Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 17 Nov 2023
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3VTIkW4f7o

Family may limit my opportunities but I'm going to give 150° a try at my first chance.
  • #2 by Canadian John on 17 Nov 2023
  • #3 by BigDave83 on 17 Nov 2023
  • I have done them to 155 but not lower, because if there was any pink my people would think I was trying to kill them and wouldn't eat it. Although I do them sous vide at 140 for 4-6 hours and they are always done through.
  • #4 by Bentley on 17 Nov 2023
  • Are you pulling at 150° or shooting for that as a finished IT?  Science tells us 2 minutes at 146° we are bacteria free, so why not.  I eat sous vide chicken at 155° all the time.
  • #5 by pmillen on 17 Nov 2023
  • #6 by pmillen on 17 Nov 2023
  • Are you pulling at 150° or shooting for that as a finished IT?

I figured that he was pulling them at 150° and that the carryover went to at least 155° but I need to check his video again to be certain.

Science tells us 2 minutes at 146° we are bacteria free, so why not.

I'm uncertain about that.  The chart that Canadian John directed us to says 146° requires 7.9 minutes.  Am I reading something incorrectly?
  • #7 by hughver on 17 Nov 2023
  • I also sous vide to 140°. I do dark meat to 160°.
  • #8 by BigDave83 on 17 Nov 2023
  • Are you pulling at 150° or shooting for that as a finished IT?

I figured that he was pulling them at 150° and that the carryover went to at least 155° but I need to check his video again to be certain.

Science tells us 2 minutes at 146° we are bacteria free, so why not.

I'm uncertain about that.  The chart that Canadian John directed us to says 146° requires 7.9 minutes.  Am I reading something incorrectly?

He pulled them at the temps and then they sat, the 150 one sat until all the rest were done, the 165 one didn't rest as long as the others did.

I read through some of the comments and people were asking if he could do the same and leave the probes in to see where they end up temp wise.

he also said he was going to do another one and try lower temps, but I could not find that and I asked in the comments about it, so we will see if I get any replies.

it may be a good experiment for me to try sometime, i would have to go get some normal sized breasts, I usually by in bulk from the poultry plant or cases from Gordons, a 10# bag from Gordons has 7 breast halves in it. they go 1.5# a piece. I would have to see if I have 2 working thermometers with enough probes, or maybe just use the thermapen on them when they are all done and rested.
  • #9 by Bentley on 18 Nov 2023
  • This is the one I use.  I see I was looking at beef curve not poultry.

• #10 by hughver on 18 Nov 2023
  • That's the curve that I use also.
  • #11 by Darwin on 19 Nov 2023
  • I have eaten cases of chicken breast over the years. I always pull them at 145 without any issues.
    I have switched to thighs now that I can’t find small breast.
Pages:
Actions