Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 45   Go Down

Author Topic: List of Sandwiches - The Sandwich Pic Thread?  (Read 74144 times)

Ralphie

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: List of Sandwiches - The Sandwich Pic Thread?
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 11:20:13 AM »

Original Philly Wow-4 beef from Restaurant Depot.
Amoroso roll also from RD.

I loved it and the ingredients met my expectation. However, I can improve with the cooking by serving it before too much moisture escapes.

On the homemade cheesesteak scale I’d give it a 7 out of 10 with max potential for 9/10. Straight ribeye would be the key for 10/10 for my tastes.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 01:25:31 PM by Ralphie »
Rec Tec Stampede RT-590  40 going on 13

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 04:29:33 PM »

Well, a $400 day at RD.  Got a 12lb Rib Roast off their Aging Rack for 50% off, so that was a nice score for $2.98/lb.  Got some Chuck for $2.97/lb.  The chuck and rib roast along with some trimmed beef fat is going to make about 35lbs of some wonderful ground beef.  Found the Philly type sliced beef, I am not sure it is the Wow stuff like Ralphie got?  I did go with the 3 oz portion cuz I will end up chopping it with spatula as I cook it, so I thought that might be easier.   Could not find the Amoroso's rolls (after calling and being told they had them) but I did use one of these others for lunch with some Sobrasada we got, both were delicious!  Not sure how well they will hold up after a week in the freeze, but one of the best sandwich rolls I have had in awhile when fresh.  I think they will be even better for and Italian beef then a Cheese steak.  A few odds and ends, provolone for the cheese steak, some butter and some other cheeses!  Funny, could not find a case of thick cut bacon, so got the next best thing and will cut my own.  Not thrilled with the rind, but it is not to bad!

Will be either Italian or Philly for dinner tomorrow, have not figured out which yet!

"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 04:58:02 PM »

Looking forward to pics of your sandwiches.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 06:52:18 PM »

My freezers are always filled with many types of frozen bread. I can't think of one that doesn't work well. Obviously, the sturdy types seem to hold up better. I buy those Turano rolls a case at a time. They are kept in the freezer for a month or 2 with no issues.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 10:41:28 PM »

Well I figure in for a penny, in for a pound.  You aint buying Giardiniera off the shelf in Mayberry...So went to Food Lion and got the cauliflower, onion, carrot, olives, celery, and bell peppers for the jar-din-AIR-ah.  Only way I am ever going to learn to say it.  It is a 3 day process, so looks like no Italian Beef till the weekend.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 10:52:40 PM »

You need to make a drive up here and go grocery shopping one weekend...I've seen giardinera in our stores here.  And, you could get good rolls.  And, and Italian sub https://www.primohoagies.com/primo-menu.php
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Free Mr. Tony

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Fort Wayne, Indiana
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 05:48:23 AM »

You need to make a drive up here and go grocery shopping one weekend...I've seen giardinera in our stores here.  And, you could get good rolls.  And, and Italian sub https://www.primohoagies.com/primo-menu.php

From the pictures aside from the seeded bread, those look similar to Jersey Mike's. Taste anything like them? Jersey Mike's is far and away my favorite chain sub shop.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 07:51:12 AM »

From the pictures aside from the seeded bread, those look similar to Jersey Mike's. Taste anything like them? Jersey Mike's is far and away my favorite chain sub shop.

More meat than on Jersey Mike's sandwich.  A JM just opened within about 15 minutes of me.  I am actually quite surprised that they have come into this area with all of the local pizza shops that exist.  I used to eat at JM a few times a month when I lived in IL because I agree with you that they were the best chain sub shop around there.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 01:00:18 PM »

I have not had a lot of chain sandwich shop sandwiches.  Subway, Jersey Mikes, Jimmy John's, Quiznos...I think that is about it, maybe Arby's.  Jersey Mikes bread is light years ahead of any of those.  i would pay for their recipe!

Ralphie

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 04:02:48 PM »

That’s a great haul from RD!  I’d love to know what you think of the bacon.  That Leidy’s brand has a kielbasa that I’ve purchased from RD and it was fantastic.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 04:09:45 PM »

It's a tasty bacon.  Kristin spoke up about the rind but I was not paying enough attention.  That is the only thing I do not like about it.  But i may just shave it off in the slicer!

The giardiniera is in the 1st phase now.  The brine.  Will go into a small amount of white vinegar and EVOO tomorrow for 2 days.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2020, 04:18:40 PM »

That’s a great haul from RD!  I’d love to know what you think of the bacon.  That Leidy’s brand has a kielbasa that I’ve purchased from RD and it was fantastic.

Leidy's is another PA brand.  Must be a transplant that runs that RD store near you. ;D

Ralphie

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2020, 04:26:50 PM »

Probably is a transplant. The store is technically in Cary, NC after all. Affectionately known around here as the Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.
But I hope he’s a transplant. As you already know, my familial roots, and therefore most of my culinary tastes are from the greater Philly area. Mainly West Chester up through Easton.
I guess Mom’s and Grandma’s cooking set the tone for the rest of your life.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2020, 07:31:02 PM »

For taste, I say this with NO reservation, I will put this up against Pat's, Geno's and Jim's, the only 3 I have ever had in Philly and win in a land slide!  I will not take a shot at the 4 Seasons yet!

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2020, 08:19:31 PM »

Looks great.  Glad you guys are enjoying that brand from RD.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 45   Go Up