Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adjusting the heat shield  (Read 1110 times)

Jon515

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Adjusting the heat shield
« on: March 05, 2018, 04:16:55 PM »

I saw a picture somewhere I can't recall where the GMG owner had drilled a hole through the pit & heat shield and ran a bolt through so they could adjust without taking everything down.  Has anyone here done that or have a "how to”article they could share?

Thanks,
Jon

reubenray

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Bella Vista, Arkansas
Re: Adjusting the heat shield
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 05:28:48 PM »

I have the first edition of the SS heat shield.  I had to cut a bigger notch in it.  I have been centering it from the sides which is about 1 3/8" from the right side.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

Clonesmoker

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
Re: Adjusting the heat shield
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 05:49:13 PM »

Someone said they attached a 1/4" stainless steel rod to the heat deflector so they could adjust the heat deflector from outside the smoker. First you would need to drill a 1/4" hole through the outside of the smoker (use some high temp grill paint to prevent rusting), next to the grease drain and through the heat deflector. I remember seeing pictures of it at one time. I would use an all thread rod, put an nut on the inside and outside of the head shield to secure the heat deflector and put a wing nut on the all thread that is sticking out of the smoker. Probably would need to ensure it doesn't affect the folding tray on the side if it is a DB. I've actually thought about doing this, but the new heat shield I got has pretty much stabled my temps from side to side. Here is a pic of the old and new heat shield.
Pages: [1]   Go Up