Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by urnmor on 04 Apr 2021
  • It looks great and congratulations to your friend as it is quite an accomplishment
  • #17 by cookingjnj on 05 Apr 2021
  • Tip of the hat to your friend Bent, that is awesome.  If you want to make one of those and send it my way, I would not turn it down....looks great!
  • #18 by yorkdude on 05 Apr 2021
  • That looks awfully good.
  • #19 by ofelles on 05 Apr 2021
  • congrats to your friend "One day at a time"! :clap:
  • #20 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2021
  • Have gone back to practicing with cake mixes.  I cant seem to avoid the outer cracking when rolled.  You can't see it in either of these photos.  The roll is in the fridge right now, but will try and take a picture before the Stucco is apply to hide the cracks.  Will use the remaining filling for that.  On the next one, I am going to allow the cake to cool for several hours and see if that will help the cake to keep its shape better.  It is fun practice.  And I have another AA buddy coming over Friday to make Potatis Korv, and he just celebrated 37 years on Sunday!  So he can talk half home!

• #21 by Bentley on 07 Apr 2021
  • Big difference between a sponge cake like the 1st one and this red velvet box cake.  I ran out of Spackle or it would look a little better.  For as bad as they look, man are they tasty cakes.  The pudding/cream cheese filling will permeate the cake in the next 24 hours and it becomes the most moist and wonderful thing you can imagine!

Lot of learning before I am proficient with this dessert!

• #22 by Bentley on 31 Jul 2021
  • An AA lady friend will celebrate 30 years on the 9th, and has asked for a Key Lime.  Having never made a Key Lime I figured I better get qualified to make one.  I do not believe I will go with this recipe, it was from allrecipes Key Lime Pie VII, yet I found it most intriguing! There was no way I though this would solidify, not with the ingredients.  It is simply sweetened condensed milk, sour cream and key lime juice.  It was to be blended and baked in a gram cracker pie crust for 5-8 minutes, until pin hole bubbles appeared.  The bubbles never appeared and I cooked it for about 12 minutes and let it cool down in the oven after it was turned off.  It was then refrigerated over night and horrendously decorated with something, certainly not a rose, but something. 

It was much firmer then I would have believe it could be, actually firmer then any "real" Key Lime I have had.  But I do not believe you can beat eeg yoks as a base in a dessert like this, so round II will go back to traditional.

If you like Key Lime (not really on my hit list) you might enjoy this recipe.  It is very simple and only takes about 25 minutes from start to finish!

2 14oz cans of Sweetened Condensed Milk.
    1/2 cup Sour Cream.
    6oz (I would use a full cup) Key Lime Juice.  It is supposed to be fresh squeezed.  Not gonna happen in Mayberry.  Maybe if it was fresh squeezed It would only need 6oz.
    2 Tbs. Key Lime Zest. (Again, did not happen)

Mix ingredients & 1 Tsp of zest until incorporated.  Pour in shell, bake at 350° for 5-8 minutes. Do NOT let pie brown. (Maybe you will see pin hole bubbles, if not see above for cooking instructions.  Can garnish with whipped cream and Key Lime slices and remaining Zest!

• #23 by 02ebz06 on 31 Jul 2021
  • Looks Tasty.  Key Lime and Blueberry are my favorite pies, although, I don't think there is any I would turn down.

Here is a no-bake Key Lime Pie recipe:
    We've made it, and it is good.
    I guess the difference for ingredients in this recipe to yours eggs instead of sour cream.

Key Lime Pie (courtesy of TXCraig at Pizza Making forum)

Ingredients:
    1      ea    Graham Cracker Pie Crust (Home Made preferred)
    4      ea    Pasteurized Shell Eggs (because recipe is not cooked, Wal-Mart has them)
    1/2   cup   Fresh Key Lime Juice (not from bottle)
    1      can   Eagle sweetened condensed milk (14 oz.)

Directions:

Separate the 4 eggs
    Beat the yolks with hand mixer until are all mixed up nice and smooth - about 20 seconds.
    Add the condensed milk.
    Add 1/4 cup of the fresh Key lime juice and mix it in (on low speed if using electric).
    Add the other 1/4 cup of the lime juice and mix it in.
    You will see it immediately start to thicken up some.
    Pour it into your crust and let it sit.
    Put in fridge to cool.
  • #24 by Bentley on 01 Aug 2021
  • "Ric's" bread pudding with walnuts!

• #25 by SmokinHandyman on 01 Aug 2021
  • "Ric's" bread pudding with walnuts!

My Mom would like that.
    Recipe please
  • #26 by Bentley on 01 Aug 2021
  • For a 9 x 13 pan.  350° oven.

Appx 6 cups of chunked Bread or bread like substance.  I have used day old doughnuts.  Also find that a loaf that can be pulled apart into smaller pieces works the best. i.e, French or Italian loaf instead of sliced bread.  But sliced will work.
    6 eggs
    2 cups whole milk
    2 cups white sugar
    1 Stick Softened Butter
    1 Cup Brown Sugar
    3/4 Cup Raisins
    1 Cup Chopped Pecans
    2 Tbs Vanilla

Oil 9 x 13 pan.  Mix eggs, milk, white sugar, raisins & vanilla till incorporated.  Bread can be fresh or stale.  Take bread, add to mixture and toss well.  Let sit for 10 minutes.  Pour into oiled pan and bake. Crush pecan or rough chop.  Mix butter and brown sugar with hands till lumpy, add pecans and mix with hands till incorporated.  Drop all over top of bread pudding.  Bake, may take 45 minutes, may take 75 minutes.  When IT of mixture reaches 190°, turn off oven and let pan set for 25 minutes in oven.

Optional sauce.  In double boiler mix 1 stick butter with 1 cup sugar. Beat 1 egg well.  Once sugar and butter are incorporated, start whisking in egg, whisking constantly.  Will take 4 of 5 pours of the egg mixture to make sure it does not break.  At this point you can add vanilla for a classic vanilla sauce or Bourbon, or Rum, etc...They look down on the latter for stuff eaten at AA meetings!    :pig:

Recipe please
  • #27 by Kristin Meredith on 01 Aug 2021
  • I had a friend who made bread pudding with cinnamon rolls and it was outstanding!  Also, challah bread makes great bread pudding.
  • #28 by SmokinHandyman on 01 Aug 2021
  • Thanks for the Bread Pudding recipe.
    I think I will make that for my mom's 83 B-Day
  • #29 by Bentley on 05 Sep 2021
  • Another friend celebrating 1 year of Sobriety tomorrow.  He asked for a Peach Cobbler, so there is the 1st Peach Cobbler I have ever made.  Kind of tough giving someone something you have never made before and not being able to taste it before hand.  On the other hand I would not know what good Peach Cobbler taste like anyway!

Kristin is doing a Spice Cake for another friend, she is celebrating 41 years tomorrow.  So hopefully Kristin will snap off a few photos and post them!

• #30 by yorkdude on 06 Sep 2021
  • The cobbler looks fantastic, I can’t believe you have never had it…yum.
Pages:
Actions