Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 10"or 12" slicing knife  (Read 4501 times)

Greg1

• Using less gas.
10"or 12" slicing knife
« on: March 30, 2018, 07:47:08 AM »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality 10" or 12" slicing knife.  My budget won't allow for the high end knifes.  I understand you get what you pay for, but I am seeing if anyone has and recommendations for a solid knife in the $25-$30 dollar range.  Guessing it's a long shot but thought it was worth a shot.  Appreciate any and all responses.
Louisiana LG900 Traeger Texas Elite 34 Big Horn SRPG 1093

smokindad

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
Re: 10"or 12" slicing knife
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:19:06 AM »

I have been very pleased with my Victorinox Cutlery 12-Inch Slicing Knife, Black Fibrox Handle.  Mostly use it on brisket and rib roasts.  Has stayed very sharp only with simple honing.  Check out Amazon the price is about $40.

leppolite

• Using less gas.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:20:28 AM »

I recently purchased this one on the big A...its sort of multipurpose but its sharp, slices well and only $14.

Dexter-Russell Basics P94804B 10" Scalloped Slicer/Bread Knife with Black Polypropylene Handle
Rec Tec RT-680
Akorn Kamado
Pit Boss Copperhead 5

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 11:01:17 AM »

I have been very pleased with my Victorinox Cutlery 12-Inch Slicing Knife, Black Fibrox Handle.  Mostly use it on brisket and rib roasts.  Has stayed very sharp only with simple honing.  Check out Amazon the price is about $40.

+1
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 11:05:30 AM »

If you have access to the Restaurant Depot, you could find one there.  I think they sell Dexter.  I have a few Dexter knives and they work fine for me.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Darwin

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Phoenix, AZ
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 10:38:18 PM »

Good advice given above.  The big box membership stores might have a limited selection.

verapx

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2018, 11:14:54 PM »

Mercer Culinary M23011 Millennia 11" Granton Edge Slicer Knife
That’s what I use.

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2018, 06:19:02 AM »

If you have access to the Restaurant Depot, you could find one there.  I think they sell Dexter.  I have a few Dexter knives and they work fine for me.

How does Dexter compare to Victorinix?  I will be going to KnifeWorks in Tennessee in a few days to look for a knife for slicing.  I have two of the Victorinix knifes with the granton edge.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

reubenray

• Bella Vista, Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2018, 06:20:57 AM »

How does Dexter or Mercer compare to Victorinix?  I will be going to KnifeWorks in Tennessee in a few days to look for a knife for slicing.  I have two of the Victorinix knifes with the granton edge.
Traeger Junior, Smokin Brothers PP36 and 17" Blackstone Griddle

cookingjnj

• Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2018, 11:24:01 AM »

Thanks for starting this thread Greg.  I am also looking for a slicing knife.  Right now I have been using a 8 inch all purpose type knife. 

glitchy

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2018, 11:50:30 AM »

Mercer Culinary M23011 Millennia 11" Granton Edge Slicer Knife
That’s what I use.

I just ordered this for $15 to try. If I like it and it doesn’t last I’ll order the Victorinox then. I have been using an electric and been happy that’s why I tried the cheaper first.
MAK 2* General (2021) | KBQ C-60 | Weber Summit Charcoal w/SnS LP, customized Big Joetisserie, Vortex, and Hunsaker Griddle | Weber Genesis II - S345 | Weber Traveler | Fireboard 2 Drive

verapx

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2018, 06:51:31 PM »

I bought a guard for mine and never put it in the sink with other dishes, it will take a slice out of your finger. I use a steel on mine and it's as sharp as the day I got it.

Osborn Cox

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 05:56:44 PM »

How does Dexter or Mercer compare to Victorinix?  I will be going to KnifeWorks in Tennessee in a few days to look for a knife for slicing.  I have two of the Victorinix knifes with the granton edge.

I have several Dexter knives and several Victorinox knives.    IMO they hold their edge about the same, and have been happy with both.  Dexter are a little more cost effective, Restaurant Depot has pretty good prices and selection on them.
Cookshack PG1000, GMG Jim Bowie Prime, Traeger Lil Tex(retired), Blackstone Griddle

Greg1

• Using less gas.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2018, 07:10:39 PM »

I ordered and received the Mercer Culinary M23011 slicing Knife.  I have only used it to slice and cube 8lbs of brisket point into burnt ends, but was very happy with how it performed.
Louisiana LG900 Traeger Texas Elite 34 Big Horn SRPG 1093

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 07:44:18 PM »

Glad you are happy with what you bought.  I am not big on spending big bucks on knives like I do on most other things.  I just keep buying $20 or so one's until I find what works for my needs.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up