Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New DLX and new to pellets  (Read 484 times)

mrp116

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
New DLX and new to pellets
« on: March 06, 2018, 09:55:05 PM »

Hello,

I am supposed to be taking delivery of a CC DLX on Thursday, 3/8.  I have been smoking on a WSM for over a dozen years, and I have done hundreds of cooks of ribs, butts, brisket, etc...  I am not getting rid of the WSM, but I am looking for something a little different, a bit more versatile, and possibly a little easier to get going.  I also own a Weber Performer that I will be keeping.  Other than the lighter smoke profile than the WSM (did purchase LumberJack 100% hickory pellets to try and offset that), what are the biggest differences between the two that I should expect?  It seems like I am going to have to get used to seeing, accepting, and not freaking out about wider and more frequent temp. swings.  (If you've never cooked on a WSM they are rock solid for long periods of time and a 20 - 25 degree increase or decrease does not happen very often and takes a relative long time to occur.)  I am very excited about this new addition and have already spent more than a few hours digesting this site's content and learning as much as I can about pellet cooking.

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
Re: New DLX and new to pellets
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 10:21:58 PM »

I’ll be interested to read your feedback regarding taste profile comparison

Flboy76

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 02:58:15 PM »

welcome to the site and congrats on your DLX have mine going on 3yrs +. Agree on the light smoke flavor with pellets, I use mainly 100% cherry or pecan. I have had BBQ from stick burners where they would use hunks of oak, hickory wood and the smoke was so overbearing you would not taste the meat, just get a mouth full of smoke flavor. When you slow smoke on the DLX you will see a smoke ring and you will know that you have some smoke flavor in the meat. Good luck and post a lot of pic on that new DLX.
Floyd Camp Chef DLX Webber Kettle

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 04:21:07 PM »

Welcome to PH and welcome to the addiction! Congrats on your new DLX :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up