Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by 02ebz06 on 13 Jul 2020
  • I had a really tough time cutting that beautiful brisket into pieces to fit the grinder for making hamburger meat.
    Then I reminded myself, cheapest hamburger meat I could find (80/20 and you don't know what's in it) was $5.49/lb. and the brisket was $2.56/lb.
    I feel better now.

• #2 by pmillen on 13 Jul 2020
  • Yes!  It isn't uncommon.  Grind away.  Be frugal and have better burgers.  I'm all for it.
  • #3 by Ralphie on 13 Jul 2020
  • What kind of grinder do you use? 
    I had a KitchenAid grinder attachment but it would have taken three days to grind a whole brisket with that thing.
  • #4 by yorkdude on 13 Jul 2020
    I had a KitchenAid grinder attachment but it would have taken three days to grind a whole brisket with that thing.
    That is what we have and while it works you are correct. I really want a grinder but like many things, have put it off. Need to rethink it.
  • #5 by pmillen on 13 Jul 2020
  • Grind away with that Kitchen Aide.

Worthwhile things don't come quickly.
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 13 Jul 2020
  • If my LEM grinds meat like it slices jerky, it will take longer to trim the brisket and cut into chunks than it will to grind it.  It should only take a few minutes.
  • #7 by pmillen on 13 Jul 2020
  • My problem would be in calculating the fat percentage.  I wonder how careful the meat cutters are.
  • #8 by okie smokie on 14 Jul 2020
  • I had a really tough time cutting that beautiful brisket into pieces to fit the grinder for making hamburger meat.
    Then I reminded myself, cheapest hamburger meat I could find (80/20 and you don't know what's in it) was $5.49/lb. and the brisket was $2.56/lb.
    I feel better now.
    Bet the 80/20 pre grind meat was the butchers scraps before grinding.  So you are better off all around.
  • #9 by 02ebz06 on 14 Jul 2020

I have a LEM #8.
    Would have liked the #12, but don't use it that often so I bought the #8 as it was cheaper.

• #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jul 2020
  • I have the #8 too.  How long did it take to grind and how many lbs was the brisket before trimming and cubing to grind?
  • #11 by 02ebz06 on 14 Jul 2020
  • I have the #8 too.  How long did it take to grind and how many lbs was the brisket before trimming and cubing to grind?

Brisket was almost 20 lbs. Trimmed maybe 8 oz. of fat.

Didn't have time to go through whole process as fridge croaked, and we were scrambling to salvage everything.
    We do have other fridge space, but most was filled, so a lot of cramming.
    So just to get it out of fridge, we cut it up, vacuum sealed and put in freezer.
    Probably won't get to it until next week as new fridge gets delivered next Monday.
    Will update when I grind it.

Had a pork shoulder in there and that went on the smoker.
    Also a couple pork loins for making Canadian Bacon.
    Need to get them in brine today or tomorrow.

• #12 by Bentley on 14 Jul 2020
  • I have never had issues grinding fairly fast with my Kitchen-aid.  I did 5lbs of chicken for sausage yesterday and it took less then 5 minutes.  I could do a whole brisket in about 15.
  • #13 by cookingjnj on 14 Jul 2020
  • I also have the Kitchenaid attachment which I used to grind chuck a few weeks back.  It only took 10 minutes to cut the roast up, and send through the grinder twice.   Figure a 20# brisket would be just north of 30-35 minutes from a whole hunk of meat into ground beef.  But then again math was never my strong suit. 
  • #14 by Brushpopper on 15 Jul 2020
  • I got a small flat top for Father's Day and I'm addicted to asada tacos from several different places around here.  Do y'all think I could use the grinder attachment on a Kitchenaid to make small chunks of meat for asada or should I find a good Mexican meat market/grocery store in San Antonio?  They look to be a quarter inch or less before cooking is my guess.
  • #15 by Bentley on 15 Jul 2020
  • I do not believe that there is a die plate big enough to give you the results you are looking for on a grind.  What cut do you like for it?  Cutting it after grilling should not be to tough for you!  Do you have a cleaver or a 10 inch Chefs knife?
Pages:
Actions