Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by pmillen on 05 Jul 2018
  • I don't know much about the smaller pits that would, literally, sit on a pickup tailgate.  So chime-in and tell me which one you think may be my best choice for smoking, not grilling.

I suppose you'll have to consider power requirements, e.g., 12V or 110.
  • #2 by Matt_Hickman on 05 Jul 2018
  • Rec tec, traeger, green mountain make good tailgaters. Check out the rec tec mini.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• #3 by RWhyman on 05 Jul 2018
  • I bought a Davy Crockett and thought it sucked, so I sold it and bought a Traeger Junior with folding legs. That's the smoker I carry in our 5th wheel and it has served me well for what I need. I've used it for wings, ribs, pork chops, bacon and even burgers and steak. I've done a few full packers that turned out very well. I've run it off of an inverter connected to the camper batteries. Lately I've been using a 346wh portable UPS Battery backup from Chafon. I paid $261.00 for it on Amazon, but good luck finding one now. The price is way up now for some reason.
  • #4 by Th3Batman86 on 06 Jul 2018
  • I would go for the Traeger Jr. I owned one for many years (Was my intro smoker) and didnt let me down. Small enough for tailgating but big enough for a whole spatchcocked turkey. Some of the other "tailgating" models are just too small.
  • #5 by reubenray on 06 Jul 2018
  • I have been using my Traeger Junior with the tailgate kit for over 5 years with no issues.  Some of my best smokes have been in it while traveling in my motorhome across the country.
  • #6 by Matt_Hickman on 16 Jan 2019
  • Rec tec RT340 trailblazer is a really nice unit with folding legs.  Heavier duty construction ........and a nice PID controller with wifi now. 

https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-grills-trailblazer/

• #7 by rdsbucks on 16 Jan 2019
  • The Rec Tec for sure.
  • #8 by Bar-B-Lew on 16 Jan 2019
  • I've never used one, but the Camp Chef looks like it is pretty portable but is about 8# so may not be quite a tailgater.
  • #9 by Maynerd on 16 Jan 2019
  • I can't speak to the quality of this grill but I believe I saw somewhere Walmart had these on clearance for about 200

https://pitboss-grills.com/pit-boss-340
  • #10 by hughver on 16 Jan 2019
  • FWIW, if you are truly using it for tailgating, I think that almost any of the small grills will work. However, if you are going to use it in your RV, weight and ease of setup become a factor. I bought my DC for usage in conjunction with my 40' motorhome and that only lasted for one trip. For me, it was too heavy and inconvenient to horse in and out of the storage area (slide-out bin).   :2cents: 
  • #11 by Brushpopper on 16 Jan 2019
  • I have a Traeger Tailgater that I mounted on a cart.  It was like a newborn calf standing for the first time with the factory legs.  I didn't like the crazy temp swings with the factory controller and replaced it with the Ortech controller.  I've been really impressed with it once I did that.  All I cook on it are chicken breasts and poppers at 275 and cook everything else on the GMG DB.   :lick:
  • #12 by RWhyman on 16 Jan 2019
  • Rec tec RT340 trailblazer is a really nice unit with folding legs.  Heavier duty construction ........and a nice PID controller with wifi now. 

I have a Traeger Junior, but after researching the Rec Tec I think that would be my choice today. I haven't had any real problems with the Junior other than running out of pellets in the auger tube due to the design of the pellet box. Still had pellets in the box, they just won't all feed into the tube.
  • #13 by reubenray on 17 Jan 2019
  • I also have the Traeger Junior which was my first pellet smoker that I bought in 2013.  It has the tailgate kit and fits perfect in my motorhome or the back of my SUV.  It does just about anything I want it to do.
  • #14 by Matt_Hickman on 17 Jan 2019

I have a Traeger Junior, but after researching the Rec Tec I think that would be my choice today. I haven't had any real problems with the Junior other than running out of pellets in the auger tube due to the design of the pellet box. Still had pellets in the box, they just won't all feed into the tube.
    Yep. The rec tec is most definitely a better built unit. Although it is heavier , therefore holds its heat much better than the thin traeger models do.  Also,  you will not find a finer customer service than with rec tec.  It's world class.

• #15 by Matt_Hickman on 17 Jan 2019
  • The rec tec also has two onboard meat probes.  That's handy.

Pages:
Actions