Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: New Memphis Pro Owner  (Read 4453 times)

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
New Memphis Pro Owner
« on: February 20, 2018, 08:06:47 AM »

My Memphis Pro 304 was delivered last Thursday.  My dealer delivered the grill already assembled.  This included removing the film on the grill!  There were a few “residue dots” (not sure what to call them) from the film that I had to wipe down.  Also, there were a few stray pieces that were stuck in crevices ect so I felt some of the pain most new owners go through.
     My initial impression was this grill has amazing finish quality.  I have previously owned/used a Louisiana Grill CS540 and a Cookshack PG500 for reference.  The Memphis Grill looks/feels like it is in a different league than these other grills.  No sharp edges on the grill and just looks really well put together. 
A have had good a few meals in it since recieving (though it has been almost non stop rain in Texas since Saturday night so I have not had a chance for any long smoking sessions).  Below are my initial impressions:

The Controller:
    The controller has a nice large read out that is easy to see.  The interface is very intuitive and controlls seem really easy.  WIFI set up worked on the first try.  I have used WIFI on every cook and so far have not had any troubles with disconnects or the grill not finding the WIFI.  My grill came with Grill Firmware 2.8.6 and WIFI Firmware 1.94.  Does anyone know if this is the latest firmware?
     The WIFI app is pretty basic.  Can only set temperatures, probe targets, and turn on/off the grill.  Would be great if it had more options (like my Fireboard).  That being said, it is very convenient to be able to change temperatures and monitor the temperature without having to hook up external gadgets (like the Fireboard).  The recipes in the app are very limited.  Would be great if you could add your own recipes to the app.
Cooks:
      My first cook was steak.  I tried the open flame plate option.  I tried to follow the instructions that were in the manual.  I heated the grill to 500F with the indirect plate in and then switched to the open flame plate and left the hood open.  I used OF2 and did not get much heat/sear on the steak.  It seems like I would get better results using the indirect plate at 650F?  I ended up switching the indirect plate into the grill, lowering the temperature to 500F and finishing it with the hood close.  The steaks came out great.  For other owners out there, do you keep the hood open when using the open flame plate?  Can the open flame plate be used at a temperature (not OF setting) with the hood closed?  Do you take the temperature past 500F before going into OF mode?
    Next I cooked some hamburgers and hotdogs at 450F.  They came out great.  Burgers were really juicy and I was really happy with the results.
    Next cook was chicken drums and wings.  I put EVOO on the chicken and then put some chicken rub on the chicken.  I smoked at 180F for 90 minutes.  The grill put out a lot of smoke.  I am not sure why some people say the Memphis does not smoke.  I took a video of the smoke output and it is on youtube if anyone is interested https://youtu.be/KthmA9hIMmw .  I then turned the heat up to 400 for 15ish minutes to finish off the chicken and get the skin crispy.  The results were fantastic.  My chicken definitely had smoke flavor and tasted great (and was juicy).  The family loved it.  During the cook, the temperature hardly fluctuated more than +/- 2 degrees according to the grill.  Also neat how the fan turns on and off in smoke mode.  Non of my previous pellet grills did this.  It almost sounds like your grill has turned off when the fan stops running.
   The weather forecast is saying rain here until Sunday.  If that holds, I plan to do some low and slow on Sunday (either beef plate ribs or a brisket or both).  If that plan holds, I will update with that cook.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:08:25 AM by MadFoodScientist »
------------ Memphis Pro 304 Louisiana Grill CS540 Big Steel Keg

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: New Memphis Pro Owner
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 08:12:34 AM »

Congrats, and looking forward to seeing more of your cooks.  How do you like the interior of the side shelves?

If you haven't tried it yet, I like to buy aluminum cake pans at Walmart that fit in the grease/ash drawers.  I just take them and throw them out to minimize effort in clean up of the drawers.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:12:57 AM »

I do have a few issues that I think are mostly related to how the dealer assembled the grill.  My dealer is sending over a tech this afternoon to see if they can fix these issues.  Let me know if anyone else has experienced them.

1.The hood of the grill is misaligned (shown in the picture).  The right side of the hood is over the right edge when shut and the left side of the hood does not reach the edge when shot.  There was a lot of smoke coming out of the left side when cooking since the hood did not go all the way to the edge. Not sure if this can be fixed by adjusting the screws that hold in the hood.  Looks like they were not tightened evenly?
     2.  The power cord storage hook is lose and the screws that hold it in are not catching.  They keep falling out.
      3. There are two extra cords that are hanging down from the controller area (that are not the power cord) which should not be there (circled in the attached picture).  I assume those can be tucked into the grill?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 08:19:07 AM by MadFoodScientist »

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 08:15:59 AM »

Congrats, and looking forward to seeing more of your cooks.  How do you like the interior of the side shelves?

Thanks Bar-B-Lew!  The interior of the side shelfs are good so far.  I like having the one on the right to store the direct flame plate or the indirect plate in.  It is a convenient spot to place it when they are hot.  I also store the multi tool in there when not in use.  The one on the left has much less space.  So far I am using it to store the temp probe.  I think it will be handy when cooking ribs or turkey for holding sauce/melted butter/etc.  Overall, I think they are nice to have but are not a necessity. 

rwalters

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 08:25:25 AM »

Congrats!!!  Looks like you are off to a great start and quickly figuring things out. Hoping you get the couple of wrinkles ironed out with the tech visit :)

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 08:31:16 AM »

I am shocked you couldn’t get a sear in open flame mode.

Thanks Gtsum2.  I agree on the open flame mode.  My grill has no problem with getting hot (and doing it quickly).  I believe it was a user error.  I plan to try again as soon as it stops raining here! 

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 09:52:50 AM »

Some answers:
 Direct flame insert - you may use it with the hood closed. Just don't go away and leave it..You can check the pit temp by selecting your max temp setting if not comfortable cooking like that.
  Hood shifted to the right. Call greg @ Memphis. He will send you a youtube video on hood alignment. It is a simple fix:Just requires a grab and shove to the left operation.
 Cord cleat attaching screws. They are self taping and may have been over torqued resulting in stripped threads or an enlarged hole. The fix either /or new screws or nuts added.. I would mention to Greg." Memphis " is exceptionally cooperative!
  Dangling cord.Proper placement should be displayed in your owners manual.

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 10:49:03 AM »

Thanks John.  Glad to hear confirmation that all the issues are resolvable.  I contacted Memphis Grills over the weekend but have not heard back from them yet.  I decided to get my dealer involved as well since they assembled the grill.  Do you happen to have that youtube link for aligning the hood?

ZCZ

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 12:27:22 PM »

Probably issues the dealer should handle.  Especially since he is close.

Welcome to the team!  Keep those cook pix coming!

Z
2013 Memphis Pro
24th in Ribs at the 2015 American Royal
Titus 3:3-7

Canadian John

• HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2018, 02:33:41 PM »

Thanks John.  Glad to hear confirmation that all the issues are resolvable.  I contacted Memphis Grills over the weekend but have not heard back from them yet.  I decided to get my dealer involved as well since they assembled the grill.  Do you happen to have that youtube link for aligning the hood?
Sorry, I don't have the link. Memphis will get it to you for sure..They are good at getting back to you..They return calls on an as received basis. They don't work weekends so expect a call soon.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2018, 02:37:45 PM »

Welcome to the Show!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

MadFoodScientist

• Using less gas.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 01:17:33 PM »

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!  Update on my grill- the dealer came out and looked at it.  They tried to adjust the hood and move it over.  The said it looks like the hood is warped.  They also tried to bang it back with a hammer but were not able.  They are going to order a new hood and install it when it comes in.   Additionally, the said the wire harness was the wrong hardware and they are going to get the right hardware ordered.  Hopefully they will get it all figured out.  Disappointing to receive a grill with issues but hopefully these can all be fixed.

rwalters

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 01:32:44 PM »

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone!  Update on my grill- the dealer came out and looked at it.  They tried to adjust the hood and move it over.  The said it looks like the hood is warped.  They also tried to bang it back with a hammer but were not able.  They are going to order a new hood and install it when it comes in.   Additionally, the said the wire harness was the wrong hardware and they are going to get the right hardware ordered.  Hopefully they will get it all figured out.  Disappointing to receive a grill with issues but hopefully these can all be fixed.
Bummer, but this is where local dealer support sure does make a local purchase worth it vs buying online.

old smoker

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 02:26:12 PM »

welcome keep us posted on how everything works out for you going forward
Jim

GatorDave

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »

Bummer, but this is where local dealer support sure does make a local purchase worth it vs buying online.

It makes me wonder if that grill was a return.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up