Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: The Dessert Thread...  (Read 22557 times)

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
The Dessert Thread...
« on: June 30, 2018, 06:53:38 PM »

Hey, I figured if it was good enough for burgers, pizza and sandwiches...

I am not  big dessert person myself...But in the AA meetings I go to it has always been a way to celebrate another year of sobriety.  I go to a meeting where the person who usually makes the cakes is getting ready to celebrate either 8 or 9 years, so I am going to make something.  I tried last week to make a Dobos Tort.  I like the look of it as I searched the internet.  The one I made last week was a complete failure.  I have limited baking knowledge, strong in some areas, weak in others.  This recipe calls for egg whites, I foolishly thought I could get away with a very small amount of yolk in the whites and I was severely punished for thinking that, it was like a Very, very bad pancake...I digress!

So I decide today to work on just the cake portion of the tort.  Came out much better.  Kristin had some pineapple and strawberries and was going to make so nonsensical, made up dessert.  So I told her to let me have the filling she was working on to put between my layers of cake to see how this thing will look when we go with a 14 layer!  Below is an 8 layer version!

Not sure if I will stick with this cake recipe or just go back to a basic cake mix...and still not decided on filling...but getting closer on the cake portion made me happy!

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 09:14:28 PM by Bentley »
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
Re: Who likes Dessert?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 07:00:02 PM »

I was not making a nonsensical dessert, I was making a fresh strawberry and pineapple fool (also known as an Eton Mess by our friends of British extraction).  I just stiffed it up a bit with some cream cheese and powdered sugar and it made a nice filling.

Trooper

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 08:10:55 PM »

I am not  big dessert person myself...

Ahh....Hello?!

Remember Jeffersonville?? Intense HEAT in the upper room where the desert was being assembled. My self directed assignment was to wipe the sweat from your face so it wouldn't drip into the finished dessert.
First place, as I recall
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 08:13:07 PM by Trooper »
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 08:34:18 PM »

Yeah, but I made that winning dessert in Jeffersonville.  He just assembled it per my instructions. :pig:

Trooper

• Grand Haven, MI
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 08:52:24 PM »

Yeah, but I made that winning dessert in Jeffersonville.  He just assembled it per my instructions. :pig:

I am indeed, very aware of those circumstances!
Through many dangers, toils, and snares,I have already come;
-Tis grace hath brought me safe thus far,
   and grace will lead me home.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
Flour less Cake...
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 02:42:28 PM »

I have a friend in AA that will celebrate 17 years on Monday.  They have been on a Keto diet for several months and have lost about 50lbs.  I guess carbohydrates are not part of the diet, so I decided to make a flour less cake.  Let me tell you, there are options for low carb cakes, but flour less is pretty limited.  Eggs, butter and chocolate.  It was a simple process, beat whole eggs till they triple in volume, melt butter and chocolate, incorporate both, pour into 9 inch pan and cook at 375° in a bain marie for 20 minutes.  It comes out with the texture of pudding, but sets up nicely in fridge overnight.

Ganache frosting, which I made yesterday and tried to ice the cake today.  I have made ganache before, but never tried to reheat it for icing.  Now I know why, either the fat from the heavy cream or the chocolate or both separates, as you can see by what looks like oil in the picture.  Well, this is why I have learned to do a practice before taking to the group!  I think the one Monday will be much prettier with that fresh ganache that has flowed down the sides!

It is not a dessert I would request, and to be honest she didn't, but I hope since it has no carbs in it, she has the option, there will be 2 other cakes there too.  It is like eating a big slice of Truffle, if you are into that I think you will dig it, just not for me, it is a one bite wonder!

It's the thought that counts, right!    :pig:

urnmor

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
Re: Flour less Cake...
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 05:23:39 PM »

Funny because i had the urge to make one today so I did.  My recipe is a little different as I use sugar, and coffee along with the eggs, butter and chocolate, I also cook mine at 350 for about 40 minutes or until their is a little jiggle.  My recipe is to chop the chocolate, beat the eggs with salt, and vanilla, heat the  sugar, butter and coffee bring to a boil, add to the chocolate stir until melted then stir in the mixture of eggs, salt land vanilla.  I also top with a ganache. 
You are right in that it is very rich. 

SmokinHandyman

• Springfield, Illinois
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 06:00:32 PM »

Looks good to me.
Where is the glass of milk?
If you are gonna cook, Make it a fun day even when ya mess it up!                     Louisiana LG700

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2019, 07:16:49 PM »

I watched 3 youtube videos, the 1st two cooked theirs in spring form pans.  One cooked hers at 275° for 45-50 minutes, the other 325° for 1 hour and 25 minutes...both of the tops of theirs looked like a lake bed in Death Valley.  So when I saw the 3rd one I was intrigued!  I also could not believe you could cook a cake, even at 375° and make it set in 20 minutes of cooking, even refrigerated over night.  That is why I was drawn to it, well that and the top did not look like a dried lake bed.

And I just realized I use Dark Chocolate and on the next one it will be semi-sweet, a bit less "heavy" I am hoping!

...I also cook mine at 350 for about 40 minutes or until their is a little jiggle.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
The Dessert thread...
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2021, 01:35:54 PM »

Doing a Swiss Roll for an AA Buddy who will celebrate 22 years on Monday.  These are harder cakes then I thought.  I also wish I was more versed in the Art of Chocolate, as the Ganache frosting is a bit of an issue.  This is after 2 coats, and i am afraid it will take two more to get the look I want!  No pan size was indicated, and I believe I used one that was 2 small.

This is a made from scratch sponge.  5 egg yokes blended with sugar, then 5 egg whites whipped to a stiff peak.  Incorporated with 90 grams of AP flour and 50g of both oil & milk.  Baked in a 9 x 13 at 340° for about 22 minutes.  The recipe is from a youtube video by Cooking See.  One trick was to cut the one end of the cake at a 45° angle and also put about a 1/8" score every 3/4" across the width of the cake.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2021, 09:14:01 PM by Bentley »

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
Re: The Difficult Swiss Roll.
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2021, 01:53:30 PM »

3rd coating.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2021, 01:54:09 PM »

Try putting in fridge to chill before putting the chocolate on.
Should make the chocolate harden quicker.

I don't think there will be any complaints.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 01:57:56 PM by 02ebz06 »
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2021, 02:51:21 PM »

Got tired of coats and just frosted it at the end.

02ebz06

• Rio Rancho, NM
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »

Putting whipped cream on it before rolling up might be a future option.

Our dessert today made me thing of the whipped cream.
Was originally going to have Key Lime pie, but got changed to Blueberry Cream Cheese pie.
Bruce here - These are my cooking toys:
Lone Star Grillz 20x42 Pellet Grill (on order),   CampChef XXL Vertical Pellet Smoker,   Grilla Grills Primate (on order),   Pizza Party Emozione pizza oven

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Mayberry
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2021, 03:33:05 PM »

It has a jelly center.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18   Go Up