Pages:
Actions
  • #61 by bregent on 19 Mar 2018
  • I was able to dig up my old PH posts on this subject. Why it happens to some folks and not others is certainly perplexing.

At the time that I owned the DLX (2015), the controller algorithm was simply:

Auger when grill temp below setpoint
    On 10 seconds
    Off 10 seconds

Auger when grill temp above setpoint
    On 6 seconds
    Off 40 seconds

The auger speed was one rev every 36 seconds.
    These were verified by other owners, and did not change after receiving replacement parts.

You can check these parameters and if they are the same, the problem has nothing to do with pellet delivery. Only thing left I can imagine is airflow.

• #62 by Bentley on 19 Mar 2018
  • Would not hurt to put a black magic marker mark on the top of the spiral and see how long it takes to rotate.  Could at least start eliminating things.
  • #63 by Conumdrum on 19 Mar 2018
  • Can you send it back and get a new one?  Sometimes that fixes the problem.

I'm serious.  The customer should not have to deal with a flaw like this and he/she has been very up front with the company to fix the problem.  Like a lemon law.
  • #64 by CaptJerry on 23 Mar 2018
  • Might check that a feed gasket was installed at factory.
  • #65 by Canadian John on 07 Apr 2018

•  Is there an update to this story?
  • #66 by wahoowad on 07 Apr 2018
  • Sadly I have been too busy to smoke anything else to monitor the temp over time. I have tested it so much and tried so many fixes that avoiding it has meant one less stressful thing in my life right now. It should represent a good thing but it isn't that for me.

I no longer believe anything is mechanically or electrically wrong with the unit. I say that as I have replaced all the working pieces with new parts sent by Camp Chef. This is simply how it performs. It's possible they have reprogrammed or misprogrammed something such that current units are working differently than prior units that have good reviews. Looking back I now realize almost all the reviews I found were about the features and did not actually show the unit operation sustained over a typical smoke duration. Most folks grilled a steak or something.
  • #67 by okie smokie on 07 Apr 2018
  •  Sorry for your trouble.  Hope Bentley can help you figure it out soon.  He has seen them all and tested most of them. Good luck.
  • #68 by wahoowad on 15 Apr 2018
  • Today I finally ran some temp trials using Lumberjack pellets. It was not very scientific since today was 30 to 40 degrees warmer than prior testing but I did have better temperature regulation with the Lumberjack Cherry pellets.

Today I ran at 275 and averaged -20 on the low side and +25 on the high side so ranging around 255 to 300. I grudgingly can live with these given the hassles of returning it via shipping although still think the unit isn't capable of the manufacturer's advertised ratings. At peaks it ranged from 250 to 311, and there also was dense smoke produced each temp swing, denser than I like.

I grilled on High with it the other day too using Camp Chef's own Competition pellets and it smoked a lot the entire time which seemed unexpected and was undesired while grilling.

Overall I am dissatisfied with the purchase given the tremendous efforts put into trying to figure it out. Camp Chef was responsive with parts but not sure they every resolved anything. In truth I would accept a complete refund and be done with it but not sure how that would work out given I ordered it online from them and shipping it back sounds like a nightmare. It has soured me on the whole idea of pellet smoking which was a big concern as I ventured into it coming from years of being satisfied with a WSM and getting good flavor from wood chunks and charcoal. I know you guys are pellet fans and I'm not calling you out for liking it, just relating my journey and the sour taste it has left in me.  I am passionate about barbecue and enjoy everything about the industry but just wish this learning experience could have ended differently and without the pricetag attached.
  • #69 by Bentley on 15 Apr 2018
  • Don't feel bad about the comments, pellets are not for everyone!
  • #70 by wahoowad on 15 Apr 2018
  • I guess I shouldn't say soured me on the whole idea as I can see the value and benefit and certainly lots of others having wonderful experiences. I may have to consider going back to my research list and giving unit #2 another thought about buying sometime in the future. Everybody here has been great  ;D
  • #71 by glitchy on 15 Apr 2018
  • I guess I shouldn't say soured me on the whole idea as I can see the value and benefit and certainly lots of others having wonderful experiences. I may have to consider going back to my research list and giving unit #2 another thought about buying sometime in the future. Everybody here has been great  ;D

Maybe before you try another grill, try a third party controller. Your swings today match what I usually saw with my Traeger being a timing based controller. Others can probably give some advice on the best choices to look at.
  • #72 by Bentley on 15 Apr 2018
  • That is a good idea, you may want to look up Savannah Stoker, see if Billy can tell you if it is compatible.  I guess the main concern would be, if it is not a controller issue.
  • #73 by rdsbucks on 16 Apr 2018
  • Today I finally ran some temp trials using Lumberjack pellets. It was not very scientific since today was 30 to 40 degrees warmer than prior testing but I did have better temperature regulation with the Lumberjack Cherry pellets.

Today I ran at 275 and averaged -20 on the low side and +25 on the high side so ranging around 255 to 300. I grudgingly can live with these given the hassles of returning it via shipping although still think the unit isn't capable of the manufacturer's advertised ratings. At peaks it ranged from 250 to 311, and there also was dense smoke produced each temp swing, denser than I like.

I grilled on High with it the other day too using Camp Chef's own Competition pellets and it smoked a lot the entire time which seemed unexpected and was undesired while grilling.

Overall I am dissatisfied with the purchase given the tremendous efforts put into trying to figure it out. Camp Chef was responsive with parts but not sure they every resolved anything. In truth I would accept a complete refund and be done with it but not sure how that would work out given I ordered it online from them and shipping it back sounds like a nightmare. It has soured me on the whole idea of pellet smoking which was a big concern as I ventured into it coming from years of being satisfied with a WSM and getting good flavor from wood chunks and charcoal. I know you guys are pellet fans and I'm not calling you out for liking it, just relating my journey and the sour taste it has left in me.  I am passionate about barbecue and enjoy everything about the industry but just wish this learning experience could have ended differently and without the pricetag attached.

I have enjoyed having multiple means of smoking so I suggest you keep your pellet smoker and add something affordable like a cabinet smoker or like I have, a Pit Barrel Cooker. I like having both and using both. The ease of use of a pellet smoker is hard to beat. Its a quick easy was to throw smoke on something like wings or a steak you want to reverse sear. It's also great for baked things. But then I use the PBC for butts, ribs, and brisket. And if I have a very large smoke I have extra capacity with both.
  • #74 by wahoowad on 28 Apr 2018
  • How do I contact this Billy at Savannah Stoker? The website didn't have an email address.

I'm resigned to keeping this Woodwind because of the challenges of returning it but get frustrated with each cook. Today I have it set to 250 and just watched it go from 211 to 296. My last call with Camp Chef support had them acknowledging swings of +/- 30 was normal to them and they don't understand why their documentation says +/- 15. The cycle appears to over-reach at both ends of the spectrum and produces short periods of heavy acrid smoke. I have done some shopping/research for a different unit to buy and none of them seem to exhibit the extreme swings this Woodwind produces. I'm still convinced it is poor design, nothing defective given all I have replaced.

Lumberjack Cherry pellets work the best, still giving average of +/- 25 swings. Cherry burns cooler than oak, hickory and blends so that much be why it works best in this unit that struggles with temp regulation. Today I'm trying the Lumberjack Comp Blend with maple/hickory/cherry and the hickory component must be kicking in and giving me the significantly higher temps than I saw with the basic cherry mix. Good thing I like cherry and I'll have to use it for sustained smokes and use the Comp blend stuff for high grilling.
  • #75 by Bentley on 28 Apr 2018
  • I think you can contact them on Facebook, this is a phone number from their Facebook page (252) 746-3367...About all I know, or send him a PM from this site.  Member is BMerrill...
Pages:
Actions