Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New Woodwind owner. Are these temp swings normal?  (Read 16582 times)

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
Re: New Woodwind owner. Are these temp swings normal?
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2018, 10:22:03 PM »

maybe there is a burr on the auger as I had that issue on my Traeger a few years back.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2018, 10:44:47 PM »

The only thing that makes sense to me is that your auger may be binding on something. It cools off when the auger binds, and then the temps shoot up when the auger releases. Do you hear it squeal or grind when it runs?

I occasionally hear the auger jump and assume that occurs when a pellet gets caught between the opening and the edge of auger, until the auger bites through it with a bit of a jump. I don’t hear any traditional motor noises that tell me it is hanging or grinding.

To me it is consistently (1) feeding too little to react quick enough to falling temps, and (2) feeding too much even as temps are obviously rising. It’s like the logic is reversed, but i’ve swapped controllers.

It does produce a lot of smoke each time the temps drop past the set point. Perhaps it isn’t feeding too little, it may be feeding too much each way? And that is why it smokes so much? I don’t know.

I will try opening up the chimney cap but am not optimistic given it seems to breathe just fine as the temps spike.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2018, 11:03:27 PM »

The puppies are supposed to go to their new homes around the 14th.  Let me see what happens and I will be back to you!

Bentley - when are you folks going to be here? That would be very nice of you. Who knows - there may be something obvious to you that i’m just not picking up on since this is my first pellet grill.
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

bregent

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2018, 04:08:40 AM »

You didn't happen to put a gasket around the door, did you?

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2018, 08:55:32 AM »

Nope, no gasket. No modifications. Bone stock.

Just opened the chimney cap to max (was 0.75”, now 1.25”) and we shall see what she does.

pdf256

• Using less gas.
  • San Juan Capistrano, CA, USA
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2018, 01:00:12 PM »

I picked up a Woodwind last August and have used it two or three times a week since then.  I don't see the types of swings that you are seeing.  That being said I am in south Orange County and a very cold day for us is 50'.  I cooked a small brisket last afternoon in a light rain and had zero temp issues.  The only time I see the temp drop is when I need to open the lid to move something in or out of the pit.  With the lid open for 15 seconds the temp might drop 30 or 40'.

Best of luck, for me this has been a great pit.

Paul Francis Camp Chef Woodwind with sear box Traeger Jr Elite Unni Pizza Oven (got it!)

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2018, 01:16:16 PM »

Spent all morning doing testing, time that I really need to be giving to needed chores and not watching every cycle of this thing.  >:(

At this point I have run it with the chimney cap in 4 different positions:

• 3/4" (where it was set from manufacturer and between the recommended 1/2" and 1")
  • 1.25" (close to max)
  • removed
  • 3/8"

First I want to mention that the internal fan appears to be blowing constantly (it may vary, not sure) which I believe it is supposed to do. This produces positive pressure inside the unit such that any smoke and heat are exhausting out the chimney, door and grease trap. I only mention this since there seems to be a lot of focus on the chimney and I wanted to clarify it isn't the only source of exhaust. I don't care about escaping smoke myself, my opinion being there must be plenty inside for it to escaping.

Regardless, I collected each low and high point for 6 temp swings after giving the unit a couple runs to 'stabilize'  :-X  between chimney height changes. I've reviewed the data and it is still consistently exhibiting temp swings well outside of the manufacture specs and what most others seem to post who have actually watched theirs. Chimney changes had negligible effect.

Low side averages 24 degrees below the set 225 temp. It was only within 15 degrees 25% of the time.

High side averages 50 degrees over the set 225 temp. It was never within 15 degrees, only once within 25.

Kristin Meredith

• Administrator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2018, 01:37:29 PM »

It sounds as if it would be best for you to simply return it and advise them it is not working as it should.

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2018, 02:48:23 PM »

This is not exactly the answer but may help.... The swings are acting just like the Traeger 180º controller with low "P" settings. That is, when the set temp is reached, the controller goes into smoke mode. If the "P" setting # is set low there will be a longer pause time allowing the fire to die down too much. Then it overcompensates pellet delivery. Thus causing the problem you describe.  If this is the case, higher temperatures should be more stable..If 350º temps are fairly stable after the pit is heat soaked (operating @ 350º for a good 20 minutes) then the problem appears to be the controller..Non pid controllers tend to swing more at lower (<300º) temperatures. 

Canadian John

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • HAPPY COOKING, Canadian John
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »

If you find the higher temps to be acceptable, using the smoke settings rather than 220º should work as I believe them to be a timed cycle rather than temperature controlled...If it is cold (ambient) you may have to use the lower temp settings as the fixed timing won't deliver enough pellets to compensate for heat loss and the cold combustion air.

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2018, 03:15:41 PM »

I'm worried about the idea of returning it. There was quite a bit of packaging and I initially set it aside, but then we had a major wind storm which blew some of it around the yard so I had the trashman take it away the next week. So I don't have the boxes.

I'll call them Monday and see what they have to say. I'm open to other solutions they can offer. I think I would be very happy with the unit if I could just get it stable, but not at the expense of buying aftermarket controllers and augers and such when i just plunked down the cash for a new unit that should work right.

I need Grill God to help out

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »

I believe that the combustion fan is constant, do not think it varies.  But I do not believe that would be the issue anyway.  You are confidant that you have heat diffusers and greasy tray in the unit properly?

Hopefully will be able to come down and see you and the unit just for my own curiosity!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2018, 03:26:48 PM »

I believe that the combustion fan is constant, do not think it varies.  But I do not believe that would be the issue anyway.  You are confidant that you have heat diffusers and greasy tray in the unit properly?

Hopefully will be able to come down and see you and the unit just for my own curiosity!

Yes. I just double-checked with the instructions to make sure I had it right.

glitchy

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2018, 05:14:14 PM »

I think Canadian John gave a good next suggestion if you are going to keep trying things. I’ve looked a couple times for info on the controller to figure out if it uses times on low settings and don’t see the adjustment on the face to adjust it if it does. Try setting to 300 or 350 and see if it stays close then. Then you at least have next steps. If it works as expected there you might need to insulate when cooler or get details on adjusting the timings from support. If it doesn’t work, it’s just more info to give support.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

wahoowad

• Using less gas.
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »

I’m not sure what to do with Canadian John’s input. Smoking at 350 isn’t an option - I bought this thing for low and slow. I did try 250 and 275 previously and it still cycled poorly.

The chamber actually runs about 20 degrees higher than the unit temp probe according to my Maverick. The unit probe is off to the side and I believe it is cooler. Which means if I tried 250 or275 settings it would probably be running 275 or 300. So i’m Trying to be happy with the 225 setting as it actually means smoking around 250.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up