Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by ZCZ on 19 Jan 2024
  • Scenic view up on the Santa Rosa Plateau near Murrieta
  • #2 by ZCZ on 19 Jan 2024
  • Bought some thin sliced NY Strip steak meat that I thought I would try to make into jerky

• #3 by ZCZ on 19 Jan 2024
  • First up I thought I would try it in a fajita
  • #4 by ZCZ on 19 Jan 2024
  • It fries up really quickly. I seasoned it in the pan with Kinder’s Taco Blend

• #5 by ZCZ on 19 Jan 2024
  • Fajitas were very good. Meat was very tender of course and easy to chew.
  • #6 by ZCZ on 19 Jan 2024
  • Mixed up a batch of “jerky soup” using the usual suspects I had laying around the kitchen.  Soy sauce, Worchestshire sauce, a little bit of steak sauce and Teriyaki sauce, plus garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, some ground red pepper flakes, salt.
    Let it marinade overnight in the fridge

• #7 by ZCZ on 19 Jan 2024
  • On the Pro at 180.
    The frogmats work really well for jerky
  • #8 by ZCZ on 19 Jan 2024
  • Ready to pull off
  • #9 by ZCZ on 19 Jan 2024
  • Finished product.  I will break them up into smaller pieces.
    Taste was OK, not the best batch I have made.  The meat is a little too thinly sliced for jerky and tends to break apart too easily.  Perhaps smoked too long. The Pro did very well purring along at a rock steady 180 for the whole cook.
    Thanks for watching.
  • #10 by ZCZ on 19 Jan 2024
  • Total smoke time was about 4 hours
  • #11 by Bentley on 19 Jan 2024
  • Man, I bet that is some fine tasting jerky!  Both from a beef standpoint and from the marinade!
  • #12 by Bar-B-Lew on 20 Jan 2024
  • Looks like you had fun making it, enjoying the process in the nice climate, and will enjoy eating it.  I had never seen a NY strip sliced like that at a store.  Here are a few thoughts from my experiences making jerky over the years.

I would highly recommend you buy a dehydrator at Cabela's or Bass Pro that has 10-12 trays if you plan to do this more frequently.  You could smoke for two hours and then put in the dehydrator for 2-3 hours.  It will not be as brittle and thin.  You can leave the meat on the frog mats when moved from smoker to dehydrator trays.  I think the 180 degree temp is too high as you are cooking it versus dehydrating it.

Come up with a dry rub similar to your wet marinade.  Sprinkle a little bit of it over top of the meat after you have pulled the meat out of the wet and placed on the frog mats.  It adds to the flavor in my opinion.

I would also suggest leaving the meat in the wet marinade for 24+ hours and mix the meat around a few times during that time period.  I think it helps to get a little more flavor into the meat, but probably helps get more on all of the surface area of the slices.
  • #13 by ZCZ on 20 Jan 2024
  • Those are good tips Lew.  I don’t make it that often so I won’t be getting a dehydrator. Agree on I was cooking them basically and your rub idea is one I will use next time.  Thank you for your feedback.
  • #14 by Big Bear on 20 Jan 2024
  • I got the same meat at my Costco out here in Portland home of mania. Good meat. I stirred up a bunch of packaged jerky cure, then after marinating it I dehydrated it in my Air Fryer. Worked very well and it was jerky. On my air fryer I can set and reset the time to adjust the doneness of the jerky from chewy to teeth yanking. Of course I can only do four 9" x 9" trays at a time but that's enough for me.. ZCZ I like the other things you did with that cut as well, will have to try it for myself. Maybe Philly Cheese steak? Have a Good Day....!
  • #15 by Bar-B-Lew on 21 Jan 2024
  • I got the same meat at my Costco out here in Portland home of mania. Good meat. I stirred up a bunch of packaged jerky cure, then after marinating it I dehydrated it in my Air Fryer. Worked very well and it was jerky. On my air fryer I can set and reset the time to adjust the doneness of the jerky from chewy to teeth yanking. Of course I can only do four 9" x 9" trays at a time but that's enough for me.. ZCZ I like the other things you did with that cut as well, will have to try it for myself. Maybe Philly Cheese steak? Have a Good Day....!

I was thinking the same thing about a cheese steak.  Never heard of anyone using a NY strip for it, but I think it would work.  IMO, you need to chop it up good while cooking it and probably setting your stove top at about medium while doing so.  I am interested to see one of you give it a try and provide your thoughts on your outcome.
Pages:
Actions