Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by GatorDave on 16 Jun 2018
  • 1.  Product Name: Oakridge BBQ Dominator Sweet Rib Rub

2.  Purpose of Product:  It's a rub for ribs.

3.  Pros and Cons of Product: It is absolutely fantastic.  Mostly all natural.  It is a nice blind of spicy and sweet.  On the downside, it is a little pricey and does contain Maltodextrin.

4.  My impressions and other thoughts on the product:  I just found my new favorite rub for ribs.  Wow is this stuff delicious.  I found it at a local BBQ store and that had a lot of rubs so I asked the guy what his favorite one on the shelf was.  He handed me this stuff and said trust me.  I like the sweet heat that it gives to the ribs.  I'm a big fan of sweet heat.  I also like the fact that there is very little artificial things in it, just the maltodextrin.

Here is a list of the ingredients on the back:

Raw cane sugar, sea salt, granulated honey, chilies (incl. ancho, paprika, guajillo, serrano, and chipotle), granulated garlic, black pepper, granulated onion, coriander, vietnamese cinnamon, yellow mustard, lime juice solids, other spices, and maltodextrin.

It is so good on ribs.  I'm in love.  Now, it is a rib rub, but I'm going to try it on other things, because I can't imagine it not being great on just about anything.

5. Would I recommend this product:  I would highly recommend it.  To me it is worth every penny.  It was $15 for a 1 pound bag.  If you like a nice sweet heat, this is a great rub to try.
  • #2 by DaisyCutter on 16 Jun 2018
  • I love the Black Ops brisket rub, so good.  :P
  • #3 by reubenray on 17 Jun 2018
  • How much of the cinnamon do you taste?  My wife hates that on meat.
  • #4 by GatorDave on 17 Jun 2018
  • How much of the cinnamon do you taste?  My wife hates that on meat.

I'll let you know as soon as I use it again.  I'm pretty sure there was some cinnamon flavor, but I was more paying attention to the sweet heat and I'm not sure if my recollections are correct.  On that first try I wasn't paying as close attention to the nuances of it.  I'm guessing their other rubs are going to be just as good.  If you go to their website, they list the ingredients of all of their rubs, so you should be able to find something you will like that doesn't have the cinnamon in it.
  • #5 by Kristin Meredith on 17 Jun 2018
  • Thank you for the excellent review.  It is great when we can get some first hand insight from an actual consumer on the product!
  • #6 by Bentley on 17 Jun 2018
  • Thank you.
  • #7 by ArborAgent on 17 Jun 2018
  • I mix that with a bit of their habanero death dust to get a sweet and hot rub. Amazing for wings!!
  • #8 by reubenray on 17 Jun 2018
  • This post reminded me that I got a sample pack a few years ago and we liked it.  I ordered some Dominator Sweet Rib Rub and some Black OPS Brisket Rub.
  • #9 by ZCZ on 07 Apr 2022
  • This rub was part of my rub mix that I used on my ribs in the 2015 Royal. Ended up less than 5 points out of first place (24th place) so yes, it is a good rub.
    Recipe/method that I used for the Royal is in the recipe section under Pork.
    Alan J
  • #10 by glitchy on 08 Apr 2022
  • Oakridge makes some great rubs for sure. I use several of theirs. Secret Weapon is my pork butt go to and habenaro death dust is great on wings and rib trimmings…well probably racks of ribs too, but that would be a lot of heat on a rack of St. Louis ribs.
  • #11 by reubenray on 08 Apr 2022
  • I now use the Sweet Dominator rub on all of my pork and the Black Ops rub on all of my beef. 
  • #12 by Canadian John on 08 Apr 2022

•  Love it when a rub comes together - paraphrase.
  • #13 by reubenray on 16 Dec 2023
  • I am on my last bag of Dominator Sweet Rib Rub.  Has anyone found a close alternative for it?  I did ribs yesterday with just the rib rub (no BBQ sauce) and it tasted great.
  • #14 by focuspuller on 16 Dec 2023
  • Nothing I have found comes close to the flavor profiles of all the rubs from Oak Ridge BBQ....wish he sold the recipes instead of just folding up the company.
  • #15 by Canadian John on 17 Dec 2023

•  If someone is able to generate a similar recipe I would be interested giving it a try..

Pages:
Actions