

May be onto something. I'm from Indiana and like sugar cream pie. Did not know it was just around here.

Goosehunter51

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2018, 01:10:02 PM »

California needs representation, not sure if it fits the “Not so well Known” criteria, but Santa Maria Style BBQ Tri-Tip is definitely iconic.
Smokin like a two stack MAK come on!  MAK 2 Star General #3053

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2018, 01:19:10 PM »

What is Sugar Cream Pie?  Also, Chess Pie -- any states with that?  And Shoe Fly Pie?

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2018, 01:28:36 PM »

What is Sugar Cream Pie?  Also, Chess Pie -- any states with that?  And Shoe Fly Pie?

Shoe Fly Pie is PA especially in PA Dutch areas in southeast part of the state
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2018, 02:01:09 PM »

Sugar cream typically looks like this

I've never made it. My mother in law makes it every thanksgiving, and it is a pretty common find at breakfast diners or other similar local restaurants.

It's kind of just a sweetened cream pie. Custard like consistency, but most of the recipes I've glanced at do not contain eggs. Most seem to use cornstarch as the thickener.

I would guess it would be fairly bland to many, but it's a nice subtle sweet dessert.

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2018, 02:28:17 PM »

Chess Pie  is the pie I always make for Thanksgiving, it is like pecan pie with the addition of raisins.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2018, 03:54:41 PM »

Was it a three, four or five way?

When we go to fix our plates I had to inquire what was with the spaghetti noodles. Apparently (some) people in Ohio put their "chili" on spaghetti noddles.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:04:06 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

jdmessner

• Evart, MI
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2018, 04:17:04 PM »

Was it a three, four or five way?

When we go to fix our plates I had to inquire what was with the spaghetti noodles. Apparently (some) people in Ohio put their "chili" on spaghetti noddles.

Its gotta be five way or no way. I love Cincinnati Chili. I had to take some classes in Ohio over a 5 year period of time. Quite often I would go with friends taking the same classes. They knew at some point in the trip there was going to be a Skyline stop, it wasn't up for debate.

The first time I took my son to Skyline Chili they asked if we had been there before. Told them I had, but he hadn't. The waitress told my son he could eat for free. Probably the wrong thing to tell a young growing boy. He ordered a plate of the five way chili, a chili cheese dog, and chili cheese fries. I couldn't believe the bill. It was under $5. I paid for two pops and my two chili cheese dogs!! They also gave him a bunch of coupons for freebies the next time we visited and a drink cozy. Fans for life!!!
"If it is not food ~ It's FUN!" - Happy Kyne proprietor of the Bun and Run, Fernwood Ohio

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2018, 04:21:30 PM »

Yeah, I am in that 5 way line...If I ever get there!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up