Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Darwin on 14 Jan 2018
  • The monsoons / micro burst hate my fast growing desert trees so I went a got my self a Stihl MS170 chainsaw.  It's feels like its time to sharpen the chain and I know nothing about doing that.  I would guess the chain will need resharpening maybe once a year.  I have already cut down the only hardwood tree I have, the rest are soft palo brea trees.  Should I get a sharpening kit and learn, have the chain resharpened by a pro or just buy a new one? I know the answer depends upon several variables, so lets round up and keep this simple.
    Thanks.
  • #2 by Jcorwin818 on 14 Jan 2018
  • For me and my Stihl I have 2 chains so when one needs to be sharpen I just put the sharp one on and take in my dull chain to be sharpened.  It’s not worth the hassle or time to sharpen it myself.
  • #3 by CaptJerry on 14 Jan 2018
  • It would take me longer to find my file than stopping in at local auto parts store
    will sharpen it while you wait. Been a year or two but it was 3 bucks.
  • #4 by Bentley on 14 Jan 2018
  • As you can see, these other 2 gentleman are not cheap screws and their time is worth something...I am, well, lets move on!

I bought this probably 10-15 years ago in Pasadena?  Who would have known you would need a chainsaw in Pasadena.  And I got tired of having to drive 15 miles in LA traffic to find someone who sharpened them and at $8 a pop, that was a one time trip. A new chain was $15 at the time, that was unacceptable!

I now cut a lot of wood, my chains go dull in about 2 weeks.  I also like a VERY sharp chain as I believe it just helps with safety, and I am more of a mayhem person.  Yes it is a cheap product, it cost like $30 when I bought it, and I was surprised to see they had one in Harbor Freight with a few more features at the same price a few days ago. But it works real well!  My chains are to be sharpened at a 25°, so it is easy to set my angle, 17° or 22° or 27° would not be as easy.  (Maybe precise would be a better term)

I believe the experts would use a round file...Sorry that takes hand eye coordination and that is why I was a lineman.

Once a year, all this is probably a moot point for you.  But I thought you might like another option. Alt and the + will make the instructions larger.

• #5 by Bentley on 14 Jan 2018
  • Ohh, and it is real simple to use after a couple of uses you will have the chain sharpened in less then 5 minutes...
  • #6 by Jcorwin818 on 14 Jan 2018
  • Bentley if I was cutting wood like you I would own one of those and do it myself to.
  • #7 by Mudflap on 14 Jan 2018
  • #8 by Bentley on 14 Jan 2018
  • I do not want to hurt this guys feeling, but my saw would have cut that in about 3 seconds, not nine...He needs to works on his sharpening!    :pig:
  • #9 by Darwin on 14 Jan 2018
  • The company i got the saw is just down the street and they are a full service farm machinery Deere /Stink dealer.  I will call them Tuesday to ask about sharpening.  Knowing the cost and the supplied information above should help me find the right answer.
    Thanks everyone.   ;)

• #10 by Bar-B-Lew on 14 Jan 2018
  • Unless you are using that chainsaw to cut your brisket or to cut trees to make your own pellets, this type of conversation doesn't belong here. ;)

Bentley is like our resident Cliff Clavin.
  • #11 by Rolngthun on 15 Jan 2018
  •  The correct round file and 10 dollar a roller guide with gauge makes quick work of the chain. Oh and a black sharpie so you know where you started.
Pages:
Actions