Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Seasoning corroded hole through tin foil.  (Read 1584 times)

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
Re: Seasoning corroded hole through tin foil.
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 03:24:33 PM »

I've only done a dozen or so briskets in my life and only like 3 with butcher paper, but I've been happiest with it vs foil or no wrapping at all. To me, it seems to keep things more moist than not wrapping, but doesn't completely ruin the bark like foil does. I don't staple, tape, or tie, I just double wrap it going two different directions. It works well on chuck roast too for shredded beef.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 11:20:05 AM »

BC Buck, you created a small battery, a cell, and the electric current running through it etched away one of the battery's electrodes.

Do an Internet search on beware the lasagna cell.  There's your answer.

Pink butcher paper looks better and better to me.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BC Buck

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 12:10:32 PM »

BC Buck, you created a small battery, a cell, and the electric current running through it etched away one of the battery's electrodes.

Have never used butcher paper but looks like would be tough not to loose most of the juices. What is difference in pink and white paper.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 12:39:28 PM »

Have never used butcher paper but looks like would be tough not to loose most of the juices. What is difference in pink and white paper.

Adam Franklin uses butcher paper everyday at his business.  I think you can be assured you won't lose most of the juices.  I have a roll in the garage but have never used it.  Haven't made a brisket in a few years either.  I do plan to try it.  Others on here have, and I think they will never switch back to foil.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2019, 04:20:16 PM »

What is difference in pink and white paper.

IDK.   :)

But in the things I read, either butcher paper or sometimes pink butcher paper is specified.  I've not used either.  We used brown butcher paper, waxed on one side, in my dad's butcher shop 60 years ago.

The Times They Are A-Changin'
                              Bob Dylan
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2019, 04:30:23 PM »

i believe they recommend not using any that has wax on it
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

glitchy

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2019, 05:43:51 PM »

White is bleached, pink or tannish is usually natural I believe.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

Fire708

• Shelton!
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 11:16:44 AM »

The aluminum/ Alzheimer’s antiperspirant stuff was debunked a long time ago. The elevated levels were caused by preserving the tissue samples in that study. The bad thing is aluminum is a toxin and it’s still being studied. Aluminum doesn’t seem to cross into the brain very well but low levels screw with neurotransmitters and may cause problems. My son is a neurologist, it’s what he’s doing research on right now. He cooks with aluminum but now I have to ask him what he thinks of the corrosion area in BC’s example. I’m forgetful enough as is so I’m not gonna speed things up.

Either way I never leave food in contact with metals very long. Especially salty or acidic foods. Once in a while it seems to throw the taste off and if you have non coated cookware, it can stain the metal. I stick to glass for storage.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:30:38 AM by Fire708 »

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 01:36:56 PM »

My opinion continues to evolve.  Right now I'm thinking that butcher paper, parchment paper or a Reynolds oven bag inside the foil wrap will ease my concerns.
Paul

Fire708

• Shelton!
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 05:02:03 PM »

Well,
My son just linked me some interesting research he found. Long story short he no longer cooks with foil or foil pans. He still uses his aluminum pots / pans since their anodized and coated.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21157018
http://www.electrochemsci.org/papers/vol7/7054498.pdf
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sadettin_Turhan/publication/285200416_Aluminium_contents_in_baked_meats_wrapped_in_aluminium_foil/links/565c547608ae4988a7bb6a91/Aluminium-contents-in-baked-meats-wrapped-in-aluminium-foil.pdf

He did add that it’s still unknown if the high levels are the cause of Alzheimer’s or a result of the changes from Alzheimer’s.

I’m in pmillien’s camp 100%. Other thatbwrapping ribs I seldem cook with foil and wil start substituting butcher paper.

glitchy

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2019, 02:01:34 AM »

My guess is you’ll like the results with butcher paper, Ive definitely encountered a better bark since switching.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2019, 02:04:49 PM »

I use aluminum pans with a foil top seal. The highest pit temperature that I use with these pans is 250°. My issue with either foil on butcher paper is the ease of adding and/or preserving juices. These pans are widely used  at much higher temperatures and, as far as I know, not been cited for contamination.  :2cents:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2024, 02:37:32 PM »

The last several things I've smoked have beed wrapped in aluminum foil.  I've never had the development described in this thread so I went back to it.

Any thoughts?
Paul

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2024, 06:30:44 PM »

I still wrap the top of buys when I take them out of the cooker, with foil because I usually forget to plastic it first. I still get the hole sin the foil that touched the meat, no matter what foil i use. Name brand or cheaper heavy duty foil or the regular thickness foil. But if I plastic then foil for the rest the foil is unharmed. So I am still thinking it is the reaction to the foil from the heat and salts in the rubs.

pmillen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2024, 11:17:38 AM »

I had been wrapping briskets in paper first and then foil.  But the last few times I just used foil.  There's not been a galvanic reaction salt corrosion so I haven't been concerned.

BigDave, I wonder if I haven't seen any galvanic reactions salt corrosion because my rub has fused into bark when I wrap.  Perhaps yours is not as formed, more like the rub when you first put it on.

EDIT:  Corrected my nomenclature after thinking about it more.  It isn't bimetal corrosion.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 10:26:51 AM by pmillen »
Paul

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up