Pages:
Actions
  • #1 by Bentley on 31 May 2021
  • I think this might be the one!  I also believe I maybe able to pull of the Onion Volcano with this griddle.  I will be curious to see how it seasons.  It is much heavier then I though it would be!

• #2 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 May 2021
  • How is the cross bracing underneath it?  Some of the reviews that I have read on Amazon said it warped during cooking.  I am not sure if those folks had the burner turned on high while using.  Are you going to give us a review of this item?
  • #3 by Bentley on 31 May 2021
  • One of the few things I have bought that I did not read reviews of.  I was looking at them a moment ago too.  I see the 2 most recent complaints about warping came from folks that look like they were using it on outdoor grills.  Not sure if using it indoors on a range will make a difference or not.  I see that many of the warp issues in 2019 were from units with no bracing.  I see one of the most recent warp review was the 18 x 18.  I am going to assume that the most recent warp review of the 32 x 18 had the cross bars, but I do not under stand why you would put the unit in a gas grill what I would consider backwards.  You have the grease tray area at the back and the high sided backing in the front.  To me that makes no sense.  To under stand what I am saying, imagine I turned the grill 180° from how it sits in the 1st photo, and put it in my gas grill.  I just don't get why you would do that.

As far as a review, I will just post my cooks on it over the next few days in here and then maybe just move it to the Review section.  No moving parts, no knobs, pretty simple.  I guess it warps or it does not, I think we will all be curious to see how that goes, as it says it can take 600°, and I will probably push it to those limits.  I think I will have pretty good control on the range, the guys putting it in their gas BBQ and probably walking away...I wonder how hot those get, with 4 burners going?

• #4 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 May 2021
  • I noticed that pick of the woman that was using it backwards.  Right away, I question anything I read after that when it seems like the cook doesn't know what they are doing and blame their equipment for something they probably caused.

That one you bought would fit my new gasser but it would fill up the entire cavity.  Not sure if I would need air flow around it or not.
  • #5 by Bentley on 31 May 2021
  • Reading responses from the manufacture regarding warping, it appears they are trying to say all will be well if even heat is applied.  Well if I want Left and middle burners on and want right off and cooler, I hope I do not have to deal with "even heat" distribution issues.

The think is built like a tank.  It is 25 lbs, I can't imagine it warping, but I have been surprised before!

I am more concerned about seasoning, or if it even needs it.  I guess I will just treat it like the gas griddle at the Fire station and it will discolor over time.
  • #6 by Bar-B-Lew on 31 May 2021
  • You could probably make almost 20 smash burgers on that griddle at the same time.
  • #7 by Bentley on 31 May 2021
  • Started to season it, and realized, no need!

• #8 by Bentley on 31 May 2021
  • For me, not sure.  I saw a video yesterday from 2013 and the owner of smash burger was demonstrating to the media how a Smashburger was made.  I found it interesting that his are nothing like what I do, no how they smashed them in the S. Korean video.  He has a pressing device like pmillen posted, with the raised edge (finally know what that is for).  I finally found out that according to the owner, they use just enough beef so that it smashes out but as it does that, that lip seals the patty.  He said that they hold the device in place for 10 seconds.  It I guess not only makes for good contact and great crust, but according to him locks in the juice's.  So I found that interesting.  With his method, I could see your number, with my technique of smash and slide, I would be lucky to do 8!

You could probably make almost 20 smash burgers on that griddle at the same time.
  • #9 by pmillen on 31 May 2021
  • Started to season it, and realized, no need!

I tried to season my stainless steel griddles twice.  It flaked off.  I should have realized that—it's stainless.

So, when I use it now, I squirt water on it and scrape.  I wish my grease trough were deeper.  Lately, I've stayed with my Blackstone with the rear grease drain.
  • #10 by BigDave83 on 31 May 2021
  • probably some of the biggest things to help keep it from warping is not putting on a large amount of ice cold product to cook with the griddle very hot. People seem to do that with their blackstones and have issues.

That is a pretty nice griddle, hope it works out better than the RG did for you. My cousin loves theirs for at home.
  • #11 by Bar-B-Lew on 01 Jun 2021
  • How long are you going to keep us in suspense before showing us something your are making on that griddle?
  • #12 by Bentley on 01 Jun 2021
  • I did a few things this evening, but I am coming to believe it is to big for the range.  I am almost think it needs to go back, or I need to buy a camp stove it will fit on, and be able to take the wind and keep it out side.  It simply is not as even a heat as I though it would be on the range.  Stay tuned.
  • #13 by pmillen on 02 Jun 2021
  • Gee, Bently, maybe you should consider a Blackstone or similar.  Wind blockers are available.
  • #14 by Bentley on 02 Jun 2021
  • I can't figure out why some one does not make an electric one that is this big.  Even heating.
  • #15 by GREG-B on 02 Jun 2021
  • I can't figure out why some one does not make an electric one that is this big.  Even heating.

Probably because it would require more than 1500W current to power something that large and get it up to the desired temperature.  Most kitchen circuits are 15amp breakers and would blow with a load large enough to power it up.
Pages:
Actions