Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 02 Jun 2018
  •      These look as though they'll be handy.
  • #2 by Bentley on 02 Jun 2018
  • What a great way to get multiple at once!  Many uses!
  • #3 by pmillen on 17 Jun 2018
  • It turns out that I like my old way, with skewers, better.

I can “sweep” them onto the grill to cook one side, then “sweep” them the other way for the other side.  Done!
  • #4 by Canadian John on 18 Jun 2018

• Good idea(Raft Skewers). Newer isn't always better..
  • #5 by Bentley on 18 Jun 2018
  • I do not understand the sweep.  With a skewer through them, they are not moving correct? 
  • #6 by pmillen on 18 Jun 2018
  • I do not understand the sweep.  With a skewer through them, they are not moving correct?

They swing.  So I lay them down on the grill with the tips touching the grates and "sweeping" them from left to right.  They're all pointing the same direction that way.

When I want to grill the other side, I do the same but sweep them from right to left as I lay them down.  As a result, they have all been turned over.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Jun 2018
  • I still don't get the "sweep".
  • #8 by Bentley on 18 Jun 2018
  • I get the sweep, is there a skewer in them when this is happening?

You are kind of doing what this guy does at the 1:40 mark in the video?

https://youtu.be/WEbAQSbOHqw
  • #9 by pmillen on 18 Jun 2018
  • I get the sweep, is there a skewer in them when this is happening?

Yep, I skewer them before cooking in order to organize them.

You are kind of doing what this guy does at the 1:40 mark in the video?

https://youtu.be/WEbAQSbOHqw

What I do isn't like the video.  He cooks them unskewered.  I don't like that 'cause I can't be certain that they all get turned properly when I want to sear the other side.  Skewering also keeps them from falling through the grates.

I still don't get the "sweep".

I'm not doing a good job of explaining this. 

1)  I skewer them so they all hang down and swing.
    2)  I lower them so they just barely touch the grate.
    3)  I move them to the side as I continue to lower them (the "sweep").
    4)  Now they're on the grill all pointed in the same direction.
    5)  I lift them from the grate when the first side is adequately seared.
    6)  I repeat the process to the other direction to sear the other side.
  • #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 18 Jun 2018
  • I get it now.
  • #11 by Bentley on 18 Jun 2018
  • I just cant seem to figure it out...When you say sweep, I am imagining the asp "rolling" from one side to the other.  For the life of me, I cant see 10 asp with a stick through them moving at all, unless you pick them up and turn them over!
  • #12 by pmillen on 18 Jun 2018
  • It's somewhat like "painting" the grates with the asparagus but I lay them down as I make the "paint" stroke.
  • #13 by slaga on 18 Jun 2018
  • He picks the asparagus up by the single stick. All of the tips of the asparagus point down like the bristles on a broom. The sweep is just to get all of the asparagus to lean the same direction so he can lay them down. It is the way he flips the asparagus. Look at the 3rd post in this thread for a picture of the asparagus with a single stick in them.
  • #14 by Mudflap on 18 Jun 2018
  • I like the skewer idea but not sure how it is easier turning over. The raft looks like you pick up and turn over or am I missing something? I would use the skewers because it would be easier stabbing one stick through them instead of two using the raft. I just use my small pizza screen when cooking them and roll like the video Bentley posted.

Mudflap
Pages:
Actions