Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RT-700 - Delivery, Setup and Experiences  (Read 12551 times)

grilltreats

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: RT-700 - Delivery, Setup and Experiences
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2018, 04:26:04 PM »

Yes the LJ Mesquite pellets are strong. I use the mesquite mix and even that is too much for me.

You've made clear you're not a big mesquite fan in many post.  I went to a Texas themed steakhouse and fell in love with mesquite smoked steaks.  I have always grilled my steaks with mesquite ever since.  I think that flavor is best for beef.  However, I have no issues if other don't.  It's all in what you like when it comes to flavors.  I think oak is good too for beef.
Kamado Joe 18" with CyberQ Wi-Fi controller
REC TEC RT-700 with front shelf and sear kit since 6/1/18
Bullseye since 4/6/19

Ross77

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2018, 04:33:46 PM »

Correct. I’m not a fan of mesquite. But if someone is looking for strong smoke flavor, mesquite will do it.
Rec Tec RT-680 Char-Broil Patio Bistro  MES: Sold WSM: Sold

ArborAgent

• Digging the Pellet Smoke.
  • Hank Hill would be so disappointed in me.
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2018, 06:39:45 PM »

I don't know why, but even with mesquite, I just can't differentiate pellet smoke flavor. It all tastes great to me and doesn't taste different.
Rec Tec Bull Blaze Gas Grill Weber Master Touch

SurfAndTurf

• Using less gas.
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2018, 07:59:55 PM »

Love the mods, even when they don't always work. I'm a little bit McGuyver/redneck and I'm always trying something!

I too, was concerned about the 9 flights of stairs ;D

Not a fan of mesquite smoke either. We have mesquite trees and I don't even save the limbs for the firepit.

SurfAndTurf

P.S. Tri tip Tuesday :cool:
SurfAndTurf

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2018, 08:50:57 PM »

I opened my first bag of 100% mesquite pellets from Lumberjack yesterday on a 18lb packer cook.  Wow is all I can say about the smoke output of these pellets.  Far more than any others I have tried.  I even got a little worried about too much smoke.  The Rec Tec was cleaned prior to the cook, so no grease smoke existed.  These pellets produce clouds of smoke at 225°.  They even produce quite a bit of smoke up to 275° which is as far as I went with temps to finish the cook towards the end.

The brisket turned out great and had the nice mesquite flavored tones I was hoping for, but were not overpowering and my wife and I really liked the flavor.  The smoke ring was deep.  The flat was slightly dryer than I was hoping, but still moist.  The point was extremely moist.  Overall I am pleased with my first whole packer cook and these pellets.  I know I can mix these pellets with others I have if I want more smoke.

I don't believe any of this without pictures to prove it.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

grilltreats

« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2018, 11:05:08 PM »

The mesquite smoke has dissipated and the brisket bagged and frozen.  I should've snap a few pics, but was rushed to get it sliced up.

I guess this one wants to be next or she was just up on the deck admiring my Rec Tec today.  Had two of them on the deck later in the day.  I don't like that.

Bullseye since 4/6/19

BC Buck

« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2018, 06:45:00 AM »

The mesquite smoke has dissipated and the brisket bagged and frozen.  I should've snap a few pics, but was rushed to get it sliced up.

I guess this one wants to be next or she was just up on the deck admiring my Rec Tec today.  Had two of them on the deck later in the day.  I don't like that.

Look like could be young jakes. Fall season, us Missouri boys would have one dressed and on smoker.

SurfAndTurf

• Using less gas.
« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2018, 11:53:49 AM »

DH has a turkey tag in October...
SurfAndTurf

grilltreats

« Reply #68 on: August 22, 2018, 12:29:04 PM »

Love the mods, even when they don't always work. I'm a little bit McGuyver/redneck and I'm always trying something!

I too, was concerned about the 9 flights of stairs ;D

Not a fan of mesquite smoke either. We have mesquite trees and I don't even save the limbs for the firepit.

SurfAndTurf

P.S. Tri tip Tuesday :cool:

At least I gave the downdraft mod a good try and didn't spend ~ $100 on the retail version.  I'm going to attempt the trough mod to prevent drips down the front coming off of the overlapping lid.  I don't have any fabricating machines, but think I can work with an aluminum strip and make it work.  The gasket is great for smoke leaks, but gets saturated and then the fan pressure blows the saturated grease beyond it.  I'm tired of having to clean the outer chamber frequently.

I wished I had mesquite wood around here.  I can understand why some are not in favor of it over some other woods.  It is somewhat of a strong flavor.  Lucky for me, my wife seems to like mesquite as she commented well again on the leftovers we had last night.  I picked up two whole packers so I still have one to cook later on and may try some different smoke with it for variety.  I couldn't pass up brisket at $2.99lb and then $1.99lb on the second one.  Probably will never see that price again. Gotta love tariff war prices at least in the short term.

I'm not sure I understand the stairs thing.  Sometimes I wished I didn't have them, but it is what it is.  One set has nine steps and the other set has eight steps due to a sloping yard.

I bought a tri-tip to try, but I don't think it was a true tri-tip.  It didn't look like what others have posted pics of.  It was in three strips in the package.  I didn't care for it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 12:33:01 PM by grilltreats »
Bullseye since 4/6/19

SurfAndTurf

• Using less gas.
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2018, 03:12:39 PM »

You said "9 FLIGHTS" of stairs in your first post. A couple of us think a flight of stairs is about 10 steps or so and that you were trying to move your big grill to the 9th floor of a tall building!!
SurfAndTurf

grilltreats

« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »

You said "9 FLIGHTS" of stairs in your first post. A couple of us think a flight of stairs is about 10 steps or so and that you were trying to move your big grill to the 9th floor of a tall building!!

LOL, I didn't catch that.  Thanks for helping me out with that!  No wonder there were questions.  I was thinking folks didn't believe me, but now I feel better. I'm not very well spoken and I know that well.  I'll need a lot of room on this forum with my words and spelling that's for sure.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

rfdong

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2018, 09:55:17 AM »

Okie,

Any more thoughts on the Don Godke? 

grilltreats

« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2018, 10:50:57 AM »

Okie,

I never used the Don Godke mod so can't really say much about them except I know they have a bypass vent up top.  With that you could vary the draft I suppose from full on.  My test with the DIY downdraft mod was to see if the grill would benefit from using the Don Godke mod and to avoid wasting ~$100.

I use a heat gasket around the interior lid which causes a lot more smoke to exit the grease port than without it.  This makes me think more heat circulates lower down too.  My DYI downdraft mod enhanced that even more and caused the right side to heat up significantly more than the left side which I didn't like overall.  It was useful for the sear grates though when wanting more heat on the right side.  I prefer the grill to cook more evenly on both sides which it does without using the DIY downdraft mod and most likely the Don Godke mod.
Bullseye since 4/6/19

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2018, 08:03:24 PM »

Okie,

I've used it as directed (vent closed on low slow, and open on hot grilling). I think it may add a little "smoke" to the flavor for low slow but not sure I could document that.  I am leaving it on until I can be sure it is worth while.  Of course, it is easier to just leave it on the pit even if it makes little difference. (Laziness on my part?)

grilltreats

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2019, 02:22:42 PM »

I'm celebrating my one year anniversary with the RT-700 this week.  It has been a rock solid grill without any issues to report.  I'm still loving this grill and use it at least once per week if not sometimes more.  The new Bullseye has slowed my use of it down some during the week though.

The RT-700 has cooked multiple briskets, butts, chuck roast, whole chickens and packs of bacon to perfection to name some staples. Also, with plenty of sides to go with them.

There is not one rust spot I can find on it anywhere either.  It sits out on my exposed deck covered when not in use, but has seen plenty of rain while cooking or while cooling down.

It has been ran really hard with long 18 to 20 hours slow cooks many times under its belt.  I don't know when it will hiccup, but I still have a 5-year bumper-to-bumper warranty remaining which also includes the two meat probes. It is truly an amazing grill at a great value in my opinion.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 02:26:23 PM by grilltreats »
Bullseye since 4/6/19
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up