Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Canadian John on 05 Aug 2020

•  I just finished doing a 9.7 LB shoulder on my pre-heated Memphis Pro @ 220º. It was dry brined for 48 hours then got a generous coating of Memphis Dust. Placed directly on the grate. I had my Smoke probes

as well as  the pit meat probe in use. The grate temp was a consistent 220º, +/- 6º.

The meat probes were relatively equal in their readings. The internal temperatures were "normal", rising as they had many times before.

In the past, I always hit stall around 160º. Not this time. Just kept going (perhaps there was some Energizer Bunny cross-bread into the shoulder).  It crept up to 195 or 6º and stalled big time. I expected the

done temp,  ~ 200º -205º, to appear soon. It didn't. It took a good 4 Hrs to climb those last few degrees. Being an impatient sort, I pulled it @ 201º after a second check using a Thermopen. It probed tender so

off it came . Wrapped + into my cooler to stabilize for a couple of hours. Then it will be pull time.

I have had shoulders not stall before , especially cooking @ higher temps. Never have I experienced stall in the 190º range. Am I alone?
  • #2 by lil moose on 05 Aug 2020
  • I had this happen one time and thought the temp prob was wrong.  Best I could tell was the butt had a lot of fat where I placed the prob so I was thinking it just hit a late stall due to the fat then took awhile to get past it.  So not 100% sure why it did it

I did a goat shoulder one time that stalled 6 times due to silver skin and fat about drove me nuts trying to get it out of the stall but it did and turned out great

All I can say for sure is a hunk of meat is done when it wants to be done no two are alike that's for sure       
  • #3 by Canadian John on 05 Aug 2020

•  Re fat: There was almost none. What little there was was on the bottom.. The probes were well centred in the shoulder away from the bone.

After a few hours rested, wrapped + in a cooler, I pulled it.  With out a doubt, one of the best shoulders I have done. The bone pulled out of the meat easily - just slid out. The texture, taste and moisture were

over the top..  No sauce. Just the dry brine + bark were added to this wonderful piece of meat.
Pages:
Actions