Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steak knives?  (Read 8040 times)

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
Re: Steak knives?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2019, 05:46:10 PM »

He was here 3 days ago.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

BigDave83

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • South West PA
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2019, 06:27:31 PM »

I have a set of these.  I bought them years ago after using them at one of Emeril's restaurants in New Orleans.  I was not happy with the set I have.  Upon further review, it looks like maybe I just need to sharpen them.  Will try that and see if they work better than the serated steak knives I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Jean-Dubost-Laguiole-Knives-Acrylic/dp/B00KBM6SEE/ref=sxin_3_ac_d_pm?ac_md=2-1-QmV0d2VlbiAkMTAwIGFuZCAkMjAw-ac_d_pm&crid=3GHPTZPMS0XO9&keywords=laguiole+steak+knives&pd_rd_i=B00KBM6SEE&pd_rd_r=f1651dee-bea1-4d0f-9231-fa3b23b01be8&pd_rd_w=As0Cd&pd_rd_wg=Uuv02&pf_rd_p=aba5dc0d-7593-4752-a14d-357ecc5c98cc&pf_rd_r=5CCG354B82WQBMW7H5NM&psc=1&qid=1575926025&sprefix=lagui%2Caps%2C175

are these folding knives? They look pretty nice.

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2019, 06:41:50 PM »

They are not folding.  Just look like they are.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

Bar-B-Lew

• Global Moderator
  • You don't Drink the Kool-aid anymore.
  • Schnecksville, PA
    • Bar-B-Lews Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2019, 07:39:12 PM »

So I just took one of those knives and ran it through my manual sharpener a few times.  Quite a big difference.  I really like them now compared to what I had been using.  They will now be my meat knives when I am eating.
MAK 2*, Memphis Elite, Traeger XL, Blaz'n Grand Slam, Pit Boss Copperhead 5, Weber Genesis II 435 SS, Sizzle Q SQ180

pmillen

• Global Moderator
  • You are starting to smell like smoke.
  • This pistol is most fun for the buck
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2019, 09:07:12 PM »

So I just took one of those knives and ran it through my manual sharpener a few times.  Quite a big difference.  I really like them now compared to what I had been using.  They will now be my meat knives when I am eating.

It pleases me that you salvaged them.  They appear to be quite a nice set—pleasingly graceful and stylish.  Now, you've added functional.
Paul

MAK 2-Star – M Grills M-36 – Hunsaker Drum – Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle – PK Grill – Masterbuilt 1050 – Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Drive & Blower

okie smokie

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Live fast, die young, have a good looking corpse.
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2019, 11:48:15 AM »

they tear rather than cut.

I agree 100%, the tighter the serration spacing the worst they are. Some well spaced ones are tolerable but not for me.  :2cents:
Agree with your comment.  Serration does provide sharpness that is much longer lasting, as the indented part does not contact the plate surface, while it can still be effective on the food it is cutting. It is a trade off. ?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up