Pellet Fan

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to Pellet Fan!

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let's talk turkey...  (Read 3245 times)

W6YJ

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
Re: Let's talk turkey...
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 11:46:58 AM »

That shouldn't be necessary, Kristin.

The search with the keyword spatchcock will produce a hit on spatchcocked in the same way that you'll get a hit when your search word is part of a larger word (i.e., press will return pressure).

At least, that's how my searches work.

After seeing this, I think I've figured out why my searches didn't get Paul's older post.

Searching for spatchcock (with 'ed' and without) from:
Home page      36   53
This thread       2    7
Paul's thread    3    5

So, it was my error as I didn't realize searching doesn't automatically start searches from the home page, but from where ever you start from.

hughver

• Friends Want you to cook way to much.
  • University of Louisiana
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 02:11:50 PM »

Good to know, I've make that mistake many times.  :clap:
--Hugh -- Sun Lakes, AZ. Traeger Select W/SS4, BGE-L, Charbroil Inferred Gas, Smokey Mountain Vertical Gas

RWhyman

• Starting to taste the Smoke.
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2019, 04:48:45 PM »

I always spatchcock my turkey. Today the leg/thighs got to temp a lot sooner than the breast. Normally everything reaches the proper pull temp at the same time. 158º for the breast, 168º for the dark meat. My reasoning is because it a 20 lbs er. Another reason I like the spatchcock method is the ease of pulling the dark meat early. I can't remember what temps I've used in the past. Today I did 200º for about an hour then bumped to 360º. Maybe in past years I've used a lower final temp. I went for a higher temp to get a crisper skin. The breast is still on the Yoder, now at 144º.
Blaz'n Grand Slam, Yoder 640, 36" Blackstone Griddle, RecTec 340 & 22" Blackstone Griddle in the 5th Wheel

RSNovi

• Knows what a Pellet Is.
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2019, 09:14:03 PM »

I have an 18 pound turkey that I will be putting into the Pit Boys Apple Cider brine this morning.  Then I plan to smoke it at 225 for about 2 hours and then turn up the heat to 325 for another 4 hours or so.

I am thinking smoke breast side up, then go breast side down for a bit with high heat, and then finish breast side up.  I might be over complicating it there.

This is all done on a PG500.

This ended up being my best turkey to date.  The brine did impart flavor and both the breast and thighs were done at the same time.
Cookshack PG500 Cookshack SM025 Blackstone 36

Bentley

• Administrator
  • Your at the point in life...one pit is enough...
  • Mayberry
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2019, 01:00:34 PM »

Good for you!
"‘One who puts on his armor should not boast like one who takes it off.’”
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up