Pages:
Actions
  • #16 by reubenray on 24 May 2020
  • I started the troubleshooting shown in the YouTube video and the auger was not turning.  I then cleaned out the hopper and vacuumed as much pellets as I could out.  The auger will turn for a second or two and then stop.  I can turn the auger a little with my hand.  I sent this info to GMG.
  • #17 by Brushpopper on 24 May 2020
  • Hope you found the problem!
  • #18 by just4fn on 24 May 2020
  • Disconnect the bbq from the outlet. The 1st thing I would do is unplug the auger motor and the power connection at the controller.  plug the auger motor into the power connection.  Plug the bbq back in. If the auger motor fails then, it's the auger motor. If it continues to run indefinitely then it's the controller.  I've had a bad controller one time.   
  • #19 by Bentley on 24 May 2020
  • Is the shear pin broken?
  • #20 by reubenray on 24 May 2020
  • Is the shear pin broken?

Being it turns a little each time I turn it on I would not think so.  Also if the shear pin was broken wouldn't it turn freely?  I sent an email to GMG with what I found out.  For the Memorial Day cook I will use my Traeger Junior.
  • #21 by pmillen on 24 May 2020
  • Disconnect the bbq from the outlet. The 1st thing I would do is unplug the auger motor and the power connection at the controller.  plug the auger motor into the power connection.  Plug the bbq back in. If the auger motor fails then, it's the auger motor. If it continues to run indefinitely then it's the controller.  I've had a bad controller one time.

I'm not a pellet pit Tech, but this looks like an excellent suggestion.
  • #22 by reubenray on 24 May 2020
  • I got a reply back from GMG and he suggested the shear pin.  He wants me to call him for instructions on how to do this.  But it is 90 degrees at my smoker right now.  Has anyone done this?
  • #23 by Bentley on 24 May 2020
  • Been so long I don't remember.  As I recall it entailed removing the hopper from the barrel, but I would almost bet GMG has a video for you.  Would have thought they would have directed you to it by now though...

If it is shear pin, this Should give you an idea of whats coming.  You might be able to get to it once you get to about the 1:40 mark of this video!
  • #24 by reubenray on 24 May 2020
  • Been so long I don't remember.  As I recall it entailed removing the hopper from the barrel, but I would almost bet GMG has a video for you.  Would have thought they would have directed you to it by now though...

If it is shear pin, this Should give you an idea of whats coming.  You might be able to get to it once you get to about the 1:40 mark of this video!

I watched the auger replacement video, but it never mentioned nor showed the cotter pin location.  Being they did not point me to the video I am hoping it would be simpler than replacing the auger. 

Being it is 90 degrees in the shade I will call GMG in the morning.
  • #25 by just4fn on 25 May 2020
  • I kind of gave you bad advise.  You cant just plug the auger into the power side because it's  the same plug.  What you can do is plug the auger into the inducer fan connector and the inducer into the auger.  When you turn on the controller the auger should run all the time just like the inducer fan would.  If it does then you have a bad controller. If it quits then the auger motor is bad.
  • #26 by reubenray on 27 May 2020
  • I removed the hopper and the cotter pin has not sheared.  I am waiting on GMG for the next option.  I am hoping it is the control panel and not the auger. 

I am debating on repairing this are not.  One option is if the auger has to be replaced I might as well replace the igniter also.  This would be around $150 for a smoker that I only paid $400 for 5 years ago. 

Another option would be to spend this money on a new smoker.  I may be able to get something for the old one.  Yes a new smoker would be nice, but I have some mods on this one that I don't want to give up.  The most important one is the rotisserie. 
  • #27 by Clonesmoker on 27 May 2020
  • Do you hear the fan blowing when you start it up?

I did email GMG and they sent me a youtube video to watch and how to troubleshoot it.  I will do this tomorrow morning.

I replaced the combustion fan last year.

How old is your DB?
  • #28 by reubenray on 27 May 2020
  • Do you hear the fan blowing when you start it up?

I did email GMG and they sent me a youtube video to watch and how to troubleshoot it.  I will do this tomorrow morning.

I replaced the combustion fan last year.

How old is your DB?

5 years  -  I replaced the combustion fan last year.  If I replace the auger assembly, the temperature sensor and the igniter everything would be new except for the control panel.
  • #29 by just4fn on 27 May 2020
  • I removed the hopper and the cotter pin has not sheared.  I am waiting on GMG for the next option.  I am hoping it is the control panel and not the auger. 

I am debating on repairing this are not.  One option is if the auger has to be replaced I might as well replace the igniter also.  This would be around $150 for a smoker that I only paid $400 for 5 years ago. 

Another option would be to spend this money on a new smoker.  I may be able to get something for the old one.  Yes a new smoker would be nice, but I have some mods on this one that I don't want to give up.  The most important one is the rotisserie.

You wouldn't have to replace the whole auger asm, just the motor.  I would call gmg and talk to service and see if you could buy the motor only.  If the igniter is working leave it be.  You can always buy one later on if needed. GMG usually will work with you.  More than likely its just the motor
  • #30 by Bar-B-Lew on 27 May 2020
  • My advice would be that if you are going to be tearing it apart to replace an auger, motor, or controller that you should replace the igniter rod and be done with it.  They don't last very long and you have it for five years and use it quite a bit.  It is also not very expensive.  You can keep the one you pull out to use in an emergency or just manually ignite pellets in the fire pot, get a good fire going, and then turn on the controller and it should stay lit.
Pages:
Actions