Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by Bentley on 06 Feb 2019
  • Steel Wool?  I used a SS Chore Girl when I cleaned the one I had...
  • #17 by pmillen on 06 Feb 2019
  • I had a wood burning fireplace that drew combustion air from outdoors (with a bi-metal spring that controlled the air supply like a thermostat).  It had glass doors that weren't completely air tight so they would streak with a dark stain where the room air leaked in.  I think it was creosote that formed on the glass.

I cleaned it many times with ammonia and steel wool.  It didn't scratch the glass.
  • #18 by yorkdude on 06 Feb 2019
  • I had a wood burning fireplace that drew combustion air from outdoors (with a bi-metal spring that controlled the air supply like a thermostat).  It had glass doors that weren't completely air tight so they would streak with a dark stain where the room air leaked in.  I think it was creosote that formed on the glass.

I cleaned it many times with ammonia and steel wool.  It didn't scratch the glass.
    I guess I just overthought it, seems like it would scratch it but if Bentley used one and you do as well, I did.
    It just sounded like a bad idea but maybe is the way to save on the elbow grease.
  • #19 by hughver on 06 Feb 2019
  • When I had fireplaces with glass doors up in the NW, I used a product that was made specifically for fireplace glass and it worked great. Sorry, I cannot remember the name but I bought it at a fireplace shop.
  • #20 by Canadian John on 07 Feb 2019
  •  
     Steel wool will scratch. Don't use a glass cleaner either. If it has ammonia in it it will etch the glass..Fireplace/wood stove glass isn't glass - it's ceramic and requires a proper fireplace glass cleaner that is readily available and inexpensive. Most hardware stores should have it..Cerama Bryte is a good product to use..The key is to keep ahead of build-up by cleaning often.
  • #21 by bregent on 07 Feb 2019
  • I use Weiman's Glass cooktop cleaner on our cooktop and glass fireplace window.
  • #22 by Free Mr. Tony on 09 Feb 2019
  • Broke it in today with a hunk of roast beef, and a spatchcocked turkey. Beef was great. Haven't tried the turkey yet. Made it basically just for sandwich meat.

• #23 by yorkdude on 09 Feb 2019
  • Looks good. You will have fun with it.
  • #24 by pmillen on 09 Feb 2019
  • Yes.  It looks very good.  I don't recognize the roast.

What is the seasoning?
  • #25 by Free Mr. Tony on 09 Feb 2019
  • Yes.  It looks very good.  I don't recognize the roast.

What is the seasoning?

It's bottom round. Bottom and top round were BOGO at Kroger this week. I may make some jerky with the other. For roast beef I use kosher salt, course black pepper, garlic powder, and lakeshore drive seasoning from the Chicago Spice House.

Turkey was brined for a few hours, and seasoned just with oil, very light salt, and course pepper.
  • #26 by Canadian John on 10 Feb 2019

•  Mighty good looking- just has to taste good.
  • #27 by Bentley on 10 Feb 2019
  • I was thinking round, but the picture reminded me of Sirloin!
  • #28 by Free Mr. Tony on 10 Feb 2019

Top round is typically more tender, but the bottom round usually has a more uniform shape and grain pattern.  Better for doneness consistency, and easier for slicing on the slicer. I always load up on the Sirloin roasts when they go on sale.
  • #29 by Bar-B-Lew on 10 Feb 2019

Top round is typically more tender, but the bottom round usually has a more uniform shape and grain pattern.  Better for doneness consistency, and easier for slicing on the slicer. I always load up on the Sirloin roasts when they go on sale.

I had about 60# of rounds in my freezer before I made jerky.  Got them for about $2.15/# on average.  I was buying them on sale too.
  • #30 by Bentley on 10 Feb 2019
  • It would be to expensive for me, but I wonder how tri-tip would do for jerky?
Pages:
Actions