Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Time At Sausage  (Read 413 times)

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
First Time At Sausage
« on: September 16, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »

Thanks to Bentley for the recipe.  He's right.  It's like nothing I've ever tried.  It's pleasant, meaty and satisfying.  Hat's off!

Right on to the friction of the day

yorkdude

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • Lake Elbo-Manhattan Kansas
Re: First Time At Sausage
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:18:07 AM »

Wow, you created those beauties on the 1st go?
They look fantastic.

triplebq

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • If you are looking you ain't cooking
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:44:53 AM »

Very nice
Orion Smoker Blaz'n Grid Iron Cookshack FEC-120 Cookshack Charbroiler CB036

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:38:17 AM »

Is this what I call the "German"?  I must be honest, maybe it is the picture, but I dont believe I have ever made a sausage that had color like that!  I am glad you like it, I have found many who tell me the black pepper and garlic is just to much for them!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 11:48:12 AM »

Thanks, all.  Yes, first go.  Yes to Bentley; this is the German, and the color is quite misleading.  They sat in the refrigerator overnight in a hotel pan, and the portions that became somewhat dry are significantly different in color than the sides that were in contact with the pan and remained moist.  Both sides are shown in the pics. 

The casings are surprisingly easy to work with, and the sausage stuffer made life very easy. 

cookingjnj

• Thinkin about Renouncing Charcoal.
  • Branchburg, New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 09:42:47 PM »

Wow, looks great Sparky. Will have to g back and check out Bent’s recipe. Those look awesome.

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 05:34:12 PM »

Tried a different recipe today, the only ingredients outside of the meat and fat were heavy cream, eggs, ground ginger and nutmeg (salt and white pepper, too). 

These were amazing.  I made about 12 lbs. of batch, and used probably over 16' of casing!  I smoked the ring pictured along with a bacon I had going.  I really stuck to procedure regarding cold, cold, cold.  My fingers were numb from mixing, was too much ingredient to put in the stand mixer.  I had the grocery store grind 2 butts and bought a pkg. of ground round.  Everything except for two rings were made into standard links.  The links are a bit more consistent than the first try.  I did have a blow-out, but the mixture was so cold, that might have been the culprit. 

I'm really surprised at how no spice is discernible in the recipe, but I can't quite describe the taste.  It's maybe between a Polish sausage and a bratwurst.  That and some mustard, game time. 
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 05:35:51 PM by SparkyLB »

SparkyLB

• Using less gas.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 05:39:54 PM »

Wow, looks great Sparky. Will have to g back and check out Bent’s recipe. Those look awesome.

Here's Bentley's recipe, hope he doesn't take offense to plagiarism.  :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I usually make a 5lb. batch, but since I got the digital scale I use metric because it is more accurate with the small quantities.  Will give you both.  Not sure it is a "true" German sausage, but it is always what I thought of.  And it is nothing like a Bratwurst , so if you are looking for that flavor, this will not be it.  Some might say it is a hybrid of a Brat and a Kielbasa!  You have to like pepper and garlic to enjoy this sausage!

4 1/2lbs. Pork---2100g (I like about 75/25 lean/fat,you will have to determine what is best for you)
1/2lb Chuck---110g
3 oz. minced Garlic---85g
3 Tbs. Course cracked Black pepper---60g
1 1/2 Tbs. Salt---30g
2 Tbs. Dextrose (I can never find it so I use light corn syrup)---40g
2 tsp. Sodium phosphate (optional, I have it, and like it)---7g
2 tsp Mustard Seed---7g
2 tsp White Pepper---7g
1 cup of crushed Ice
1/2 tsp Cure #1---2.5g (Again, optional, I have it, it makes for a little safer smoking, but I have made and smoked lots of sausage without it)
1/2 cup red wine.

Grind meat, I like fine ground, it sounds like you like course.  I dont think it matters.  I mix all ingredient except meat in wine to dissolve.  Then mix it and ice into meat.  You can do by hand, or I have used both kitchenaid mixer with paddle, and Cuisinart with metal blade.  If I am going to pipe in casing I just do a quick blend to get mixed.  If I am going to use as bulk or chubb like for sausage patties I blend to more of a paste.

It can be eaten right away...but letting it sit in fridge 24 hours before eating should enhance the flavor.  I have never really smoked any before cooking, just grill and eat, so I cant really tell you if that will make it better or not.

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »

No issues here...I am just afraid it is a sausage that has a really small following!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: [1]   Go Up