Pages:
Actions
  • #46 by glitchy on 11 Mar 2018
  • I’m not sure what to do with Canadian John’s input. Smoking at 350 isn’t an option - I bought this thing for low and slow. I did try 250 and 275 previously and it still cycled poorly.

The chamber actually runs about 20 degrees higher than the unit temp probe according to my Maverick. The unit probe is off to the side and I believe it is cooler. Which means if I tried 250 or275 settings it would probably be running 275 or 300. So i’m Trying to be happy with the 225 setting as it actually means smoking around 250.

I wasn’t suggesting you try it for smoking, I was just adding you could follow the idea just for a test. Though you could throw some taters on there to make it a less wasteful test. You sounded like your somewhat committed to making the unit work, so trying to toss ideas at you for ways to test and gather data to hopefully make the problem expose itself.

However, if sschorr’s experience is with the same controller, timing shouldn’t be a factor. You could try laying a welding blanket over it to see if it’s just heat loss from cooler temps. I’ve run an insulation kit on all my smokers from November to April where I live. But not sure if camp chef makes one and you or a buddy may already have a welding blanket around. Again though, if 225 is not supposed to be timed, it shouldn’t matter.  Just an alternate test if you’ve only tried low settings so far.
  • #47 by bregent on 12 Mar 2018
  • I had a similar problem with my DLX, only worse. I had severe swings sometimes over 100F higher than setpoint. I was never able to get  through an overnight cook without a flameout. CC was very accommodating and send replacement parts and pellets but none of it resolved the issue. In the end after a few months they were nice enough to work with online seller and arrange for a return. I never was able to figure out for sure what the problem was but when I was disassembling it for return I noticed what look like a crack in the air channel. And of all of the replacement parts they sent, they did not include the main blower fan. So one possibility was an airflow problem caused by either a leak or weak fan. Months after returning it some other members on PH mentioned they had the same problem after installing a door gasket - and after they removed the gasket the grill functioned well again. I had installed a gasket, but no longer had the grill to test that theory.  There have been a few others reporting similar problems with no gasket installed. Still plenty of more folks that have zero problems either with or without.

The problem you are having is almost certainly not the controller or RTD. Unless things have changed drastically, CC uses a very simple controller algorithm that controls only the auger duty cycle. Below set point the auger has one fixed duty cycle with a longer 'on' time , and above set point it has a duty cycle with a shorter 'on' time. That's it. When CC sent me the replacement controller and RTD I already knew it wasn't going to fix my problem because the probe was reading correctly compared to a 3rd party therm, and I had already verified the duty cycle was correct based on other members data.

So if it's not the electronics, what does that leave? It's gotta be an airflow problem. Maybe the fan is under powered which causes problems if there is a small leak, or if there is more back pressure than expected (gasket??).  There's something out of whack, and the controller is not sophisticated enough to deal with it. 

So, I think what I would try is prop the door open slightly and see if that changes anything.

Also, regarding 'Smoke' modes, IIRC, those are timed cycle modes only - that is, they have a fixed duty cycle that does use the RTD as input.

• #48 by Rolngthun on 14 Mar 2018
  •  If you stick with contacting CC, they will send you an all new hopper assembly.
  • #49 by wahoowad on 17 Mar 2018
  • Camp Chef sent me a new hopper and I installed it today. This was after already trying a controller the prior week. Looked like it may have been salvaged off another unit as i saw some minor rust and scratches, but was not egregious so was ok replacing mine with it.

This is hard to understand but my Woodwind is still exhibiting large temp swings.

237/276 (-13, +26)
       240268 (-10, +18)
       204/287 (-46, +37)
       224/285 (-26, +35)
       199/285 (-51, +35)
            205/278 (-45, +28)
       213/284 (-37, +34)

I have seen at least one other recent new buyer posting about similar swings. I can only conclude something is off between the controller and auger in terms of rate of delivery. Maybe they have a bad run of parts, firmware, i don’t know. I give up. Too many hours testing ideas and troubleshooting, too many different bags of new pellets, and too many weeks going by waiting for my purchase to work.
  • #50 by rwalters on 17 Mar 2018
  • Man, that stinks! So, what now?
  • #51 by Canadian John on 18 Mar 2018
  • My thoughts:
      1/ I would try a heat sink. Fire bricks work well. Four to six should do the thick.. If It helps enough to be acceptable and something you can live with, great. The downside - cost, slower to heat up and cool down and removal for cleaning..This helped some of us  Traeger users in their earlier stages of controller problems..

2/ Orteck, TR-100 controller. ~ $60.00..It a fine controller with "smoke settings" so the "P" or pause time is adjustable at all temperatures except high, where the auger is on 100% of the time. In "smoke" the "P" setting controls the temperature. That will work well in warm temperatures to obtain a max of about 200º +..With a temperature selected, once the temperature is reached, the controller goes into smoke mode until the temperature drops to 3º bellow the set temperature..If the "P" setting is set so as there is a long pause, the fir dies down more than it should resulting in the controller overreacting by adding more pellets to the pot than necessary. Thus the big swings..Things even out at higher temperatures..

IF you go this route, DO NOT CUT WIRES. Make up adaptive harnesses so things can be changed back. IE warranty..Cobbled up connections are an open invitation for problems..

The Ortec controller manual is on line if you care to have a look..

Has anyone out there installed a TR-100 controller in their Woodwind???

Then there is the option of return and starting over.. All the best in your endeavours.

• #52 by glitchy on 18 Mar 2018
  • Do they have a dealer or a regional rep in your area? Maybe the company could get them to come take a look since it’s a difficult problem. Guessing you don’t since you ordered direct, but worth asking about. If there does happen to be a dealer anywhere close, maybe you could work with company and dealer to return it that way somehow. Not saying any of this is possible, but it never hurts to ask, right? If you agree to try anything else, ask for some pellets too for all you’ve burned just trying to test fixes that haven’t worked. Worst they can say is no.
  • #53 by Bentley on 18 Mar 2018
  • Let me know when there is a good time to come down and I will come look at it with you if you still want to do that!
  • #54 by wahoowad on 18 Mar 2018
  • What is your availability? I'm appreciative of your offer but would hate to waste your time too.

I swear, I'm near the end of my rope and questioning every additional minute I'm putting into working around their stability issues. I'm contemplating running out to get yet a 4th or 5th bag of pellets, but will feel like more of a fool if I do that and find it is still running off.
  • #55 by wahoowad on 18 Mar 2018
  • Do you have any Lumberjack pellets? All the Facebook people are saying Camp Chef and Pit Boss pellets give them swings too. I'm skeptical but would love it if I was proved wrong.
  • #56 by Canadian John on 18 Mar 2018

• I wouldn't weigh too heavily on pellets being responsible for your swings.
  • #57 by wahoowad on 18 Mar 2018
  • I don’t, but it’s the only variable I have yet to fully test. I’ve tried 4 chimney heights, 3 controllers, 2 temp probes and 2 auger/fans and 2 types of pellets. The easiest AND LAST thing I am going to try are Lumberjack pellets as the Camp Chef Facebook folks seem to indicate they too struggled with both Pit Boss and Camp Chef Competition blend pellets and several found peace with Lumberjack.

I may feel like a fool after buying yet another bag of pellets and this thing still cycling low/high, but it’s about all I have left to try. I do like to fix things but can feel myself approaching that point when it’s time to move on with other things in life that do work.
  • #58 by Bentley on 18 Mar 2018
  • I am with CJ on the pellets...

I am available at any time.  I do not have any lumberjack, I have some smoke ring, or some hardwood heating pellets I can bring if you like.  What I need to do is find out if I can run the Tappecue with a Ethernet connection and run that for 30 minutes to see where we really are...Let me know!
  • #59 by wahoowad on 18 Mar 2018
  • Too bad we couldn’t hook up today. That said, i’m Slicing into a brisket in about an hour...  :rotf:

So I’m home most days after 5, and we have some daylight now if you were inclined to do that. Otherwise don’t have a lot going on at the weekends either so a Saturday or a Sunday coming up would work. I have wifi and the router is by the door where the grill is if we needed to run a Ethernet drop.
  • #60 by Bentley on 18 Mar 2018
  • I will probably shoot for next Sat or Sun if you have a preference.  The Tappecue would need to be configured for your WiFi, so if they write me back and say I can just run it from my computer to the Tappecue with the Ethernet cable and get the graph will just do that so I don't need to run the set up for your internet!

Will send you a PM Friday, unless you know day and time right now, and then I will just come then!
Pages:
Actions