Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Spartan Smoker on 28 Apr 2018
  • Bought two take and bakes from Costo.  Cooked them at 350 for 20 mins and then dropped to 220 for about 10 mins.  Not great smoke and crust ended up dry.   Any better cooking instructions out there? 

The pizza called for 400 for 15 mins but i thought that was dangerous in the smoker.  Maybe I should of just followed those directions? 
  • #2 by Ross77 on 29 Apr 2018
  • I cooked Papa Murphy's and they turned out pretty good. 

I have a reply in this post:

https://pelletfan.com/index.php?topic=1818.msg25392#msg25392

• #3 by Canadian John on 29 Apr 2018

•  I do my pizzas on a stone or steel at high temperatures: 600º to 650º. Doesn't take long depending on the thickness and toppings..When I had my Traeger Lil Tex, I would cook the pies @ Max heat (~ 400º) on a pre heated rectangular stone. If I recall

correctly, it took 20 minutes or a bit less. In either case they turned out well; the cheese melted and just started to brown in places, and the crust baked just enough so it wasn't dry and crispy.  It relates somewhat to cooking a steak. We have our preferences.
  • #4 by Bentley on 29 Apr 2018
  • Use your pit just like your oven and follow the directions that Costco says to cook with and I think you will be pleased with outcome!
  • #5 by ScottWood on 01 May 2018
  • Bought two take and bakes from Costo.  Cooked them at 350 for 20 mins and then dropped to 220 for about 10 mins.  Not great smoke and crust ended up dry.   Any better cooking instructions out there? 

The pizza called for 400 for 15 mins but i thought that was dangerous in the smoker.  Maybe I should of just followed those directions?

Dangerous in what way?  I cook Costco and Papa Murphy take a bakes all the time in my Traegers.  I use a pizza stone which I put in the pit before I fire it up.  Set it to the highest temp I can get and then cook the pizza until it looks the way I want it to.  Comes out great.
  • #6 by Spartan Smoker on 01 May 2018
  • Thanks for the replies.

My dangerous comment was that it would actually dry out real quick.  Like a convection oven.  I have admitted my amateur cooking status so i can admit using a convection oven one time and almost turning a turkey to dust... ha ha.  I read that the smoker works like a convection oven so i was afraid following the instructions exactly might over cook it and dry it out.

I will try it following them.  When you all do that do you use a smoker tube?  I wouldn't expect much of a smoke at that temp and for a short cook?

• #7 by bregent on 01 May 2018
  • >When you all do that do you use a smoker tube? 

If you want your pizza to taste like smoke. I tried a tube and me and my family did not like it. The wood fired flavor we get from a pellet grill is plenty for us.
  • #8 by ScottWood on 02 May 2018
  • >When you all do that do you use a smoker tube? 

If you want your pizza to taste like smoke. I tried a tube and me and my family did not like it. The wood fired flavor we get from a pellet grill is plenty for us.

Agreed, I am going for more of the wood fired flavor, not a smoked flavor.
  • #9 by Ross77 on 02 May 2018
  • I got a hint of smoke when I cooked the Papa Murphy’s. If you don’t use a stone I would recommend rotating so the crust doesn’t burn. I had a couple bad spots when I used the Papa Murphy’s trays.
  • #10 by ScottWood on 02 May 2018
  • I got a hint of smoke when I cooked the Papa Murphy’s. If you don’t use a stone I would recommend rotating so the crust doesn’t burn. I had a couple bad spots when I used the Papa Murphy’s trays.

Do you have a trick for getting the Papa Murphy pizzas off of that paper tray that they come on or do you put that straight onto the stone?  I have a devil of a time getting the pizza off of it unless I let it cook for a few minutes on the paper before sliding it onto the pizza stone.
  • #11 by Ross77 on 02 May 2018
  • I don’t. I cooked them without a stone. I’m sure you could put the pizza and the tray on the stone.
  • #12 by Spartan Smoker on 04 May 2018
  • The costcos had a perfect cardboard tray.  Worked perfect to slide on the grill grates and then scoop it up.  Of course, as posted, my crust was a little dry/crunchy so it didn't stick either. 
  • #13 by DaisyCutter on 04 May 2018

Do you have a trick for getting the Papa Murphy pizzas off of that paper tray that they come on or do you put that straight onto the stone?  I have a devil of a time getting the pizza off of it unless I let it cook for a few minutes on the paper before sliding it onto the pizza stone.

Buy pizza. Read instructions. Cook to instructions. I've never had a problem cooking papa murphy pizzas as they come. Don't over think things, it'll just get you frustrated.
  • #14 by ScottWood on 05 May 2018

I prefer my crust more on the crispy side and simply can't get that even with the paper tray on my pizza stone. I will have to ask them at Papa Murphy's to put some flour down the next time I get one.

Buy pizza. Read instructions. Cook to instructions. I've never had a problem cooking papa murphy pizzas as they come. Don't over think things, it'll just get you frustrated.
  • #15 by Saddleman on 11 May 2018
  • I use parchment paper, set my temperature high. I put pizza in for 10 min and pull paper out it crisps the bottom kid and the Wolverine like that way. :bbq: cook 10 min more and done.
Pages:
Actions