Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Woody on 06 May 2018
  • This weekend I smoked an 18.5lb prime brisket for 15 hours and I learned a few things while doing this.  First, I do not have brisket figured out even though after making a great one last week my confidence was high. 

Second is that those warnings from some of you about cleaning out the Memphis before high temp cooks is important.  After the 15 hour low temp smoke I cranked it up to 450 and there was quite a bit of flame.  It probably would have just burned the grease off but I dont know that.  And there was only fire in the fire box and above, not in the grease pans, so I guess I don't know if this qualified as a grill fire.  I lowered the temp and shut it down and I'll scrape it out tomorrow.  There is quite a bit of grease built up on the deflector.

Third thing is that I think theres a chance that Lumberjack pellets leave quite a bit more ash that other brands I've tried.  I do not know this to be a fact but after 15 hours at 225 the firebox is about half full of ash and that seems to be more than others.  Regardless, I like the pellets and they are priced right.
  • #2 by TravlinMan on 07 May 2018
  • This weekend I smoked an 18.5lb prime brisket for 15 hours and I learned a few things while doing this.  First, I do not have brisket figured out even though after making a great one last week my confidence was high. 

Second is that those warnings from some of you about cleaning out the Memphis before high temp cooks is important.  After the 15 hour low temp smoke I cranked it up to 450 and there was quite a bit of flame.  It probably would have just burned the grease off but I dont know that.  And there was only fire in the fire box and above, not in the grease pans, so I guess I don't know if this qualified as a grill fire.  I lowered the temp and shut it down and I'll scrape it out tomorrow.  There is quite a bit of grease built up on the deflector.

Third thing is that I think theres a chance that Lumberjack pellets leave quite a bit more ash that other brands I've tried.  I do not know this to be a fact but after 15 hours at 225 the firebox is about half full of ash and that seems to be more than others.  Regardless, I like the pellets and they are priced right.

Yup, yup and yup..

1 - Not all briskets are created equal

2 - Still have to clean the Memphis - especially after a long smoke - a good scraping on heat deflector, remove deflector and scrape the sides down into the drip pans, clean or replace drip pans, reinstall heat deflector and grates, and then light it up for a 'burn off/clean cycle'.

3 - Noticed that as well with lumberjack - seems to create a little more ash, but still a very good pellet. A good vacuuming after a long cook - makes it all better and ready for another run.. :cool:

Still Believe the Memphis is one of the best pellet grill/smokers on the market today.  They just work, and do it well.

:2cents: .. :bbq:
  • #3 by Canadian John on 07 May 2018

•  +1.  I always scrape, wipe and vacuum after each cook. It's so easily done on the Memphis. I leave the flavorizer in place removing only the insert to do so...
  • #4 by Woody on 07 May 2018
  • Good advice fellas.  And you're right,...it is easy to scrape and clean these grills.  I've got to get it ready for the awesome smash burgers I've seen on this forum.  Tonight the Memphis will shine,...again!  And I'll continue using Lumberjack pellets, I like their 100% varieties.
  • #5 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 May 2018
  • Good advice fellas.  And you're right,...it is easy to scrape and clean these grills.  I've got to get it ready for the awesome smash burgers I've seen on this forum.  Tonight the Memphis will shine,...again!  And I'll continue using Lumberjack pellets, I like their 100% varieties.

Cookinpellets has a 100% cherry and 100% maple coming out soon in addition to their 100% hickory.
  • #6 by bregent on 07 May 2018
  • Lumberjack does not debark their logs, so their pellets do produce more ash. Not a big deal for me.
  • #7 by Bar-B-Lew on 07 May 2018
  • I did steaks last night after a butt on Saturday...forgot to scrape it off and did burn it off at 400 for a bit before the steak cook...but when I crank d temp up to reverse sear temp, it climbed and climbed and maxed out over 700 (rapidly)...had a raging grease fire on the deflector plate kind of like that pic Bentley showed....grill went into shut down mode:)

Memphis Elite
    Yoder YS640 - sold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have experienced that before  :-[
Pages:
Actions