Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by hughver on 04 Feb 2024
  • A while back I bought a corned flat and it's use by date was getting near so a few days ago I started the process of converting it to pastrami. I had an old recipe from the old Pellethead site that I used. The last time that I did this I sous vide instead of steaming. This time I'll steam with apple juice to an IT of 185°, probably about 4 hours. I have the original recipe from Smokey Logger, if anyone wants it I can post it.
  • #2 by jdmessner on 05 Feb 2024
  • I have only tried pastrami once and it was a long time ago. I would be interested in seeing your recipe and what you thought about the steaming process. Did you like it better than sous vide?
  • #3 by hughver on 05 Feb 2024
  • The flat is in the smoker as I  type. I'll try to attach the recipe to this post
  • #4 by hughver on 05 Feb 2024
  • try this
  • #5 by hughver on 06 Feb 2024
  • Pastrami is done. This was a relatively small flat, so the timing was off from the recipe values. But the flavor was very good. Tonight's supper on Jewish rye with Swiss cheese, mustard and pickle.
  • #6 by Bentley on 06 Feb 2024
  • Outside of the correct spices...I believe the steam finish is the most important part!
  • #7 by hughver on 06 Feb 2024
  • I believe that you are right. I kept it at 210°  for almost an hour. Similar to pot roast.
  • #8 by hughver on 07 Feb 2024
  • With St. Patrick's day coming up, I think that when corned beef goes on sale, I'll buy a couple more and this time I'll smoke to 160° then instant pot for 70 minutes instead of steaming. No cabbage.
Pages:
Actions